Lovecraft Props?

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anybody have anything cool?

I'm a big Lovecraft fan and love some of the prop work that is done by Larp guys as well as just regular fans.

I posted about this subject a couple years ago and was surprised by how many other HPL fans were here.

I'm currently working on a Mi-Go brain cylinder and a Mi-Go sculpt that I plan on turning into a victorian style Automata.

Nick

Wasn't there a project to create a realistsic Necronomicon, from user submissions?

I remember seeing that online somewhere...

BTW, have you seen the HPLHS's "Call of Cthulhu" silent movie? That was fun :)

Love those guys — great props, too. Finally broke down & bought one of their prop CDs.

That's all that's new on my end.

Oh, wait — I saw five copies of "The King in Yellow" at a local book fair. Was kinda neat.

-Mike

I made a copy of De Vermis Mysteriis from the text available from apocprod.com

I also make a plaque of the seal of R'lyeh. Well, I tried to. I have yet to mount the painting to a backing.

Originally posted by juno@Apr 1 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Agrippa -- I just finished reading Club Dumas a couple of weeks ago.
[snapback]1217707[/snapback]​

No problem.

This is finally something I can talk about. I donÂ’t make Lightsabers or Tricorders. Other people do that sort of thing far better than I ever could.

I make Lovcraft props. My specialty is books. I have made three Necronomicons (English, Latin & Greek), Unausprechlichen Culten, Liber Ivonis, Azathoth and Others, Cultes des Ghoules, De Vermiis Mysteriis & the R'lyeh Text.

All of there are bound by hand with traditional bookbinding techniques and have been aged and weathered.

Have fun.

Where's that drooling smiley? PICS PICS...

I would love to especially see the Liber Ivonis and the Cultes des Ghoules. (Can you imagine having been part of the Lovecraft Circle?)

Can you point me to any good bookbinding tutorials?

Originally posted by juno@Apr 1 2006, 02:48 PM
Where's that drooling smiley?  PICS PICS...

I would love to especially see the Liber Ivonis and the Cultes des Ghoules.  (Can you imagine having been part of the Lovecraft Circle?)

Can you point me to any good bookbinding tutorials?
[snapback]1217767[/snapback]​

I don't know how to post pictures but I will try to figure it out in a little while.

Here are a couple of Bookbinding sites. It's not all that hard to do:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/book/

http://www.philobiblon.com/tutorials.htm

This is a good way to sew the binding of a larger format book if you can't print on a large format printer and do it the "right" way:

http://www.sff.net/people/Brook.West/bind/bindit.html

OK, I hope this works...

Here is my English language Necronomicon (John Dee translation):

Necro2.jpg

Necro.jpg

Unausprechlichen Culten (German language)

Kulten2.jpg

Kulten.jpg

Liber Ivonis (Latin version)

Ivonis.jpg

I loaned Cultes des Ghoules to a friend so I will need to take pictures of it another time. The Elder Signs are just there to hold the pages down for Photography.

Thanks to Wackychimp for image hosting.

I love it. I even love the elder signs. Are you using the Dover Collection for your clip art? I recently picked up a filter for Photoshop that does the engraving style lines (you can see a small version of it in action on the side graphic for on Web site http://curiousgoods.brilliantignorance.com).

Most impressive.

Oh, and Nick, are you doing your Mi-Go in this style:
mi-go.gif

I'll have to take pics of the Victoriana-style table base I made last year in welding.
tif

Originally posted by juno@Apr 1 2006, 10:56 PM
I love it.  I even love the elder signs.  Are you using the Dover Collection for your clip art?  I recently picked up a filter for Photoshop that does the engraving style lines (you can see a small version of it in action on the side graphic for on Web site http://curiousgoods.brilliantignorance.com).

Most impressive.

Oh, and Nick, are you doing your Mi-Go in this style:
mi-go.gif

I'll have to take pics of the Victoriana-style table base I made last year in welding.
tif
[snapback]1217932[/snapback]​

I have to find the time to make a Brain canister. It's just so...icky. lol

I watched the trailer for that silent movie that was made for CoC, and I have to say, I was disappointed. It just looked like a bunch of guys that couldn't get parts at the community theater decided that silence was the best way to deliver their overacting. Just me though :unsure

Plus, I didn't like their take on Cthulhu in their idols, and $300.00 is a rediculous ammount to charge for resin statues.

seeing as it was mentioned earlier, i will take this opportunity to show off my copy of Novum Portis. its one of the most prized pieces in my collection. B)

9th_gate.jpg

i never actually got around to do anything with it, but a couple of years back i had an idea to make up a journal and collection of things that would have been brought back from the expedition in the story "at the mountains of madness". maybe kept in small package made up to look like it was either stored at or mailed to miskatonic university.

That's actually pretty close to what my brain cylinder is going to look like.

The story describes it simply as a silver metal casing but making it see through is too cool.

Nick

Just for your reference, here is the quote from "Whisperer in the Darkness" describing the cylinders.

"There, in a neat row, stood more than a dozen cylinders of a metal I had never seen before - cylinders about a foot high and somewhat less in diameter, with three curious sockets set in an isosceles triangle over the front convex surface of each. One of them was linked at two of the sockets to a pair of singular-looking machines that stood in the background. Of their purport I did not need to be told, and I shivered as with ague. Then I saw the hand point to a much nearer corner where some intricate instruments with attached cords and plugs, several of them much like the two devices on the shelf behind the cylinders, were huddled together.

"There are four kinds of instruments here, Wilmarth," whispered the voice. "Four kinds - three faculties each - makes twelve pieces in all. You see there are four different sorts of beings represented in those cylinders up there. Three humans, six fungoid beings who canÂ’t navigate space corporeally, two beings from Neptune (God. if you could see the body this type has on its own planet.), and the rest entities from the central caverns of an especially interesting dark star beyond the galaxy. In the principal outpost inside Round Hill youÂ’ll now and then find more cylinders and machines - cylinders of extra-cosmic brains with different senses from any we know - allies and explorers from the uttermost Outside - and special machines for giving them impressions and expression in the several ways suited at once to them and to the comprehensions of different types of listeners. Round Hill, like most of the beingsÂ’ main outposts all through the various universes, is a very cosmopolitan place. Of course, only the more common types have been lent to me for experiment.

"Here - take the three machines I point to and set them on the table. That tall one with the two glass lenses in front - then the box with the vacuum tubes and sounding-board - and now the one with the metal disc on top. Now for the cylinder with the label ‘B-67’ pasted on it. Just stand in that Windsor chair to reach the shelf. Heavy? Never mind. Be sure of the number - B-67. Don’t bother that fresh, shiny cylinder joined to the two testing instruments - the one with my name on it. Set B-67 on the table near where you’ve put the machines - and see that the dial switch on all three machines is jammed over to the extreme left.

"Now connect the cord of the lens machine with the upper socket on the cylinder - there. Join the tube machine to the lower left-hand socket, and the disc apparatus to the outer socket. Now move all the dial switches on the machine over to the extreme right - first the lens one, then the disc one, and then the tube one. ThatÂ’s right. I might as well tell you that this is a human being - just like any of us. IÂ’ll give you a taste of some of the others tomorrow." "

I hope it helps...

Originally posted by Immortal Goat@Apr 1 2006, 10:43 PM
I watched the trailer for that silent movie that was made for CoC, and I have to say, I was disappointed. It just looked like a bunch of guys that couldn't get parts at the community theater decided that silence was the best way to deliver their overacting. Just me though  :unsure

Plus, I didn't like their take on Cthulhu in their idols, and $300.00 is a rediculous ammount to charge for resin statues.
[snapback]1218008[/snapback]​

You do understand that "over"-acting is the point in a silent film, right? That all films made from the turn of the twentieth century were like this (Dr. Caligari, the excellent Nosferatu[Yay, Kino.], The Golem, Metropolis, et. al.)? Because, when the best dialogue is read by the audience, the actors have to be over the top to convey emotions (and hence why most of them didn't get parts when Hollywood switched to talkies--they couldn't be subtle)...I didn't just give a history lesson, right?

Wow I didn't think anyone else would be interested in this sort of thing. I'm a HUGE Lovecraft fan and am very impressed by what I'm seeing here. What about other odd items from the stories, like the Shining Trapezohedron in it's metal box from The Haunter of the Dark, or one of the copper plates on which the Great Race of Yith record their history? There are a lot of cool props I'd love to see.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back