Luke on Tauntaun Stop motion replica. Finished Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use those microscopic glass bubbles (under the name of either cabosil or cavasil from the place I use to get it from) as filler for resin, but they don't make it anymore due to it being such a health hazard.

Yeah I would have to guess that working with microscopic glass bubbles is worse than fiberglass...

Brad

Oh yeah, cuz that stuff was so light that particles would hang in the air for hours long after you removed your respirator thinking that it all had settled.

Microballoons:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microballoons&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g5

I've used them before and knew that it was hazardous to inhale them, but they're dust-like and so light that they seem to float around the room - as stated above.

Really hard to control because you have to sprinkle them over whatever cement or other binder that you use. To get good coverage you have to pour quite a few on the surface and blow or brush the rest off. The leftovers can be put back in a container and saved to use another time.

But inhaling them is inevitable. Unless you have a biohazard suit...

(And they work really well and give a great finished appearance)

There's some great "snow" that I've seen used for WWII dioramas,but I'd stay away from the micro balloons.I believe Tap Plastics still carries them unless they've discontinued them in stores.Baking soda wouldn't be a bad substitute and it won't destroy your lungs.

WOW! I can't believe you can still get this stuff...... very dangerous! The place I used to get this stuff from came up with their own product to replace the microballoons, much safer, powder substance. Not only are they harmful as is but these microballoons can actually ( and usually do) break and become micro glass shards......... EXTREMELY carcinogenic, once inhaled they are in your lungs for life!

Guy, here's something I came across, more local to you maybe? Probably works on the same principle (lung lacerating), but who knows? Unfortunately, some of their links are broken.

http://www.deluxematerials.com/scalemodelling.html

I went to buy some of this the other day from the local Hobby store & can you believe they've stopped selling it! The internet will provide me with it I'm sure?
I'll post up some results pretty soon, cheers all.

Guy, ive used, and stil got a box kit of scenic snow, id have to say, its about the best "hobby" media ive seen being very delicate and "flaky" in its consistency.
Go to EMA buddy they sell it, or, if you do pop over, you can take mine with ya to try?

lee

Hi GUY , now i am not much of a model maker , so do not laugh as this may very well RUIN your model display , lol ,but, if a scenic effect is all you are after which is maintenance free and will not blow away, you can use this method.
I poured white cheap resin with A LOT (a real lot) of talcum powder mixed inside , it breaks it up somehow and creates pours and holes, it also dos not allow it to level off. While fresh I placed the rocks where I wanted them , pushing them into the fresh resin as it cured. I suppose you could use this as a base , then use you baking soda effect for fresh snow, this is my base for my snowspeeder. I did lightly spray the rocks white from a far.
Hope this helps you in any other way to experiment.
Marcel

Last edited:
Thats the stuff Matt, very good gear, super fine, non yellowing, and ive used it to good effect on an N gauge railway, so it does look the part, even comes with an additive for "frost" effect if desired!

lee

I ordered some just before I read your post mate, bugger! I'm still toying with a snow base for it, I know Julien will be not liking that but it did exist on a replica snow base for most of its working life. It will be good to catch up this week if your around. I'm up in Redditch again on Fri.

If you are just using a fairly thin layer you can use baking soda and spray it with lacquer (I use testors Dullcote). You need to saturate the baking soda fairly well with the lacquer. Once it dries it is very hard and sticks to the surface of your diorama. Or saturate the display base w/ lacquer, add a layer of baking soda, saturate again add another layer of soda if yu want a thicker layer of snow. I have used this method for some 1/35 military dioramas in the past and has worked very well and looks realistic when dries, it dries hard and won't blow around.

I would however where a mask and do this outside if possible, the lacquer is nasty stuff. And defintely let it dry out somewhere out of your living area for awhile.

Thanks all, I think the base is a lot easier to tackle but my task it to achieve the snow that sits on the Taun & Luke. It has to be firm but durable & possibly flexible? This is really racking my Brain.

Funny thing this, i always got the idea, any of the snow effect on the Hoth filming mini's wasnt a permanent fixture, take the Probe Droid for instance, that was dusted in some shots, yet the model today looks very clean.
Id gamble the Taun was the same, it was a dusted layer possibly that was re applied as and when, this making this a harder subject to tackle, but id still go for scenic snow, its the best option ive seen Guy.

As for application, id maybe go with a spray bottle for the adhesive (thinned down to very a very thin viscosity), then dust it down as needed? Bit of a head scratcher this, as you dont want to cheapen anything, which is where, id go for a dry dusting for display?

lee

The last 3 people on my list have been contacted. If anyone still want s to get one of these then it must be ordered before Xmas as it will be our last chance. Thanks to everyone for taking part in this & it looks like the final run is around 10 or so. I truly believe for us lucky few that we have one of the coolest SW collectibles ever made. Jim is around half way through production but each one is turned out quicker than the last so it wont be too long before all are finished. Thanks for being patient & enjoy. It will be the best xmas present(to myself) that I have ever had.

if i could easily donate a part of my body to science and live...I would get one . Until then I'll just blow up a picture and stand it next to my toy tauntauns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back