Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

Don't hate on the Glock, man. It's a reliable smooth shooting gun. Never had a jam on my Glock 19 =)
No, but seriously, he probably just picked it up in the car and started shooting. The magazine cover on the first post you will see he still has his short shotty. Besides, look at all those mags he's carrying. Non of them are Glock mags.

I have a Glock 19. I love it. It's an outstanding gun. It just seems too modern for Max. I hate the more militaristic look of his costume. I want to see the retro vibe of Thunderdome where he's yanking out Mausers and Webleys and so forth. The Glock, the tactical knife, the water bladder...it's too modern. Yes, I know it's the future. But it's the future as envisioned in the early 80s. What next, a 2014 Camaro?

So yeah, I hate the Glock.

I've been in touch with Chris Reeve Knives since the first images came out. I even sent them some screen grabs but they can't say definitively that it's one of theirs. They said they didn't know anything about it being used in the movie. I guess we'll find out eventually. The Schrade is close enough for the price, though.

Are we sure the tac rig he's wearing is the same throughout? The first one looks like a vintage H-harness while the later one looks more tactical/MOLLE. He gets stripped down by the bad guys so there's no guarantee he gets his own stuff back. Also note that the mags are upside-down. Looks like AK mags and a Beretta mag.

I like Max's new military look--just not for Max. Max's outfit, in each movie (but particularly in MM2), has been iconic. This looks more like a generic post-apocalyptic military costume.

I've been in touch with Chris Reeve Knives since the first images came out. I even sent them some screen grabs but they can't say definitively that it's one of theirs. They said they didn't know anything about it being used in the movie. I guess we'll find out eventually. The Schrade is close enough for the price, though.

Are we sure the tac rig he's wearing is the same throughout? The first one looks like a vintage H-harness while the later one looks more tactical/MOLLE. He gets stripped down by the bad guys so there's no guarantee he gets his own stuff back. Also note that the mags are upside-down. Looks like AK mags and a Beretta mag.

I like Max's new military look--just not for Max. Max's outfit, in each movie (but particularly in MM2), has been iconic. This looks more like a generic post-apocalyptic military costume.

He could be wearing a different type of vest or harness in the beginning of the trailer. The details close up look like its dessert tan while the other looks black with olive drab or greenish pouches. We just have to wait for more material to come out. The details on the Chris Reeve knife really do match pretty much exact. They could have just ordered from an online supplier or shop somewhere rather than from the maker. The Schrade is a close enough solution though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that might be why he's wearing a different boot in the promo picture, because he got stripped down when he got caught.

He could be wearing a different type of vest or harness in the beginning of the trailer. The details close up look like its dessert tan while the other looks black with olive drab or greenish pouches. We just have to wait for more material to come out. The details on the Chris Reeve knife really do match pretty much exact. They could have just ordered from an online supplier or shop somewhere rather than from the maker. The Schrade is a close enough solution though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that might be why he's wearing a different boot in the promo picture, because he got stripped down when he got caught.

I think you're right. I also noticed in the beginning, pre-captured Max, that he has no drop leg holster and he seems to be carrying his shotgun under his right arm. see pic below. you can also see it better for a split second as he stomps on the lizard.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-1_zps48e913a9.jpg~original.jpg
    Untitled-1_zps48e913a9.jpg~original.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 792
  • Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 74,131

Yeah, noticed that myself. Looks like he's also wearing a tactical belt? that hangs a bit off his hip in that scene.

I agree this outfit is not as iconic as I would prefer, being a long-time Mad Max fan. However, it is quite in line if the guzzoline ran out now and society collapsed into no rule of law.

Looking at the various components, the only one I feel I can add to at this time is the tubing on his left shoulder strap. I agree it goes to the bladder on his backpack, however it is too long and thin to be the "straw" for a water bladder. I have owned, carried, and used numerous water bladders for years, ever since they first came out. It just doesn't look right.

I put forth this hypothesis: It looks like a cheap siphon hose you purchase at a discount store connected to a collapsible fuel bladder. Image below, more information here: http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/Liquid_Containment_Fuel_Bladder.htm

Fuel Bladder.jpg

A really quick method for obtaining a few gallons of gas, silently, without carrying noisy cans in the night, impeding your get-away.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I honestly couldn't say if that's what it is, but it definitely looks to be some type of bladder of some kind. Your theory does make sense though. We just need to wait for material to be released to get a better close up on it.

I'm also wondering if it will be released what company replicated the jacket and pants. I would love to be able to get a quality replica without the weathering for casual wearing. I own a few classic style jackets like this, but they all have shoulder taps and extra zippers. I know South Beach Leathers makes a replica jacket for MM2. I can't speak on the quality of their jacket as I don't own one, but if someone wanted to get one of theirs to make a Fury Road version, here's one little detail you can ask them to change that I noticed. Not a big deal at all, but for those who are really into accuracy as I am, tell them to make the back seam with double stitching rather than single stitching. Just a small detail I've noticed.

Jacketdetail_zps5ae3dc43.png~original

I bought one of Southbeach's jackets about 5 years ago and like it very much. For the price you can't beat it. Yes it does only have single stitching and the sleeve zippers aren't quite long enough. I think the zippers on the Australian jackets are longer, almost to the elbow.

Other than these minor details I would recommend one of their jackets.

I bought one of Southbeach's jackets about 5 years ago and like it very much. For the price you can't beat it. Yes it does only have single stitching and the sleeve zippers aren't quite long enough. I think the zippers on the Australian jackets are longer, almost to the elbow.

Other than these minor details I would recommend one of their jackets.

Thanks for the info. Here's a view of the MM2 jacket that shows the sleeve zipper for others to compare. Pretty sure it will be the same for the Fury Road jacket. The collar is also double stitched here too.
fghaaa_zps106650ca.jpg~original

After studying the battle jacket, and comparing it to screen shots and photos released from Fury Road, you can see that production did indeed rearrange some of the pouches and remove some completely. From photos of the M83 jacket online, you can see that the top right ( Right as if you're the wearer) magazine pouch was moved to the bottom on the Fury version and the top was replaced with a smaller pouch for the pistol mags. The top left pouch also seem to be removed and replaced with the knife and sheath. Also, the Velcro and cover flaps are removed on the mag pouches.
BattleJacketcompare_zpsb7c54cfe.png~original

The Pouches on the side also seem to be rearranged and some removed. The pouch highlighted here seem to be moved back in the Fury version. The big pouch with the buckle and straps have seemed to be removed to fit the other pouch close to the side.
BattleJacketcompareside_zps8d083d11.png~original

Last edited:

I don't think that the right mag pouch has been moved lower- look at the adjustment buckles on the shoulder, there's an empty gap that's been filled with the pistol mag pouch in the Fury version. The pistol mag pouch looks like to be the small pouch that was next to the removed mag pouch relocated to the shoulder. It also looks like there's a small pouch for what looks like a multitool under the rolled-up tube on the left shoulder on the same position.

_A

I don't think that the right mag pouch has been moved lower- look at the adjustment buckles on the shoulder, there's an empty gap that's been filled with the pistol mag pouch in the Fury version. The pistol mag pouch looks like to be the small pouch that was next to the removed mag pouch relocated to the shoulder. It also looks like there's a small pouch for what looks like a multitool under the rolled-up tube on the left shoulder on the same position.

_A

Good point and good eye. The pic I compared the battle jacket to makes the pouch look higher than it actually is because Hardy is sitting down so it threw me off a bit. I lowered the position of the right picture a bit and (badly) Photoshopped where the mag pouch would be in the same position. Now it makes a lot more sense.
BattleJacketcomparedfd_zps3b44b5d2.jpg~original

Wow! This thread is certainly moving and lots of great info and observations here!

It's interesting because there's certainly a few different looks and costume additions folks could go for in order to replicate Fury Road Max, like for example "Grizzly Max". I noticed in the HD trailer here actually has a pair of protective eye wear on his head at the beginning.
max1.jpg
max2.jpg

Here's a bit of better look at Grizzly Max showing the glove on his left hand and that he's repurposed one of the seat belts from the Interceptor to be a sling for the sawn-off shotgun:
max3.jpg

Also here's a nice close up of Max in the Comic Con poster that gives a bit of better detail on the bladder bag amongst others. Just ignore the holster and such since obviously he doesn't have that or the haircut at the beginning of the movie and trailer. lol
max4.jpg

Just to note but when WETA was involved in the production Richard Taylor acquired the original costume Mel wore in Mad Max 2/Beyond Thunderdome and brought in tailors from around the world to replicate the costume.

Also here's a nice close up of Max in the Comic Con poster that gives a bit of better detail on the bladder bag amongst others. Just ignore the holster and such since obviously he doesn't have that or the haircut at the beginning of the movie and trailer. lol
View attachment 357306

Just to note but when WETA was involved in the production Richard Taylor acquired the original costume Mel wore in Mad Max 2/Beyond Thunderdome and brought in tailors from around the world to replicate the costume.
Thanks for those close ups, DGSimo. Now I can see the bladder a little better. Looks like the hose is attached to a small motor/pump that is attached to the bladder. It could be like Bonanza said, something to siphon and hold gas. The black wire coming out of it could be where it gets it's power source to turn it on?
max4a_zps2b1bfa3b.png~original

Last edited:

I'm beginning to agree that Max wears at least two different combat vests in the movie. The "Grizzly-Max" appears to wear a lighter, sand-colored harness, likely a modified South African pattern 70, I think I see the same type of a buckle it has on Max's back.

Also, in this pic, Max appears to wear two separate harnesses. The bladder bag appears to have it's own harness, like a Camelbak drinking system, with a H-harness under that.

_A

I'm beginning to agree that Max wears at least two different combat vests in the movie. The "Grizzly-Max" appears to wear a lighter, sand-colored harness, likely a modified South African pattern 70, I think I see the same type of a buckle it has on Max's back.

Also, in this pic, Max appears to wear two separate harnesses. The bladder bag appears to have it's own harness, like a Camelbak drinking system, with a H-harness under that.

_A

Yeah, I think he wears this gear at the beginning of the film and most likely loses some of it when he crashes and gets caught. I'm curious to find out what kind of drop leg gun holster he's wearing. I know he's shooting a Glock in one of the scenes but I don't think that's a Glock he has holstered. Could be a Beretta since that's what the pistol mags that he's carrying looks to be from.

Also, thoughts on the added gear. I think all the tactical gear was added to Max this time around to break up the all leather look. It worked in the late 70s and through the 80s, but it might look a bit funny on screen today if he was just wearing all leather in the middle of the desert, which he still is, just with more accessories to break up the look. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic Max look, it's iconic, but I personally think the added pieces makes the character look better. At least in the post apocalyptic world he lives in.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back