Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

Every time a picture surfaces, a new little detail appears.
Here you can see there is also a piece of rubber tube covering the back of the leg strap, triglide included. (It runs from behind the buckle to the leg panel).
Clip_4_a.jpg

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but has anyone noted how far forward the Rawlings shoulder plate sits on the FR jacket compared to the RR version? In some shots it seems to sit more squarely on top of his shoulder (which is the way I thought it always was meant to be), but now it seems to sit way forward like in the two pics Fabian posted above.

Since the padding it's stitched to is riveted to the front and back of the jacket is this just how the new version sits? Or is the jacket just slumped that far forward over Tom's shoulders in the pic?

Any speculation? The way the pad sits is gonna be key to an accurate design.

I think it's just slumped forward in these pictures. In the movie it seems to sit normal from what I can remember. I'm sure some scenes have the plate push foward also though from all the moving around and stunts.

Remember the plate is attached around the pad with two straps and is somewhat free to move around. In MM2 it is sitting a bit different in some scenes. Like when Max awakes in the ambulance and walks out with gear over his shoulder to drive the tanker.

Now that this thread is on its 20th page, I'm wondering: is there a way to prune this thread? Or move the less valuable discussion elsewhere? Unlike a Facebook thread, this thread (and every comment in it) is etched in stone as reference material. I worry that we've already weighed this thread down with too much fluff, and that it might discourage people who worked on the film to even participate in the discussion.

I'm going to start some new threads for other characters so we can keep this a Max thread. There are still LOADS of stuff to identify. I could use everyone's help.

I've started pages on my website for the main characters. (It'll be a work in progress and I don't want to encourage every casual cosplayer out there to buy up the last of the rare items left out there.)

Now that this thread is on its 20th page, I'm wondering: is there a way to prune this thread? Or move the less valuable discussion elsewhere? Unlike a Facebook thread, this thread (and every comment in it) is etched in stone as reference material. I worry that we've already weighed this thread down with too much fluff, and that it might discourage people who worked on the film to even participate in the discussion.

I'm going to start some new threads for other characters so we can keep this a Max thread. There are still LOADS of stuff to identify. I could use everyone's help.

I've started pages on my website for the main characters. (It'll be a work in progress and I don't want to encourage every casual cosplayer out there to buy up the last of the rare items left out there.)

You can start threads for each character that way the info is easier to search for rather than getting mixed through the pages here. We can keep this one just for Max which is what it's been pretty much anyway. The site looks good btw. :thumbsup

Last edited:
Great work putting this thread together guys, I'm blown away by the progress so far, very impressive. I've been to see it twice now haha! First time was 3D, and the second was 2D for another chance to further examine the costumes a little closer.

As a huge fan of the originals I've been waiting a long time for this, and was left feeling very fulfilled after leaving the theatre, It was awesome watching it the first time and even better the second time around.

Gonna start putting my Max costume together in the coming weeks, and possibly sculpting Immortan Joe's mask as part of a bust/display piece.

I've been working full time at RS Prop Masters for over 3 years now building stormtroopers and boba fett etc. so that makes me very lucky in the sense that I've got access to a vac former so I can pull some pieces for Joe's clear body armour and max's shoulder plate possibly in a 3 to 5 mm ABS as you guys have already stated its considerably thicker than the original movies.

Also I noticed the boot continuity errors while switching between Max, Nux and the Under Armour pair after he returns with all the new gear after killing the Bullet Farmer and his guys... but this has already been pointed out over on madmaxcostumes.com

The only thing that disappointed me a little was seeing the interceptor forced off the road and stolen (although It looked awesome reborn in silver with the bigger engine etc. haha) and the fact we didn't get to see much of Max's costume at the beginning, looked cool with the hydration/syphon pack on the back and the sawn off under his arm... but maybe we will get to see more of this in the art of fury road book or any other behind the scenes pics that surface now the movie has been released.

Anyway, as I said guys, awesome work putting your costumes together so far, I look forward to seeing them finished! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did!

Have a lovely day!

Great work putting this thread together guys, I'm blown away by the progress so far, very impressive. I've been to see it twice now haha! First time was 3D, and the second was 2D for another chance to further examine the costumes a little closer.

As a huge fan of the originals I've been waiting a long time for this, and was left feeling very fulfilled after leaving the theatre, It was awesome watching it the first time and even better the second time around.

Gonna start putting my Max costume together in the coming weeks, and possibly sculpting Immortan Joe's mask as part of a bust/display piece.

I've been working full time at RS Prop Masters for over 3 years now building stormtroopers and boba fett etc. so that makes me very lucky in the sense that I've got access to a vac former so I can pull some pieces for Joe's clear body armour and max's shoulder plate possibly in a 3 to 5 mm ABS as you guys have already stated its considerably thicker than the original movies.

Also I noticed the boot continuity errors while switching between Max, Nux and the Under Armour pair after he returns with all the new gear after killing the Bullet Farmer and his guys... but this has already been pointed out over on madmaxcostumes.com

The only thing that disappointed me a little was seeing the interceptor forced off the road and stolen (although It looked awesome reborn in silver with the bigger engine etc. haha) and the fact we didn't get to see much of Max's costume at the beginning, looked cool with the hydration/syphon pack on the back and the sawn off under his arm... but maybe we will get to see more of this in the art of fury road book or any other behind the scenes pics that surface now the movie has been released.

Anyway, as I said guys, awesome work putting your costumes together so far, I look forward to seeing them finished! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did!

Have a lovely day!

I also wish we got more of Max from the beginning. Sad about Interceptor but how awesome was it when Max saw his car with the warboy and said "That's mine!" Lol loved it!

I also wish we got more of Max from the beginning. Sad about Interceptor but how awesome was it when Max saw his car with the warboy and said "That's mine!" Lol loved it!

Hahah yeah his reaction was great! and when the guy threw the explosive spear past his head from the back of Nux's car and Max shouts something about it in anger, he also utters something when Nux accelerates into the sand storm it should be funny to check the subtitles on that one when the Blu-ray/dvd is released haha.

All round awesome movie. massively entertaining and obviously completely MAD!

Just my two cents but I think he carries a Browning P35 Hi-Power in the leg holster (the grip is the right shape from what I saw in the b-roll footage and he's seen firing the Browning at one point in the film). I know that denix do a reasonably good copy.

Managed to pick up a South African assault vest from ebay for £51 shipped, so that should hopefully arrive soon so I can start working on it.

Man we need like a list of all the pouches and mags haha. Anyone have any idea about the pants? Or what would be a good base to look for. This is a fantastic thread by the way!

Man we need like a list of all the pouches and mags haha. Anyone have any idea about the pants? Or what would be a good base to look for. This is a fantastic thread by the way!

There's a list somewhere in here. Karol is updating his site too to provide all the info on the costume. The pants are basically the same from Thunderdome. Black leather pants with no back pockets, cut in a general “jeans” pattern, weathered and stitched up of-course.

any idea what the pouches are on the War Boy pants? looks like some canvas Mauser pouches? one guy looks like he has a RPD pouch on his left hip. i got a hold of a set of Blank EMT pants that i think will work for the war boy pants seeing as they have a lot of little pouches on them already.

I wonder if any of the stuntmen got to keep their wardrobe. If you guys are reading this help us out and post some pics. Pretty please. :D

Just saw the movie today. Did anyone else notice Max pull out a KUKRI and chop a guys leg off I think on top of the truck when they are first getting to the canyon? Could have swore I saw him use a kukri on someone.

I also noticed on 3rd viewing the Thunderdome belt on Valkyrie minus Astore buckle.

I believe with Max's boots he starts with replica Rossi's then Nux trades him one along with borrowing his jacket. Then he takes it back and eventually gets rid of them for the Valsetz boots. I think the odd looking zippered rubber sole boots are stunt versions of the Rossi replica and were used in too many close up shots. Some of the Max jackets don't have the shoulder seam repair either in some scenes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back