Mal Reynolds Firefly costume

I ask because the authorities on that stuff have been pretty clear that you can't find the belt buckle anywhere, and they would have asked the original maker. So unless he's casting them himself like QMx did, his belt buckle wouldn't be accurate.

I lucked out with a Logan coat. I'd been in contact with him about the coat (this is like, 9 years ago) and he called me up to let me know he got some lower grade deer hides in and would cut me a deal on the coat. I agreed and the deal was struck. A few days later, he called me back to say that he'd inspected the hides more closely and they were actually A grade hides, but he'd already made the deal and would honour it. I love the coat (despite the waist seam and the logo on the buckles), and wear it proudly.

Now that I've finally got the last piece of the costume completed (the boots), I'll be wearing the whole thing to Vancouver Fan Expo the weekend after next.

Thanks for all the ideas and information, but does anyone have a lead on how to find a screen accurate belt and buckle?
I'm searching Ebay for the WW2 East German stuff, but man is it pricey! Like $100 plus shipping and it's still not quite right.

Thanks and keep flying.

It should be noted that Mal's gun belt is NOT a WWII German officers belt after all.
This thread proves it.
fireflyprops.net ? View topic - Mal's Pistol Holster

I still think mine looks the part, though.

Thanks for the link Bronson BB, and while it's cool to know that it was a custom casting it still leaves me looking for a suitable substitute since I do leatherwork not metals. I only mentioned the WW2 buckles because it looks like that's what is most commonly used, but I'm having a hell of a time finding one for any reasonable price. I wonder if anyone would do a custom casting and what it would cost...But alas, my client needs the holster for Calgary ComicCon and I am running out of time.

I may have missed it but, does anyone know where to get the correct pants stripping and coat buckles? I bought a really nice brown coat from a guy but, it doesn't have the correct buckles. Most of the buckle pieces are correct. The clasps are wrong. I may have to try to make what I need, if I can't find some already made.
I purchased the correct suspender parts and have wheat pants on order. I found a place online that makes pretty good looking Mal boots for $149.42 shipped. I just couldn't find the shoes to make my own. I am now in the market for a shirt. I have a Mal pistol, holster, and belt. The belt is a bit wide but, am looking for the correct one now.
Any help anyone can provide, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also working on my first revision of a Mal build. I ordered the "Scully Rangewear Frontier Pants : Sand" from Wild West Mercantile. Got the IDF harness from ebay. For the boots I'm going with the Funtasma brown captain 100 boot just because I don't have the time or extra cash for anything more. Now the great stripe search has begun but I haven't had any luck finding a grosgrain ribbon that would seem to match. I'm kind of thinking the grosgrain ribbon should also have a brown bias tape trim on both sides as well to give it he right look. If anyone has a source for the side trim that would be greatly appreciated. I may go with a plain brown ribbon as a temporary stop gap until I can find something better.

This is such a useful thread. I'm hoping to make a rule 63 (femme) Mal cosplay for next year. Although will probably leave off the leather coat for budget and comfort reasons.
Any tips for femenising the cosplay? I'm struggling to find the right kind of shirt...so I think I may just sew it from scratch. I also have a high waist trouser pattern I can tweak to work.
The boots will probably be the hardest bit for me.
I could of course always go waaaay off piste with a bustle version. ;) 12710818_10208854671347315_4541140986398681393_o.jpg

The boots are definitely a challenge. Mine too me years to finally work up the gumption to complete, but I'm extremely happy with them. Definitely one of my more ambitious builds, but so worth it in the end.

Hye guys I'm gonna do a quick Mal cosplay I have 2 months and I was gonna make the belt myself but what would be a good thickness of leather? I found a cheap hide of 2,2 mm thick is it enough?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back