Done / Completed Mando Beskar Ingot in METAL - TWO RESERVES LEFT

Hi put me down for a metal one please. Just one question on the options though so I understand correctly. Is the smooth version just without the wave pattern on it and the textured one has it?

mot take it the wave pattern is more so under the surface and it’s still smooth to the touch?

Hi put me down for a metal one please. Just one question on the options though so I understand correctly. Is the smooth version just without the wave pattern on it and the textured one has it?

mot take it the wave pattern is more so under the surface and it’s still smooth to the touch?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but this version will have the wavy pattern AND be smooth to the touch, if that's what you're asking.

(At first I was thinking of doing a version with the pattern "engraved" but scrapped that idea since it would not be accurate.)

Interested in metal Option 1

OK, it looks like I went a head a little too fast on this and some changes in the first thread weren't going through or maybe got cached in browsers, creating some confusion. Apologies for that everyone, I'm just so hyped about this show! I've gone through the posts in the thread and (hopefully) clarified a little!

To repeat:
  • This run only has ONE option: metal, with the stamp cast-in and the wavy pattern transferred to the block as a final layer (which is how it was likely done on the show).
  • I MAY have the layer-pattern added by dipping, but I'm a little afraid the cost estimate (it could jump up to another $50 each if I print a custom film) and sharpness quality will not hold up so if I can't, it will be added the same way as on the prototype.
  • A resin version IS still being discussed, but will be handled separately by another RPFer.

Current status:

I did some more tests yesterday (after watching the latest ep). Nothing noteworthy to show, just making sure my methods will hold up for this and looking at some new ref. Will be making some final tweaks to the model this weekend.

I've been crunching the numbers based on current signups and I think this will land on $140 plus shipping (unless the estimates the foundry has given me changes). I will send out a final printed copy to the foundry after this weekend and ask them to make ONE casting to evaluate and while they're doing that, I'll collect deposits ($40 I think) to secure spots. (IF I end up having extras made, they will cost more once the run is started.)

Once the foundry shows the first casting as a quality-proof, I will tell them to start production and order all the finishing supplies I need. I don't know yet how long it will take to cast and finish, but count on a few weeks at the very least. (I would love to have them done before the holidays, but I don't think that's realistic since a lot of the time aspects are out of my control.) I have a couple weeks off around New Year and will probably do the bulk of finishing then, if all goes as planned.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but this version will have the wavy pattern AND be smooth to the touch, if that's what you're asking.

(At first I was thinking of doing a version with the pattern "engraved" but scrapped that idea since it would not be accurate.)

Got you thanks for adding me to the list

OK, update time!

The master ingot was printed over the weekend and sanded smooth for casting. I made the stamp a tad sharper, since it'll get a little softer during casting methinks:
1574670481253.png

It's now in the mail, on the way to the foundry and should reach them tomorrow or Wed. I also just spoke to them this morning and we are in agreement that they will do ONE test casting (and polishing) before they set a final price. It seems the polishing stage may drive up the price a little, so maybe it'll end up between $140-160 but I can't imagine the total will go out of that range and am still hoping for 140. Today, I will also put in an order for some finishing supplies.

Everyone on the signup list will get a PM soon. I will collect signups and deposits up until I see the first test casting from the foundry.

This is how it's going to go:
  • There will be a $40 deposit from those on the list to secure a spot. (The deposit will only be refunded if the run is canceled for some reason OR IF the cost goes higher than 160 excl. shipping- IF that happens you can opt to jump off.)
  • Deposits will be collected until I have the finished sample in-hand and have applied the pattern. (I.e. once I have and show the first finished ingot, signups will be locked.) I estimate the test casting will take 1-2 weeks, but it may get done sooner. (Count on the foundry being "poked" a little, haha.)
  • For those that don't get on the list pre-locking, but still want one later, the cost will probably increase by $25-50.

Why this way? First, those that support the run off the bat should get some appreciation for it- your trust all made it possible. Second, I want everyone to get their ingots ASAP and if I have the deposits already collected, I can with confidence give the foundry the go-ahead for full production a lot faster. (No one needs to worry- I am covering the costs of R&D and the first ingot myself.)

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to ask here or via PM.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back