Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

It would appear that way but who knows how many of these things were made and for what. There's the shot of the hilt being shot up after it launches from Artoo and then another insert shot of it falling back down before the shot of Luke catching it; they could (very probably) be the resin ANH casts, as well.

A member on here, who might be banned now, was on set for that shoot. he said they had many copies, at least 7, and they had a box on them. Considering the close-up with R2, I think those were ANH era casts. Still baffled at the V2 upper decorations on that one on his belt.

You know as popular as this forum is, I am kinda surprised there isn't an actual prop builder from the films that hasn't popped up here. I know on astromech.com there is a thread called ask uncle Don blies that was working on the astromech droids for the film. Mind you, he doesn't sit around all day answering questions, however once in a while he chimes in and gives answers. After all, we aren't talking about a film where the original crew members are long gone.

A member on here, who might be banned now, was on set for that shoot. he said they had many copies, at least 7, and they had a box on them. Considering the close-up with R2, I think those were ANH era casts. Still baffled at the V2 upper decorations on that one on his belt.

Did he mean there were seven Yumas or did he confuse the camp band as having "a box" on them? Considering what we know now, I don't think casts of the Yuma/Hero with box were made until after the fact, right?

- - - Updated - - -

You know as popular as this forum is, I am kinda surprised there isn't an actual prop builder from the films that hasn't popped up here. I know on astromech.com there is a thread called ask uncle Don blies that was working on the astromech droids for the film. Mind you, he doesn't sit around all day answering questions, however once in a while he chimes in and gives answers. After all, we aren't talking about a film where the original crew members are long gone.

The Brian Muir is a member here and there are a few other members who work in the biz making models/props and such.

Did he mean there were seven Yumas or did he confuse the camp band as having "a box" on them? Considering what we know now, I don't think casts of the Yuma/Hero with box were made until after the fact, right?

Oh, he was talking about resin casts. I'm not sure he differentiated between rotj and anh sabers, he was an older guy, but I'M guessing they were what we see on screen: anh castings.

So...it feels weird to say it, YES! there probably were no Yuma/Hero castings until late/after production!

i strongly believe some of the hands at prop shop are members here... we know the electronics for the sabers used in the films is on here as well. they usually choose to be silent. plus if they are still contracted they can't discuss much anyway

as for the OT, most of the prop makers are probably too old for this computer age. the Prequel trilogy on the other hand...

i strongly believe some of the hands at prop shop are members here... we know the electronics for the sabers used in the films is on here as well. they usually choose to be silent. plus if they are still contracted they can't discuss much anyway

as for the OT, most of the prop makers are probably too old for this computer age. the Prequel trilogy on the other hand...

When you said they are too old for the computers, it made think of this lady with her coffee cup in the hard drive.lol
mom-screenedit-620x342.jpg

IMO the climbing-up-the-side-of-the-barge saber has far too matte of a finish to be anything but painted resin. A real graflex clamp would at least have a bit of gleam.

In this case, I sincerely admire the prop guys for slapping black paint in only two area on the emitter, and gaffer tape on the neck, just like the V2 :lol however they gave it a brass neck which baffles me.

Looking at the Zombie Killer pics, I'm thinking what might come off as kind of a brass-y color on the windvane may actually just be the color of the resin cast poking out. The color looks to match the chipped-away bits on the "grenade" body, which has no trace of the silver paint color of the emitter or the "booster" and pommel.

Judging by that there seems to be no other color present on the "grenade" body and the "windvane" besides this khaki-brown and black, I'm of a mind that this was just painted black as per the V2 and then the paint chipped away. Even if the "grenade" rings were painted silver too, it seems most, if not all, of it was chipped away.

Last edited:
And this is the only shot of any metallic color seen...And its in a close-up on what was originally a wide shot... of when it was blurred by being in motion.

I don't think these close-ups of the sail barge sequence is as color corrected as you think they are. They are out of direct sunlight but I think that has worked out for the best. I mean, it even shows emitter isn't even bent. I think we have to rule out the ones that were of lower quality and resolution; they may be causing image distortion.

And this is the only shot of any metallic color seen...And its in a close-up on what was originally a wide shot... of when it was blurred by being in motion.

I don't think these close-ups of the sail barge sequence is as color corrected as you think they are. They are out of direct sunlight but I think that has worked out for the best. I mean, it even shows emitter isn't even bent. I think we have to rule out the ones that were of lower quality and resolution; they may be causing image distortion.

So, hold on, are we suggesting the behind the scenes shot where you can see separate rings is lesser quality than where it looks all brown and muddy?

I don't know which else you're referring to but I'm talking about these photos about the resin cast in question in the sail-barge-side sequence. I think the only ones we can go off of right now are the larger captures of it when it's being trudged up the side. It stands to reason, to me, to work off of them than the one blurred still of it in motion from a distance or a different, poorer quality capture of this same resin cast, is what I'm saying.

Though evidence of this so far is all circumstantial, it does add up and makes a reasonable amount of sense.

I think we're looking at the same set of images. I just think we have different opinions of which image is better quality, color wise. even if you bump the contrast or saturation down, they show completely different paint jobs.
Picture 9.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-18 at 8.44.55 PM.png

Of course they would, but that has more to do with the the two photos being shot at different lights, angles, and with different shutter speeds and apertures. You'll note that the one on the right is a lot brighter, more saturated (the shadow of his body blends with the dark of his clothes), and shot further away. The still picture is completely exposed differently to the one on the left, which was exposed for movie, and that makes a world of difference.

I believe the one on the left, in your example, is closer to the reality of the piece in question than the right one is in terms of color tones. The bottom pic in post 1642 has what resembles and could even easily be interpreted as clear, defined "grenade" rings but that, given the pics above it, shows that that most likely has to do more with how it caught the light and how it was captured on film.

Of course they would, but that has more to do with the the two photos being shot at different lights, angles, and with different shutter speeds and apertures. You'll note that the one on the right is a lot brighter, more saturated (the shadow of his body blends with the dark of his clothes), and shot further away. The still picture is completely exposed differently to the one on the left, which was exposed for movie, and that makes a world of difference.

I believe the one on the left, in your example, is closer to the reality of the piece in question than the right one is in terms of color tones. The bottom pic in post 1642 has what resembles and could even easily be interpreted as clear, defined "grenade" rings but that, given the pics above it, shows that that most likely has to do more with how it caught the light and how it was captured on film.

I like this discussion. I was always under the impression when things got farther from reality, image wise, they got blurrier, duller and over-all muted or pulled all the way orange or blue.
I'm shocked at, what appears to me at first, to be an invented color. His black tuninc > the super black tunic is clear to me. the Brown > Yellow, black and silver still is hard for me to understand.

0154016183639004_9011333168006507946_n_zpshabelvgz.jpg

EMPEROR : '. . . Ah, yes, . . . a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's. By now you must know . . . your father can never be turned from the dark side.'

There's only so much as to what we can 'rediscover' from deducting our so-called 'evidence' from just mere pictures alone ... as to making a screen-accurate looking V2 lightsaber ... please remember the words of the founding Father of STAR WARS George Lucas to his highly talented props crew :

'Don't make it real ... make it believable!'

Chaïm

Yup thats what it looks like when the solder on the clamp bar breaks and the bar falls off, leaving the nut.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back