Making a Perfect Hand Mold Question

robertowen

Hey guys new to the forum but I was just wondering what it would take to cast perfect hand molds in various positions. Any help or guidance would be great!

From research I have seen that alginate is probably the best for doing this?

You can also cast resin into the alginate mold using water trap. Monster makers sells it. I tried it with the alginate, worked great

Last edited:
I'd go with skin-safe silicone- that way, you have a lot more options what you can cast into the negative, more expensive, though...

Alginate with a plaster bandage shell works well, you can also do a skin safe silicone with a plaster bandage shell. Body Double from Smooth will do.

Some people pour alginate or quick setting silicone into a pvc pipe or cardboard tube that is hot glued to a board then plunge their hand into the "goop". Fast & easy however it takes alot more material to fill. If you use the plaster bandage method apply a good thick layer all over your hand then lay wet plaster gauze onto only one half (either palm side or back side) and rub down to work out air. Allow to set. Brush about a three quarter inch wide coat of petroleum jelly or water clay slip/slurry along the edges where the other half will meet. Apply bandages on other half and overlap about a half inch onto edges of first half. Allow to harden. Pry shells open. You may be able to slide your hand out without making a cut in the rubber at the wrist but maybe you'll need a little slit. Don't cut yourself. There will be suction as you release your hand. The shells should then fit together nicely over your mold to hold its shape. If silicone you can fill it with resin or gypsum later. If alginate it should be poured immediately. Good luck!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back