Maltese Falcon

I think it shows that if you're not scrutinizing the two side-by-side, it's hard to spot the differences. Whereas with some replicas, it's obvious right away that it's nothing like the actual prop. Even the chest on MK's isn't very accurate, but it's close enough that you don't notice unless you're being nitpicky and happen to have some photos handy. Can't say it enough: Excellent work!

Couldn't agree more.

OZ,

Cast the bird. You could spend 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 years, tunning the sculpt and the pickers would still find nits. AND be wrong. Worst yet those pickers wont have the cash to purchase this work of art in the first place.

I do, and can't wait for the chance.

Cast away, when your up to it.
BrianM

smq39i.jpg

I started work on this ages ago, dropped about a days worth of work into it. With the upsurp of new images- I'm kinda itching to work on it again. I have a few projects to wrap up first. Would anyone here dig a scaled metal necklace pendant or a tiny scaled paper weight replica.

1:1 would cost to much.

I cannot wait to have one of these! Once they are done do we need to spray them with a matte black? I may have to add metal bits to the inside to simulate the lead (that's what the movie version was right?) If so, I know that little leg weights have some sort of iron sand that will do nicely to add some weight to the piece.

OZ,

Cast the bird. You could spend 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 years, tunning the sculpt and the pickers would still find nits. AND be wrong. Worst yet those pickers wont have the cash to purchase this work of art in the first place.

I do, and can't wait for the chance.

Cast away, when your up to it.
BrianM

Hey Brian. When are we having another get together at your house and then a tailgate party over at Rob's house to check out the DS?

Why is it that every time I see a beautiful Maltese Falcon sculpt, I want to grab some bricks of clay and do it myself?

I think I have to work on my impulse control a bit. :lol

-Nick

I cannot wait to have one of these! Once they are done do we need to spray them with a matte black? I may have to add metal bits to the inside to simulate the lead (that's what the movie version was right?) If so, I know that little leg weights have some sort of iron sand that will do nicely to add some weight to the piece.

Check out post #185!!

You will not need to do paint anything, you could go for the Black screen accurate resin bird, Weathered auction replica bird or the Cold Cast Bronze Art Bird!

The movie used lead and resin birds!

I'm already thinking which I will go for, I might have to go for the Black screen accurate and the Cold Cast Bronze Art bird!!!

Andy

This is my first post. I just had to register and post in this forum. I loved the book and I can really appreciate Adams goal of perfection. I really hope to get a Falcon some day.

I'm sorry to have brought all that up. I'm not the kind of guy that likes talking about his personal problems, but I felt it had gotten to the point that you all needed to understand why I was so damn moody. It's embarrasing, but when you're in pain (both physical and now mental) little things have a tendency of getting blown out of proportion.

So if everyone is cool with it, I'd appreciate it if we could all just forget about it and go back to being friends.

And don't even think that my little emotional maelstrom is going to impede the progess of the mighty Dingus. My sculpting work is in fact the best therapy I have. In fact, if anyone has any suggestions on what I could tackle next... suggestions are more than welcome. :lol

The resin birds will come shipped matte black unless the buyer requests otherwise. And regarding the weight, I'm considering making that an option as well. I just need to find a good source of lead shot and figure out what ranges I want to work with.

My plan was to run some experiments this weekend and post the figures once I had hard numbers. But since it's been brought up, now might be a good time to discuss this here so I can get some idea of what you guys would like in a final product.

Oz

smq39i.jpg

I started work on this ages ago, dropped about a days worth of work into it. With the upsurp of new images- I'm kinda itching to work on it again. I have a few projects to wrap up first. Would anyone here dig a scaled metal necklace pendant or a tiny scaled paper weight replica.

1:1 would cost to much.

Actually I was thinking of making a mini one as a stick shift for my Challenger. :lol

Holy friggin crap dude! All I can say is break out the pen and paper and start writing a wierd, dark comedy about your life. I hope all works out.
QUOTE]

Hell, that's nothing. You should hear about the time I was investigated by the FBI, knocked up a nun, talked her into a threesome with a witch, and then got court ordered to commit myself to an asylum for "evaluation". Now THAT was an interesting month!

And no, I'm not making any of that up. :lol That's actually how I spent my senior year spring break.

Worst yet those pickers wont have the cash to purchase this work of art in the first place.

Huh :confused Who is these 'pickers'?

Oz,best thoughts for you,hope everything went well,and that was the worst what could happen to you.

Oz, your life would make an interesting screenplay. You need Hollywood connections.

A weighted bird would be extremely nice, but I personnally am trying to do this on the thrift, so your gorgious black resin w/matte black finish will be the way for me.

-Mac

Ooh, forgot to mention. Pics of the first cast coming tommorrow.
Woooo! Cant wait to see it!

I'd love to have one with some heft to it, without going to the cold-cast bronze.

I mean, the dingus is supposed to be black, and getting the bronze for the weight and painting it black would be... a sin.

Please tell me you'll be doing two runs of these. I want to go for cold-cast bronze this time around (seeing as I already have an MK in poly), but I'd like to get a second black bird as well, alas fundage is becoming a problem lately.

The resin birds will come shipped matte black unless the buyer requests otherwise. And regarding the weight, I'm considering making that an option as well. I just need to find a good source of lead shot and figure out what ranges I want to work with.

My plan was to run some experiments this weekend and post the figures once I had hard numbers. But since it's been brought up, now might be a good time to discuss this here so I can get some idea of what you guys would like in a final product.

Oz

Sounds like you are going to be accommodating to everyones wants here which is great! :thumbsup

Just a quick question about the Cold Cast Bronze Bird you mentioned.

I know very early in this topic it was mentioned you might go with a Blackened Bronze bird... is this still what you are planning for this version? Also, will there be much difference in weight from the Resin bird to the cold cast bronze? Or is this still what you have to work out with using the lead shot??

Only if you are feeling ok and have the time I would love to hear more about the technique and materials/proportions that will be used in your bronze bird!! Please excuse my ignorance on this, I have done some research and some cold casting seems to include the bronze powder/resin mix just in the outercoat that gets spread on the mold, then this is filled with mainly resin, or some seem to use a high percentage of bronze powder in the mix....

For me personally an issue I have to take into consideration is the shipping costs to the U.K., these can be pretty crazy from the U.S. anyway.

Thanks for the update and looking forward to seeing your first cast!!!

Anyway, why are we still talking about the Falcon??? More on the Nun and and the Witch!!! :love

Andy

I would be interested in a black one out of resin (pending final price and shipping costs). can be light weight and hollow, maybe with the option to fill in inside with sand or whatever for cheaper shipping costs

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back