M19 telescope mhr 1942 build

622303_4593df53694101349_717176884_o.jpg

There's other pics but you can see it just fine in this one.

Milling, each part?

Wouldn´t it be better, easier and/or more accurate to make a die and fold them from sheetmetal under a press? I don´t know what machines you can use, so no idea if that would be doable for you.

I looked into that... its beyond the pay scale right now.... Maybe if the volume of sales allow... Each parts requires progressive stamping, multiple dyes and tools... the quotes i got were over 75,000 in tooling.... My machined parts will not be perfect but it is what is right now. Should be better than resin... Wish i could buy the old tooling from the old company...
Its do able but may need to work up to it.....

Yes I can make dies but its not as easy as you think.. The original stocks are very thick steel and would take huge presses.... The Brit's are very, very good with steel !!!!\\\

The airsoft gun uses a lot thinner metal to do theirs , if there is enough demand over time ill figure a way to stamp them out. For right now im going to machine the parts...
They use a progressive stamping method to get the final shape it may require 6 or 8 different dies. It's not just punched out in one shot. I wish it was that simple.
I have a lot more fun trying to machine it anyway. Marv, I would have loved to be at the closing of that factory to buy all the old sterling tooling .. probably got sent to the scrap yard. LOL

Can't you make you own die's if you are able to mill the part itself?

The M38 and M19 scopes are both 1.44x exactly by default, along with all the other M series telescopes inside Sherman tank periscopes. I still have the original documentation that came with my scope to prove it. It also came with the included conversion lenses to convert it to a 4.4x telescope, or a 30x microscope. But 1.44x was the standard magnification for the M-Series scopes.

It would be cool if you'd be able to scan the documentation for the M scopes. I have a copy but is not too good alas

I will try to get a scan of the document and upload it, I sent a photo of it to Field Marshall already but I will get it digitally scanned for higher resolution.

Any chance to do this please? Really curious to see that pic :)

I finally got around to scanning and uploading that document, here is the original scan and a version with the color restored.
OriginalScan.jpegRestoredColor.jpeg

Wish Edmond still had some records of this scope upgrade... I contacted them to see if they knew what the original lens and prism specs ....No Luck
They did quote me to copy the examples i have ,,, it was over 100,000 dollars for a production run MINIMUM .... the double 90 degree prisms are""" even today""" a high tech piece of art don by skill craftsman on high tech machines... The individual lens cost are too high for this prop.... I'm going to use another type of lens setup to get the functionality

Slyfox and I have discussed this document,, I believe it was post war and must have been a school /home project to make a microscope from a war surplus item....

Wish Edmond still had some records of this scope upgrade... I contacted them to see if they knew what the original lens and prism specs ....No Luck
They did quote me to copy the examples i have ,,, it was over 100,000 dollars for a production run MINIMUM .... the double 90 degree prisms are""" even today""" a high tech piece of art don by skill craftsman on high tech machines... The individual lens cost are too high for this prop.... I'm going to use another type of lens setup to get the functionality

Slyfox and I have discussed this document,, I believe it was post war and must have been a school /home project to make a microscope from a war surplus item....

why not high quality cast pieces? These don't need weapons grade optics, just see through with a reticle... perfectly doable with cast pieces.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back