Lovecraft Props?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by nick daring, Apr 1, 2006.

1. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anybody have anything cool?

I'm a big Lovecraft fan and love some of the prop work that is done by Larp guys as well as just regular fans.

I posted about this subject a couple years ago and was surprised by how many other HPL fans were here.

I'm currently working on a Mi-Go brain cylinder and a Mi-Go sculpt that I plan on turning into a victorian style Automata.

Nick

2. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasn't there a project to create a realistsic Necronomicon, from user submissions?

I remember seeing that online somewhere...

BTW, have you seen the HPLHS's "Call of Cthulhu" silent movie? That was fun :)

Love those guys — great props, too. Finally broke down & bought one of their prop CDs.

That's all that's new on my end.

Oh, wait — I saw five copies of "The King in Yellow" at a local book fair. Was kinda neat.

-Mike

3. moviebuff5

moviebuff5 Well-Known Member

I made a copy of De Vermis Mysteriis from the text available from apocprod.com

I also make a plaque of the seal of R'lyeh. Well, I tried to. I have yet to mount the painting to a backing.

4. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

6. juno

Thanks Agrippa -- I just finished reading Club Dumas a couple of weeks ago.

7. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

No problem.

This is finally something I can talk about. I donÂ’t make Lightsabers or Tricorders. Other people do that sort of thing far better than I ever could.

I make Lovcraft props. My specialty is books. I have made three Necronomicons (English, Latin & Greek), Unausprechlichen Culten, Liber Ivonis, Azathoth and Others, Cultes des Ghoules, De Vermiis Mysteriis & the R'lyeh Text.

All of there are bound by hand with traditional bookbinding techniques and have been aged and weathered.

Have fun.

8. juno

Where's that drooling smiley? PICS PICS...

I would love to especially see the Liber Ivonis and the Cultes des Ghoules. (Can you imagine having been part of the Lovecraft Circle?)

Can you point me to any good bookbinding tutorials?

9. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

I don't know how to post pictures but I will try to figure it out in a little while.

Here are a couple of Bookbinding sites. It's not all that hard to do:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/book/

http://www.philobiblon.com/tutorials.htm

This is a good way to sew the binding of a larger format book if you can't print on a large format printer and do it the "right" way:

http://www.sff.net/people/Brook.West/bind/bindit.html

10. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

OK, I hope this works...

Here is my English language Necronomicon (John Dee translation):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unausprechlichen Culten (German language)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liber Ivonis (Latin version)

[​IMG]

I loaned Cultes des Ghoules to a friend so I will need to take pictures of it another time. The Elder Signs are just there to hold the pages down for Photography.

Thanks to Wackychimp for image hosting.

11. juno

I love it. I even love the elder signs. Are you using the Dover Collection for your clip art? I recently picked up a filter for Photoshop that does the engraving style lines (you can see a small version of it in action on the side graphic for on Web site http://curiousgoods.brilliantignorance.com).

Most impressive.

Oh, and Nick, are you doing your Mi-Go in this style:
    [​IMG]

I'll have to take pics of the Victoriana-style table base I made last year in welding.
    tif

12. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I have to find the time to make a Brain canister. It's just so...icky. lol

13. Mike J.

[​IMG] ?

-Mike

14. juno

Is it really polite posting pictures of my kitchen? ;)

15. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

I watched the trailer for that silent movie that was made for CoC, and I have to say, I was disappointed. It just looked like a bunch of guys that couldn't get parts at the community theater decided that silence was the best way to deliver their overacting. Just me though :unsure

Plus, I didn't like their take on Cthulhu in their idols, and $300.00 is a rediculous ammount to charge for resin statues.

16. darcjedi

darcjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

seeing as it was mentioned earlier, i will take this opportunity to show off my copy of Novum Portis. its one of the most prized pieces in my collection. B)

[​IMG]

i never actually got around to do anything with it, but a couple of years back i had an idea to make up a journal and collection of things that would have been brought back from the expedition in the story "at the mountains of madness". maybe kept in small package made up to look like it was either stored at or mailed to miskatonic university.

17. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's actually pretty close to what my brain cylinder is going to look like.

The story describes it simply as a silver metal casing but making it see through is too cool.

Nick

18. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

Just for your reference, here is the quote from "Whisperer in the Darkness" describing the cylinders.

"There, in a neat row, stood more than a dozen cylinders of a metal I had never seen before - cylinders about a foot high and somewhat less in diameter, with three curious sockets set in an isosceles triangle over the front convex surface of each. One of them was linked at two of the sockets to a pair of singular-looking machines that stood in the background. Of their purport I did not need to be told, and I shivered as with ague. Then I saw the hand point to a much nearer corner where some intricate instruments with attached cords and plugs, several of them much like the two devices on the shelf behind the cylinders, were huddled together.

"There are four kinds of instruments here, Wilmarth," whispered the voice. "Four kinds - three faculties each - makes twelve pieces in all. You see there are four different sorts of beings represented in those cylinders up there. Three humans, six fungoid beings who canÂ’t navigate space corporeally, two beings from Neptune (God. if you could see the body this type has on its own planet.), and the rest entities from the central caverns of an especially interesting dark star beyond the galaxy. In the principal outpost inside Round Hill youÂ’ll now and then find more cylinders and machines - cylinders of extra-cosmic brains with different senses from any we know - allies and explorers from the uttermost Outside - and special machines for giving them impressions and expression in the several ways suited at once to them and to the comprehensions of different types of listeners. Round Hill, like most of the beingsÂ’ main outposts all through the various universes, is a very cosmopolitan place. Of course, only the more common types have been lent to me for experiment.

"Here - take the three machines I point to and set them on the table. That tall one with the two glass lenses in front - then the box with the vacuum tubes and sounding-board - and now the one with the metal disc on top. Now for the cylinder with the label ‘B-67’ pasted on it. Just stand in that Windsor chair to reach the shelf. Heavy? Never mind. Be sure of the number - B-67. Don’t bother that fresh, shiny cylinder joined to the two testing instruments - the one with my name on it. Set B-67 on the table near where you’ve put the machines - and see that the dial switch on all three machines is jammed over to the extreme left.

"Now connect the cord of the lens machine with the upper socket on the cylinder - there. Join the tube machine to the lower left-hand socket, and the disc apparatus to the outer socket. Now move all the dial switches on the machine over to the extreme right - first the lens one, then the disc one, and then the tube one. ThatÂ’s right. I might as well tell you that this is a human being - just like any of us. IÂ’ll give you a taste of some of the others tomorrow." "

I hope it helps...

19. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

You do understand that "over"-acting is the point in a silent film, right? That all films made from the turn of the twentieth century were like this (Dr. Caligari, the excellent Nosferatu[Yay, Kino.], The Golem, Metropolis, et. al.)? Because, when the best dialogue is read by the audience, the actors have to be over the top to convey emotions (and hence why most of them didn't get parts when Hollywood switched to talkies--they couldn't be subtle)...I didn't just give a history lesson, right?

20. GroundskeeperWillie

GroundskeeperWillie Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't think anyone else would be interested in this sort of thing. I'm a HUGE Lovecraft fan and am very impressed by what I'm seeing here. What about other odd items from the stories, like the Shining Trapezohedron in it's metal box from The Haunter of the Dark, or one of the copper plates on which the Great Race of Yith record their history? There are a lot of cool props I'd love to see.

21. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(GroundskeeperWillie @ Jun 22 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]1265845[/snapback]</div>

I read all of his stuff while in Iraq. When this thread started, This is what I wanted to see. :)

I might actually find that story again and try to recreate that "book".

I loved that story

22. GroundskeeperWillie

GroundskeeperWillie Well-Known Member

Have you played the Xbox game Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of Earth? It was pretty cool to see the Great Race well-represented in a console game. I got really excited when they made an appearance. I've always loved that story.

23. Mike J.

The Shadow Out of Time, right?

One of my favorites :D

I gotta take some pics of my Necronomicon...

-Mike

Ok, here we go:

[​IMG]

This is a photo from last fall; I set up my Nec. with some other stuff as if someone was doing research. That's it in the upper center, open to chapter V, with "Phnugli" etc. on the right page.

There's other stuff there, some canon and some not. Can you tell what's what?

:D

-Mike

24. Mike J.

A Bump from Beyond...

[​IMG]

What is this musty old tome?

[​IMG]

It is not what it appears to be...

[​IMG]

Looks like someone tampered with powers beyond his control.

[​IMG]

But what of the book? Perhaps it was destroyed by fire...

-Mike

* Mad props to WC for hosting.

25. RPGnerd

RPGnerd Active Member

I'm a Mythos propmaker, making Lovecraft inspired props all within the world of the Mythos.

Most of what I make are Idols, but my Mythos Dagger and Sword have been featured on propnomicon and I have also done some pewter Elder Signs. I've done a few paper props but mostly enjoy things I can touch. I'd love to get some feedback so if anyones interested here is my Cthulhu prop gallery http://vonmeer.deviantart.com/gallery/#Call-of-Cthulhu .

26. division 6

division 6 Master Member

27. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

28. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

A new badge.

[​IMG]

A big one of these hung on the church wall in the movie "Dagon".
    [​IMG]

29. superDrool

superDrool Sr Member

Not quite a prop, but a must have for the die-hard fan. I own the hardcover version and is worth every penny.

"Lovecraft"
    Vertigo | Graphic Novels

30. RevMarx

RevMarx New Member

I have been a fan of Lovecraft and his contemporaries for a long time. I run many Call of Cthulhu role-playing games at the Origins Game fair every year with the Rogue Cthulhu crew (Rogue Cthulhu).

I also make lovecraftian props (among other things). I have made numerous prop tomes and other items that I have sold on eBay, and a special set of props for an independent film called "The Black Duke" (that I don't think ever got made). Here is a pic of the set.

[​IMG]

I am currently working on a pair of books that will be featured in the upcoming short film "Doctor Glamour" (Kickstart Doctor Glamour | Directors Notes).

I post build notes and finished pics for most if my projects (lovecraftian, steampunk, and otherwise) on my blog, MRX Designs (MRX Designs Home Page). I post many tutorials for the techniques I use, including traditional bookbinding techniques.

-Rev. Marx

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  31. Collektor

Collektor Active Member

32. Electricwestern

Electricwestern New Member

33. RevMarx

RevMarx New Member

I just finished work on two new prop tomes for an upcoming film project called "Doctor Glamour". Here is a picture of the first of the two, "De vermis Mysteriis". If you are interested, I have more pictures as well as construction pics and notes on my blog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a "Necronomicon" for the film. I will be posting pics of it soon.
    -Rev. Marx

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  34. RevMarx

RevMarx New Member

Doctor Glamour has wrapped filming and is in post production. It should be finished around October, I hear.
    Here are some pics of the second prop tome I made for that film, the Necronomicon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, you can find more pics and a build log on my web site.

35. Mike J.

That's a nice one!

36. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Forgive the aside, but do any of you know if a side profile imge of ol' H.P. exists? Seems like there's only one picture of him in existence.

37. Shendorion

Shendorion Well-Known Member

My wife's banned HPL props in the house. One of our friends got us a stuffed Cthulu doll (the black one with silver details,) and she was creeped out by our daughter's affection for it. She'd walk around the house with him, referring to him as "His Dread Majesty" until mom just got fed up and hid him in the garage.

38. sitzombiesit

sitzombiesit New Member

Maybe do a build of the lightning guns mentioned in "Shadow Out of Time"? Anyone? lol

39. skunkito

skunkito New Member

Me as Cthulu - President Elect.

[​IMG]

40. Herbert West

Herbert West New Member

A shame its been so quiet here lately, as Lovecraft is right up my alley! Figure I'll share a few pieces.

I used some of RevMarx techniques to make my De Vermis Mysteriis. Namely soaking a book in water, and using Skulpy to make the lettering. Thank you sir for the inspiration!

de_vermis_mysteriis__mysteries_of_the_worm__2_by_herbertw-d6s8gjl.jpg

A slightly silly Face in a Box. the teeth are cast from my own, using Skulpey and Five Minute epoxy.

the_face_in_a_box_2_by_herbertw-d5qt8v2.jpg

A Deep One fang done as a commission piece.

deep_one_fang_contents_by_herbertw-d57az9z.jpg

And a nasty little worm found in the sewers under Innsmouth.

new_thing_in_a_jar_by_herbertw-d420fjm.jpg

I've got more over at My DeviantArt page. HerbertW (Phil Bolton) on deviantART

Attached Files:

41. The Schlitzie

The Schlitzie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Phil :cheers !

Awesome work man, your De Vermis Mysteriis is great!

42. DoctorEight

DoctorEight Active Member

Propnomicon.com is a great blog showcasing many great mythos props.

43. apamak

apamak New Member

For a general digest on what's going on I second the Propnomicon blog. I like his attention to the paper ephemera. I've got one of the 'Miskatonic Australian Expedition' packs which included a pin badge, a patch and a notepad with the expedition logo on it and some photos and postcards as supporting material.

44. JD Douglas

JD Douglas Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This would have been golden to me 15 or so years ago when I was running live action Call of Cthulhu games (Dead Earth Productions...anyone? Anyone? Bueller?).

It looks like they've got a fantastic collection there.

- JD

45. DoctorEight

DoctorEight Active Member

Missed the Australian and Antarctic packs, but would buy in a heartbeat if he did a new run.

46. Mike J.

I carved this a while ago – it's my first time, be gentle ;)

Also laid out this titlepage to a book mentioned by Robert E. Howard in The Black Stone.

I have another titlepage coming up, for HPL's birthday....

Attached Files:

47. The Schlitzie

Cool! What'd you carve it out from?

48. Mike J.

Thanks!

Rectangular chunk of basswood. I picked up ye olde whittler's starter kit at the crafts store, thought I'd give it a go. Tougher than it looks, course I should have been using real tools and not my X-acto knife...

I'll try my Dremel for the next one.

The Schlitzie likes this.
  49. Mike J.

THis shows the color better. Still pretty blurry. Thanks for nothing, macro mode!

Attached Files:

50. The Schlitzie

EDIT: That's cool. It looks very primitive!

I didn't think you got in on this run so I thought I'd share a pic. It came in a very nicely aged crate and a staggering amount of paper props as well. Mailed over the months (as the props were built) as correspondence from the explorer protagonist and buyers (financial backers)

[​IMG]

Letters, postcards, telegraphs etc.! Oh my!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014