MacGuyver's Mr. Incredible Suit Huntorial *LOTS OF PICS!*

Hey Mac do you think if someone would spray a release agent on the DT Dummy first , would it be easyer to remove the Mr I suit?

Good question. I'm not sure, but I believe the release agents you're referring to are the same or similar to those used for softening the latex surface inside of a latex mold which has been used for casting purposes. Although, since I've never used any type of release agent like this myself, I've got to be totally honest w/ you in that I'm really just guessing here...

I wouldn't advise using any chemical-based release agents on this type of thing for a few reasons. The main reason being that I wouldn't want to apply anything to the inside areas which may cause the latex to breakdown or deteriorate in any way, especially after putting all that hard work & who knows how many hours of time into creating something like this. Release agents cause the latex to become soft & my big concern is to what degree it actually "softens" the latex. I think it's probably best to keep the inner layers of latex as strong & firm as possible & wouldn't use any sort of chemical that may cause the base layers lose any adhesion w/ the inner fabric of the Mr. I suit.

Sometimes there's just no substitute for good ol' fashioned elbow grease...and a big bottle of baby powder. The toughest part in getting the suit off is that the latex is a form of rubber, which will tend to grip it's surrounding surfaces & doesn't allow the inside of the suit to simply slide off. I think it's probably just best to use your own two hands while sprinkling baby powder in between the walls of the Mr I suit & the dummy. This method will work out just fine. :)

The biggest problem I'd had removing my finished suit from the DT dummy was due to the fact I made my suit w/ several more latex layers than it actually needed, which made it impossible to "peel" off the DT dummy. In the end, what worked out best was cutting a few holes in the DT dummy & removing some of the stuffing from inside. I could then very easily separate the Mr I suit apart from the dummy. Also, I tried to keep the dummy in the best possible condition since I'd be using it to display the finished suit in between the few opportunities I'd get to actually wear the damn thing. However, my friend just kept trying to convince me it'd be so much easier & "waaaaay more fun" to just cut up the entire DT dummy & make a new one later. But in doing these types of projects, I've learned the benefits will usually be far greater when a certain level of cautionary patience is used during the final steps of any project where a lot of time has been invested, while my friend was basically still feeling somewhat destructive from earlier that same evening when he broke my glue gun in an attempt to "get it working waaaaaay better"! He's promised me a brand new glue gun for Christmas this year.

Hey, MacGuyver. Do you mind if i ask you what you used to fill the dummy in?

A few bags of regular ol' craft store stuffing works great. I tried filling part of my legs w/ Great Stuff foam, but that worked like crap. Go w/ the stuffing, it's cheaper & a lot easier to work with!

lol my Girlfriend still winces when she sees the scar she gave me, while trying to cut me out.

Also, Great tutorial! very detailed and concise!

Well, Chris...I, ahhh...hate to break it to ya, but it looks to me like it may have gotten a wee bit infected since she gave you that wicked scar, bro! You better quit wearin' it as a badge of honor & get the damn thing checked out! :) :)

Bloody hell sir. What a clever way to produce something as complicated looking as a Pred suit. Definately a bit of lateral thinking goin on here, as most folk get all tied up with clay, plaster and latex. Didn't cost you much either.

I need to take more time to read through your huntorial, probably the most thorough on on the Lair.
Cheers.

fair play man this is going to help me NO END....you are an artist! that body suit is incredible (hehe pun) good job dude!

Hello all, That is a true work of art, well done, now your Mr Inpredable ,lol haha
thankyou for a great build up
happy hunting , thankyou all
deno :D

Hey MacGuyver,

Thanks for the great tutorial I just won my Mr. Incredible suit on EBAY yesterday and I wanted to drop a line to any others looking for the muscle suits.

Eastern Costumes is selling them (Mr. Incredible, Wolverine, Captain America, Mr. Fantastic and Iron Man everyday) on EBAY. The auctions start at ninety nine cents. I got mine for $22 plus $6 to ship

Just a couple of q's

How long did this take to do, and any safety precautions?

It took me about 3 months from start to finish (including painting) but I took my time and experimented w/ several different things along the way as well. If I did another one now, I'm sure I could do it in half the time.

As far as safety precautions go, don't wear any of your good clothes while latexing and be sure to wear a face mask if something smells funny! o_O :D

I'm gathering supplies to make a skin in this same fashion. This tutorial ROCKS. I may need some help on where to get stuff or how to do something so expect pm's !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back