Mad Max: Fury Road (Post-release)

It just didn't do it for me. It felt so over-saturated with post-apocalyptic gadgets/innuendo/gimmicks that some of it just felt way too far fetched. And the movie itself just felt like one long chase scene taken out of Thunderdome. Max didn't even have to be in the movie. It didn't revolve around him, didn't involve him, didn't make him memorable at all- it just didn't scream "Mad Max". Every time Hardy spoke, it took me out if the movie. Not as much as that ridiculous guitarist-boombox-mobile (wasted resources, anyone?), but he sounded like Le Chiffre at the poker table........NOT Max.

And let's face it, Mad Max has always had a silly relationship with gasoline. These guys don't have enough, but they go tear-assing around in these big V8s nonetheless. I guess that a post-apocalyptic movie about people sharing sensible cars and planning their day so they can run all their errands in one go would be pretty short on entertainment value though.

This movie was AWESOME. Instant classic IMO. It's not the originals but it's not trying to be. George Miller basically made "Mad Max: Bigger, Badder, and Uncut" this time.

I can see how people would miss the early 1980s Australia & young Mel Gibson feel to the originals. But that world is 30 years gone. That actor is a grumpy racist old jerk. That apocalypse didn't happen. That post-apocalyptic world never did withstand 60 seconds of critical thinking. That writer/director's mind has been chewing on these concepts for a bunch more years now and his ideas have gotten farther out. And that's okay. MM#2-3 felt pretty friggin' far out compared to the real world for viewers at the time.

I say forgive George Miller for failing to recapture everything there is to like about the originals, and give him a huge pat on the back for all the things he did well here. There were 10,000 ways this movie could have been worse than it is. This might be the first time a hero filmmaker of my youth has revisited his early work with modern resources & SFX and it actually lived up to the possibilities of that.

Just got back from the movie and all I got to say is holy s***! This movie was awesome. Best action flick in a long time. And thank god it wasn't a Peter Pan/Lost Boys movie like Thunderdome was. This was Burning Man on drugs!

Here's hoping George Miller does a sequel.

Continuing my personal mission to get people to see this wacky, beautiful flick, I submit some tweets:

Attachments

• Screenshot (113).png
    Screenshot (113).png
    47.5 KB · Views: 84
I would be a grumpy racist jerk too, if a religious group attacked me for my beliefs and compared me to my semi-estranged wacko father. Let alone forced my movie over budget and over schedule then tried to blame ME for falling off the wagoon.

I thought Immortan Joe was already a bad guy because he was a megalomaniacal rapist?

- - - Updated - - -

We kept counting the people walking out...........

Loved this movie! Wife and I saw it in 3D yesterday and we both enjoyed it from beginning to end! By far the best pure action film I have seen in ages. I have to see it again in the theater and the 3D Bluray will be a day one by for me :D

I guess Miller just confirmed that he developed enough for a whole new trilogy, and that the fifth flick will be called "The Wasteland." LORD I hope this happens!

George Miller literally emptied out his insane mind right onto the screen. Fury Road is clearly the Mad Max movie Miller always wanted to make, but until now he lacked the budget and technology to do so. You don't see this kind of bat**** crazy cinema anymore and I've missed it. The color pallette was unlike anything I've ever seen before and the cinematography was breathtaking. Kudos to Warner Bros for financing and supporting mad man Miller and his unique vision. The sound design also deserves some praise as engines, drums, punches, explosions and gunshots never sounded sexier! This movie is a game changer.

Sexy as hell, yeah. And also more quietly lovely. I can't get the image of the stilt walkers out of my head. Out of all that mayhem, a single, unexplained, mysterious shot is what I keep coming back to. This movie is beautiful.

WOW. Should be Titled Mad Furiosa! Mad Max Fury Road delivers kinetic action and some beautiful cinematography. And Chalrize Theron steals the show. Max is the weakest link!

Last edited by a moderator:
*Dag takes a moment to kick the chastity belt one last time*

There. That one moment lasting only three seconds did a better job telling a liberating story than Sucker Punch did with a whole entire movie .

I LOVE this movie.

We are finally seeing a re-emergence of practical effects in film, and this one absolutely nailed it.

Love it, love everything about it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back