haasofprops

I've been wanting to take on a larger shield build and making a Gondorian shield seemed like a good excuse to use. I could never afford one of the shields from United Cutlery so that helped with the decision as well:)
I began by making a jig out of 2x4s and 3/4" plywood
Rpf1.jpg

Then glued 2 pieces of 1/8" lauan together and strapped them down onto the jig with rachet straps. Let it dry overnight and then cut the shield shape the next day.
Rpf2.jpg

Next the back was skinned with some foam.
Rpf3.jpg

And PVC pipe was bent to make a handle which was mounted to the back with screws.
Rpf4.jpg

The a wood burner with a knife tip was used to create the planking lines.
Rpf5.jpg

The woodgrain texture was carved .
Rpf6.jpg

The front was skinned, wood textured, and then foam was used to create the bindings at the ends of the shield. And these where then textured to look like hammered steel.
Rpf7.jpg

Then the appliques were glued into place.
Rpf8.jpg

And different wood burner tips were used to create texturing on the Tree of Gondor
Rpf9.jpg

Rpf10.jpg

After the shield was sprayed with Plasti Dip and dried, the shield was finished and could be painted.
Rpf11.jpg

Rpf12.jpg

Rpf13.jpg

Rpf14.jpg

If you would like to see the entire process in more detail, please check out my video:

I like the idea of heating of the knife like that. Any type of cutting like that, even without heat, always that fear on a big peace, to slip and mess the whole thing up.....always nerve wreaking.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back