Made a BTTF 2 Hoverboard from foam

Hi

I used 1/2" Gator Board for the center and 2 3/8" Gator Board on both outsides of the board. Gator board is very dense foam that has a coated plywood veneer - very solid easy to sand and paint but not cheap. $35 a sheet (3x4) 1/2" and $20 a sheet fro the 3/8". As for the parts I created a rubber mold and cast the parts from solid plastic resin. As for the lenticular material, I purchased it from Sommers (clear stuff) and used a blush pink sign vinyl as the back to give it the correct color. This board was a lot of work and cost about $30 in materials and about 5 hours work.

Here is a list of what I used to make this thing
Power sander with fine sandpaper 150
Gator Board - 1/2 and 3/8 inch
Fluorescent pink spray paint for the board itself and for the velcro stips
3M 77 Spray adhesive
1 inch Industrial strength double sided tape for the velcro and part attachments
Fluorescent Green spray paint for the velcro strips
1 inch industrial hook velcro white
Custom made mold out of rubber for the parts
Alumilite resin for the parts
Various exacto blades for precision cutting
Amber sign vinyl fr the decals
Custom made full color decals including the Mattel logo
Flat black spray paint for the magnets
Flat black touch up paint for correcting painting errors
Pure purple paint for the battery pack
Neon green sign vinyl for the strips on the back
White sign vinyl for the decals
Blush pink vinyl for the decals
Silver sign vinyl for the magnet centers
#6 1/2 screws for the parts
Cherry Gloss Red spray paint for the parts
Triple thick one coat clear coat for the parts
Hot pink fur and seat belt strapping for the fur strip on the foot pad
Hot glue and glue gun!
oh I forgot to mention the Lenticular material from Sommers and the blush pink vinyl
I am sure there is more but this is all I can think of at the moment - hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Here is the latest hoverboard production. I have switched adhesive materials so the lenticluar material on the side is flush with the board. I also adjusted the size of the foot pad - it is actually supposed to be 6" I made it 7" before - my mistake - and I have adjusted the radius of the board edges and decals so they look really close to the original hero board. Tell me what you think! IMG_0767.JPG

Here is the latest hoverboard production. I have switched adhesive materials so the lenticluar material on the side is flush with the board. I also adjusted the size of the foot pad - it is actually supposed to be 6" I made it 7" before - my mistake - and I have adjusted the radius of the board edges and decals so they look really close to the original hero board. Tell me what you think!View attachment 350120

Maybe you should start your own progress thread....

I was able to exact color match the battery pack on the Hero hover board it is almost a Barbie Pink! Very cool! Here is a pic of my latest. BTW I am getting a set of vacuum formed parts cast from my originals for my next build that is exactly like the screen original. IMG_0800.JPG

Nice I won your ebay auction will this be my board ;) I'm Backintime2015 and I cant wait to check out my new board.
Here is the latest hoverboard production. I have switched adhesive materials so the lenticluar material on the side is flush with the board. I also adjusted the size of the foot pad - it is actually supposed to be 6" I made it 7" before - my mistake - and I have adjusted the radius of the board edges and decals so they look really close to the original hero board. Tell me what you think!View attachment 350120

- - - Updated - - -

Great work contec Looks amazing!!

Hi backintime2015! This is exactly what the front and sides of your board will look like... however, I created resin parts based on Bob Gales actual schematics from the original prop - I have had a third party vacuum form all of the parts for my final build. The parts will arrive this week (Wed) and I will ship your board out soon after. You will enjoy the board I am quite sure!
Thanks!

Coolpropdude

Will my boards green velcro match the thickness of where it splits off? In your ebay pics the width of your velcro looks off and not accurate.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The green velcro is in 1" pieces all the way down the board. And as you can see in the picture here - I am using a 1mm 3M double sided adhesive film instead of the double sided foam tape. It will withstand heat up to 158 degrees Fahrenheit. It will look like it does in the picture above - screen accurate.

Awesome bro the board looks great and I can't wait to receive it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Here is a solid resin part - the battery pack - made from my RTV cast that is going to be used to make the vacuum formed part. And the color is screen matched - I had it mixed by a painter and now I have the correct color! Yay! View attachment 351147

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back