Mad Max: Fury Road (Post-release)

Someone needs to explain to me this what I assume is a relatively minor backlash against this movie from men's groups saying it emasculated male characters or some other nonsense?

Someone needs to explain to me this what I assume is a relatively minor backlash against this movie from men's groups saying it emasculated male characters or some other nonsense?

Yeah, some dudes who can't get dates seem to think it's an insidious feminist agenda attempting to co-opt a male icon because the movie takes the wildly radical stance that a) sex slavery is bad, mmmmkay? and b) a woman "upstages" Max for the hero's role. That second part is true, but who cares? She's a great character. Complaining about her upstaging Max is like complaining that Sarah Connor upstages Arnie in T2 by also shooting the T-1000. It's only an issue if you're a reeeaaalllly insecure dude.

The most interesting character is Nux, but with all the sturm und drang over the "feminist agenda" thing, he's been lost in the conversation, I'm afraid. Maybe some dictator with a blog will write something silly about how traditional slave-owner values are under attack and we can talk about how great Nux is. He's kinda the soul the whole movie, in many ways.

PS: Sorry my reply was worded as if you hadn't seen it, but I see a few post above that you have, so you know everything I just said I guess :lol The blog post is Return of Kings, and the blog itself is...pretty bitter. You get the feeling the guy is tired of being treated like crap by women so he's launched a crusade, when the real issue is the douchebro needs to stop hanging out with awful women. One of those pick up artist type things. Pretty sad. Guy needs to watch Don Jon :lol

Last edited:

People with too much time on their hands. Just forget them and enjoy the movie for what it is. ;)

I don't know where it's coming from that she's the lead; the way I saw it, Max and her were the leads. I like that Max has a more objective, receded, and even more quiet role in the movie. The movie already calls a lot from the Leone westerns, and Max is treated in this movie like Clint Eastwood's Blondie character in Good, Bad, Ugly. He's just separated from the plot and gets swept up in it out of reluctance and helps Furiosa and gang because only he can. In more ways than one, this is a lot like Road Warrior. Just bigger and higher octane.

Last edited:
Yeah, some dudes who can't get dates seem to think it's an insidious feminist agenda attempting to co-opt a male icon because the movie takes the wildly radical stance that a) sex slavery is bad, mmmmkay? and b) a woman "upstages" Max for the hero's role. That second part is true, but who cares? She's a great character. Complaining about her upstaging Max is like complaining that Sarah Connor upstages Arnie in T2 by also shooting the T-1000. It's only an issue if you're a reeeaaalllly insecure dude.

The most interesting character is Nux, but with all the sturm und drang over the "feminist agenda" thing, he's been lost in the conversation, I'm afraid. Maybe some dictator with a blog will write something silly about how traditional slave-owner values are under attack and we can talk about how great Nux is. He's kinda the soul the whole movie, in many ways.

PS: Sorry my reply was worded as if you hadn't seen it, but I see a few post above that you have, so you know everything I just said I guess :lol The blog post is Return of Kings, and the blog itself is...pretty bitter. You get the feeling the guy is tired of being treated like crap by women so he's launched a crusade, when the real issue is the douchebro needs to stop hanging out with awful women. One of those pick up artist type things. Pretty sad. Guy needs to watch Don Jon :lol

You know, when you consider all three previous films, Max is a central character, but ti's really the supporting players that flesh the story out. Max is more catalysts an enabler of events, not always the focus, even in the first Mad Max.

You know, when you consider all three previous films, Max is a central character, but ti's really the supporting players that flesh the story out. Max is more catalysts an enabler of events, not always the focus, even in the first Mad Max.

Also, to call the series a bastion of masculinity is a little iffy. I mean, Wez's chaps, getting schooled by Tina Turner... :p

Joking aside, I agree that Max is absolutely a catalyst character--that's a perfect description of him. Kind of like how Tuco is well-rounded and Blondie is a blank slate in the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Or how the clown Kikuchiyo is the well-rounded character in Seven Samurai, whereas the badass swordsman Kyuzo (who gets a nod in a scene in Fury Road!) is a cipher. I like that we know more about the ostensible "sidekicks" Furiosa and Nux. It keeps with that Man With No Name tradition.

Last edited:
Overall pretty good and Max is back. But Gibson still brought a little something more. Not sure how to put that into words.
I think calling it a masterpiece is a bit much, maybe because people have been starved for this kind of film for along time there
is a little extra gushing, probably a miracle that an old dog can still deliver the mail eighties style. Most of them burn out and we end up with,
well a Crystal Skull pile of Phantom Menace.. Bummed he didn't get his interceptor back, I really expected him to get it back at least for a bit.

Interesting to see a Taurus 9mm.
I bought one of these "Brazilian Berettas" back in the day and was surprised how often it popped up in films back then.
And here it is again, so that was a bonus retro nod for me.

Last edited:
Overall pretty good and Max is back. But Gibson still brought a little something more. Not sure how to put that into words.
I think calling it a masterpiece is a bit much, maybe because people have been starved for this kind of film for along time there
is a little extra gushing, probably a miracle that an old dog can still deliver the mail eighties style. Most of them burn out and we end up with,
well a Crystal Skull pile of Phantom Menace.. Bummed he didn't get his interceptor back, I really expected him to get it back at least for a bit.

Interesting to see a Taurus 9mm.
I bought one of these "Brazilian Berettas" back in the day and was surprised how often it popped up in films back then.
And here it is again, so that was a bonus retro nod for me.

i used to have a Taurus 9mm too!

I am dying to dig up references for Furiosa's arm. I have a friend who is an amputee and I desperately want to build the arm for her for Dragon Con.

As a big fan of the original films I was dubious about this being done and really had no more than a passing interest to check it out on BR. My daughter didn't much care for Road Warrior so she and my wife were kind of "meh" about it. Friday I saw the trailer and it looked better than I thought it would, since Saturday was my birthday we made a rare trip to the theater (80 miles round trip) to check it out. All three of us were BLOWN F%@&ING AWAY!! This was about as perfect as it could be, old school film making joined with the best digital effects, I absolutely loved it! My daughter is already asking if we can go back to see it again. :cool:thumbsup :cool:thumbsup :cool:thumbsup

Beautifully shot film. No real story whatsoever (there and back again?) but hey, who was going for the story anyway. I was a bit disappointed that the story centered far more on Furiosa than on Max, but the visuals were absolutely epic and so much of it appeared to be practical effects. Rather than watch the movie again, I'd love to see a feature length documentary on the filming of the movie. So much of that seemed so dangerous and so incredibly complicated. Would love to know how many things were done.

Fury Road had a great score by the way. Really helped push some moments waaaay up. There was sequence where
they are just blasting with everything they have and are all that stands between those poor girls falling back into that hell
thet just escaped, the score was working very well there.

But I also have this in my head since viewing...

- - - Updated - - -

By the way anyone remember the line where the dude is grabbing steering wheels I think and says something about the V8 in great reverence?

Last edited by a moderator:
But I also have this in my head since viewing...

Not as good as the version they used in the actual movie.

Seriously, I want this rendition!

Also, that's my one complaint about Fury Road. No "Jet Flyby" sound during the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
One disappointment I had with Fury Road... no saxophone player? Surely they could've given a part to Kenny G, as the "Brass Piper." ;)

As much as I want the Blu-Ray now, this is one of those rare movies you need to see on the big screen and be near the front. on My viewing on Sunday I was a with a group in about the 4th row centre for 3D and damn it was good. Already planning another viewing. :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back