making vinyl look like weathered leather

Treadwell

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This

shotgunsm.jpg

looks like what it is: cheap vinyl.

I'm going to dirty it up, but I suspect it'll just look like dirty vinyl.

Any other ideas on making it look like leather? Sandpapering is just going to expose the fabric base so that's out.

Paint? Wood stain? Murphy's Oil Soap?

Wood stain may work (try it on a small part to see if it dries at all) but I've had good luck smearing thinned flexible acryilics (like liquitex or createx) onto things like this. I usually mix up a couple of browns and thin them down with alcohol or Liquitex airbrush medium and smear them on with a rag. Then I go over that with a super-thin wash of black, smeared on the same way.

Then sand off the edges (and anywhere you want a "rub") to expose the lighter vinyl color underneath. The lighter color appears as the natural leather showing through.

You can also do a few washes/smears of brown or black post-sanding as well to bring it all together.

Tom

automotive stores sell vinyl paints in all sorts of colors. You might try a black and a dark brown. Spray some on a rag, and 'dab' it on. Keep working it until you get the patina you want.

hey Jay,

Yeah, Michaels or AC Moore should have em... Createx will be by the airbrushes or maybe even the pen and ink stuff depending on store.

Forgot they make vinyl-specific auto spray. That's a great option as well.

T

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back