Announcement Major site upgrade

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by Art Andrews, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

It has been a great many years (almost a decade) since we have made a major change with the forum software, but the time has come (been long overdue) to do so.

Sadly, the provider of our current platform simply has not been keeping up with technology, especially mobile devices and it is forcing us to seek another solution. This solution has already been implemented at our other sites, TheDentedHelmet.com, Predatorium.com, and 405th.com and has been very successful. We expect the same here. With that being said, whenever there is a move of this magnitude there are always lingering issues and problems and we do ask for your patience, especially with a site as large and as old as the RPF (which has been migrated more than 6 times by our count in the past).

We have been setting this process up for more than a year now and have had several false starts, but are confident we will be successful. We are looking at moving the week of Nov 4-10. The site is likely to be down for at least a couple of days followed by a couple of weeks to complete cleanup and implement all the little corrections that will be needed. We will close the site Sunday, Nov 4 at 10PM PST to begin preparation. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the site will be back up prior to Wednesday, Nov 7. This is the longest time we have been down since... well, since those idiot Russians hacked us. While we are down, please check out our sister sites:

https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums

https://www.405th.com/forums/

https://www.predatorium.com/forums/

Or you can check out our Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/therpf/

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

2. TK-326

TK-326 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

3. Art Andrews

Thanks! No pressure on this end at all... none... just, you know... not sleeping... night terrors... the usual. ;)

Darth Brass, Pro Mod and George like this.
  4. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

"Surely there must be something you can do."
    "I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!"

5. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck with the upgrade operation ! I hope it will all go smooth
    And above all: thanks for having created a hangout for us in the first place.It's the first thing I check when I wake up
    I expect withdrawal symptoms around the 5th :wacko

Art Andrews likes this.
  6. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Sounds good, Art! I look forward to seeing the improved mobile platform.

Any opportunity for us aspiring graphic designers to make new graphics or banners for ya?

Sean

7. Art Andrews

Possibly! The initial look will be very plain and basic, but we can add as we go!

8. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

THREE DAYS!!!

Why don’t you come by and kick me in the nads too?

:p

9. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Three days, huh? Assume the position.

C2D95E34-D718-4B0F-B7F1-EA2D3D58DD18.jpeg

11. PropReplicator2

PropReplicator2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck with the update, and hoping for good changes.. now I’ve gotta find something to do for 3 days:lol

George likes this.
  12. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

I......I......I......need my RPF........gotta have my fix........

Darth Lars and George like this.
  13. Seth Skywalker

Seth Skywalker Well-Known Member

Thank you all who are putting work into updating the rpf. Can't wait to see the new version!

George likes this.
  14. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue…

Good luck with the changeover, and thank you for taking such good care of this place!

George likes this.
  15. TerminatorEndo

TerminatorEndo New Member

Good luck with the update!

16. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Fingers crossed and all goes well.

17. Barking Dragon

Barking Dragon Well-Known Member

Nooooooo! Who am I going to talk to now for 6 days if it takes that long....don't force me to interact with the real world, I'm not ready for that!

But seriously, all the best with the update and I appreciate your efforts to keep such an amazing site kicking ;)

Regards dan

George likes this.
  18. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope everything goes according to plan fellas good luck..........WAIT A MINUTE .....................

3 whole days without the RPF !!!
    I don’t drink or smoke, what the hell am I going to do without you, I check in at least 6 times a day,
    3 days of rocking in my chair, looking at a picture of the RPF logo won’t cut it,
    OHHHHH NOOOOOO I’m going to have to talk to the wife !!!!!!! OMG your forcing me to go and buy more colouring books !!!
    I need more pens and crayons and paper and water yes water I need water and chips/crisps, chocolate, what else ? What else? 3 days of isolation from the RPF !!! I never thought this day would ever come !! Didn’t you guys ever stop to think of us addicts and what It would do to us.

I will be fine (sob sob sob)..........

it’s going to be fine, I’m going to be fine, ( repeat and chant, repeat and chant )
    oh look a butterfly

see you Wednesday im going for a long sleep !!! (starting Sunday night )

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    George likes this.
  19. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

DISHES! VACUUM CLEANING! COUNTING SHEEP (or Millenium Falcons...) ! AAAARGH !
    (Just razzing :D be brave y'all)

20. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you for all that you guys do for us. Long live the RPF!!!

George likes this.
  21. doppelganger

doppelganger Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm having cold sweats already, perhaps we can organise some kind of help group.

Hi... my names Rob and i'm an RPFaholic. Its been 3 days since my last visit.....and.....and....and I NEED IT BAAAAAACK.

Bengrim09 and George like this.
  22. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is good for me. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t log in for 3 days

gedmac66, Serenity and George like this.
  23. PlanetAlexander

PlanetAlexander New Member

I'm new here, and I'm interested about this Russian hacking...

24. Bulldog44

Bulldog44 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

But of luck with the upgrade! I don’t know what I am going to do for the next three days. Maybe I will pay more attention to my family.lol.

George likes this.
  25. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*. I may actually have to build something instead of just reading about things, drooling and spending money on stuff that piles up in my secret place in the cellar.

gedmac66, Bengrim09 and George like this.
  26. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How do i save a complete thread juat in case it might not make it to the new site? I am talking about a thread i had started a few years ago in thw ot.

27. Montagar

Shouldn't be an issue as we will have a backup of the original data.

gedmac66 likes this.
  28. Art Andrews

That was a very very dark time for us, but also a moment in which this community rallied in a way I have never seen. Once we are past the migration, it might be worth recounting.

Sundowner likes this.
  29. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is by far my favorite Internet hang out. Thank you for providing freaks like me a place to geek out. Best of luck with the migration!

Now to hunker down and try to make it through the next week without having major withdrawal symptoms.

30. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh. When many web sites claim that they make a site "mobile-friendly", what they really do is make the site unfriendly to users who use small-resolution screens or who are used to using multiple browser windows on their screens.
    I really hope that is not the case. That would severely limit the usefulness of this site for me. (I'm in the latter category)

At the same time, many mobile users prefer the full sites over something that has been dumbed down for a smaller screen.

I find the current layout, font sizes, spacing and features to be almost perfect. Please don't mess with it too much!
    I'd hate to see something with overly large font sizes and acres of whitespace.

halliwax likes this.
  31. Montagar

Check out any of our other sites (mentioned by Art in first post) to see what it will be like as they are all on the new platform.

Art Andrews likes this.
  32. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There's two things I hate......change and the way things are! While I'll admit I'm not a fan of the new TDH platform that was launched some time ago (mostly because I just don't know it well enough since I spend so much time here), I get it needs to be done. :(

33. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent! I had feared that the OT might get streamlined during the upgrade and that there might be a cut off date since it goes back till 2010.

34. Dakota

Dakota Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like Xenforo? Interesting choice! Anything beats old vB sites!

35. redbutton

redbutton Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck Art and the gang, a speedy launch!

36. Fangorn81

Fangorn81 New Member

That's what I was afraid of. Those all look like they are "mobile-first" site designs now, and are so generic looking you would be excused for thinking you had landed on a phishing site...

Not that I don't applaud a migration to a more forward looking platform. It's just so...bland.

EDIT: looking at some of the themes and customization options out there for XenForo, I am now less worried. Hopefully it'll just take a little time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  37. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool, just as Michael is about to send out names and addresses for the Secret Santa.

I really won't miss Tapatalk. It started out nice, but every update changed the UI.

PropReplicator2 likes this.
  38. PropReplicator2

This^^

39. frogfreak

frogfreak Active Member

What all upgrades are being made?

40. Art Andrews

This isn’t so much an “upgrade” as it is a migration to an entirely new software platform. The essence of the site will still be a forum as it has always been but with the software being entirely new (for this site), there is no real “upgrades” to list. What we will do is make a post after the migration listing some of the features of the new software. There are sure to be some hiccups and we will work through them as we have with every change in the past.

George likes this.
  41. Jedisushi

Jedisushi Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This kind of thing is difficult and well worth the effort. Thanks for taking steps to keep the RPF around for a long time to come. May The Force be with you! :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    George likes this.
  42. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am a huge tapatalk user, the dented helmet works fine on my tapatalk. Why won’t the future Rpf work on it?

I hope to god it does because I love the notification mechanic built into the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

44. halliwax

My life is over for the next couple of days... love ya guys

45. Art Andrews

The Dented Helmet hasn't used Tapatalk since we did this same migration in January 2017...

46. halliwax

Yeah I was just talking to a friend, sure enough when I went looking for it in my tapatalk app it was gone :(

47. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Almost time..... Good thing I start a new job tomorrow and will be busy with that. Good luck with the new site changes.

48. PropReplicator2

Half an hour left.. trying to stock up on info for a few days worth of reading. Actually printed out 4 different research threads to look over when I'm bored. Yes. I went there.

Art Andrews likes this.
  49. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

. . . Aaaand were back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.