Mara Jade Holster/Blaster---Now with other costume questions.

Slash-5

Sr Member
So... I am a photographer (www.robertjewett.com), who has a model that wants to do a Mara Jade shoot. So...we are putting it together. Here is the blaster I put together along with the leather holster. I am not happy with it so far (the leather had thin spot), but I think it's fine for what we are doing. What say you?

4156544904_4318a5b479.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mara Jade Holster/Blaster

The blaster and holster look great. Unless I am missing something, that's not Mara's blaster.

is this it...I'm not up on the non-classic SW characters

http://chucrew.com/Mara/MaraBlaster.htm

On a couple book covers she has a DL-44.

Luke_mara_remnant.jpg

216572-172220-mara-jade_large.jpg

Mara-Swarm_War-Japan_cover.jpg

And, a DL-44 is approved by the RL. Generally, it is accepted if it is Luke's model, not Han Solos.

http://www.rebellegion.com/about_standards.php?id=12143

But, I am very, very new to this...so, I could be wrong. I have tried to research this the best I can...but apparently, she is a "non-Cannon" charater (I have no idea what that means)... :confused

Last edited:

But, I am very, very new to this...so, I could be wrong. I have tried to research this the best I can...but apparently, she is a "non-Cannon" charater (I have no idea what that means)... :confused

"Canon" referes to something being "official".
Now this all depends on who you talk to, but many consider anything that was not in the Star Wars movies "non-canon", as in it never really existed...so to speak. If it was not put down by the hand of George Lucas, it's not really official.
But this can apply to anything. Star Trek, the A-Team, V...anything.

You should check out the rest of Pam's site. The belt and holster are also very specific to Mara Jade.

http://chucrew.com/Mara/MaraJade.htm

"Canon" referes to something being "official".
Now this all depends on who you talk to, but many consider anything that was not in the Star Wars movies "non-canon", as in it never really existed...so to speak. If it was not put down by the hand of George Lucas, it's not really official.
But this can apply to anything. Star Trek, the A-Team, V...anything.

What about licensed books or comics? Does this count?

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, for the Rebel Legion, there are different levels of "canon".

I never knew Mara carried a DL-44, but I haven't read all the graphic novels she's been in. I like your holster, though I always bevel the edges on my leather work. :)

I say, go for it. If you know about Pam Simpson's Mara Jade site, you are on the right track.

Well, for the Rebel Legion, there are different levels of "canon".

I never knew Mara carried a DL-44, but I haven't read all the graphic novels she's been in. I like your holster, though I always bevel the edges on my leather work. :)

I say, go for it. If you know about Pam Simpson's Mara Jade site, you are on the right track.

I always bevel the leather also (holsters and sheaths), but I am not done yet.... : )

What about licensed books or comics? Does this count?

Again, that all depends on who you ask. Many licensed books contradict each other on certain bits of information.
I recommend reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

If you read the book, it leaves you feeling a little :confused

Me personally, if I didn't see it on screen it didn't happen.

Mara used all kinds of weapons. However when she first appeared in the Zahn novels she used a smaller blaster in a forearm holster. Here's how they made it look in the comic:
maraholdout.jpg

Again, that all depends on who you ask. Many licensed books contradict each other on certain bits of information.
I recommend reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

If you read the book, it leaves you feeling a little :confused

Me personally, if I didn't see it on screen it didn't happen.

With Star Wars i am the same way. I stop after jedi because the others were overall terrible movies in my " old -school" mind. Kinda like T1/T2 good ..after terrible...

With Star Wars i am the same way. I stop after jedi because the others were overall terrible movies in my " old -school" mind. Kinda like T1/T2 good ..after terrible...

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I was going to ask all of these questions prior to buying/building stuff, but the enrollment was closed. I am a bit stressed because I have a bit of $$$ into this so far, and I want it to be as good as I can.

On the other hand, this is not what I do every day, so I think we have done OK so far.

I just purchased the WWII RAF goggles, she is getting the costume made, and basic shin guards are on order (these might need modification, however). I have a friend working on the "back-pack" armor thing, and the cowl is in process... I have a friend with the Mara Jade light saber, so I think we are in pretty good shape.

So. What types of images would you like to see? I am thinking of duplicating some of the poses from the comic book, so if you have some you'd like to see, feel free to link to them.

Right, now it looks like we will be shooting these outdoors at the sand dunes in Yuma the first quarter or so of next year.

I am part of the 501st Star Wars Costuming Legion. I joined earlier this year but from I have read a "canon" character is one that has been documented in at least 3 Lucasfilm licensed properties (comic books, novels, action figures, video games).

BTW, I'll agree that Pam Simpson's Mara Jade is one of the first complete and best versions I've seen.

As for images, anythign with me in them???

Comic images are a good start. Maybe some generic Tough girl poses. Maybe using Lara Croft as a inspiration

OK, I am going to try to make the "tabs" at the end of the belt today.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Since we are doing the DL-44 holster/belt combo, I am going to go with the Luke/Han tabs (if I can pull it off)...I have a small plate of steel from the hardware store. It looks like the tabs on the belt itself are riveted onto the leather directly, while the tabs for the holster strap have slots for the strap. Has any one else done this? I'll also need to add a post to the back of the buckle for this...geesh. This is shaping up like work. : )

In The Emperor's Hand comics, she had a Vader ROTJ saber. In some images she has a DL44. In one of the video games she has a cool golden lightsaber. I think there's wiggle room in terms of what is "official" Mara Jade, since as an EU character she's been in 40 years' worth of stories.

OK. here we are with this prop.

Beveled the edges of the leather, re-stained to add texture; cut, ground, and hammered out the tabs. I've used real leather, rivets and sheet aluminum...I also distressed them and roughed them up a bit.

I may sandblast the buckles and add paint for realistic looking grime. The back pretty much looks the same as the front.

Excuse the bad photography, I was in a hurry...it's just a snapshot.

4161062486_c69353b290.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back