Lot of rumors Trek is returning to tv

It needs to be back on TV. J.J.'s movies are Star Wars prequels.

Eh, I think it depends entirely on who'd end up running it. Taking it out of JJ's hands won't automatically make it better. And, to be honest, I think it'd only confuse matters for franchise purposes. These days -- DC Comics notwithstanding -- the trend is towards brand unification, not fragmentation. So I don't see anything on TV being different from JJ's continuity.

Eh, I think it depends entirely on who'd end up running it. Taking it out of JJ's hands won't automatically make it better. And, to be honest, I think it'd only confuse matters for franchise purposes. These days -- DC Comics notwithstanding -- the trend is towards brand unification, not fragmentation. So I don't see anything on TV being different from JJ's continuity.

Yeah, although I agree that Trek works best on TV, I think the powers that be really want to establish a film franchise. They have potential but they also have had missteps. A lot is riding on the next film.

The fragmentation happened when JJ and his supreme court decided that they didn't want anything to do with the original continuity. And before they even committed the Enterprise on a mission of exploration, everyone who helped start this new continuity has already moved on to other projects. CBS has TOS-VOY which spans decades of television and stories where JJ only has two movies that always deal with saving the Earth.

And even if the series did take place in JJ's continuity, you think they'll be able to get all the actors from the movies to play the original crew? I highly doubt it. Not even Agents of SHIELD could get a movie title character to appear in any one of their episodes. Unless CBS does their own reboot of TOS, there isn't going to be a show following the original series crew even if it was set in JJ's continuity, so what's the point? You want to follow a continuity that only has two movies that barely go anywhere, or a continuity that has decades of stories that helped shape science fiction in general? It certainly has the better Khan.

"It's dead Jim!" :D
It probably will be (at least for a while) after the next film, at least for a while.
That said, there are a few gems to be found in the fan film arena. Phase 2 has been a little hit and miss, Continues looks promising, and I loved Prelude to Axanar (even though it's a toattly different feel to TV Trek, it still works). I guess it just shows that decent Trek comes from those that actually love/understand the source material.

although I agree that Trek works best on TV...

treknod.gif

I still think it would be better to have a series that involves a different ship and crew but in the same period as the original series.

It probably will be (at least for a while) after the next film, at least for a while.
That said, there are a few gems to be found in the fan film arena. Phase 2 has been a little hit and miss, Continues looks promising, and I loved Prelude to Axanar (even though it's a toattly different feel to TV Trek, it still works). I guess it just shows that decent Trek comes from those that actually love/understand the source material.

I'm sorry, but while the fan stuff may have good stories, the acting in them is so horrible I want to gouge out my eyes and rip out my eardrums. The different tv series of Star Trek may not have had award-worthy acting, but it never made me want to do that.

As long as there is a female crew member with big Spaceballs in a tight catsuit.

With this rumor, I also hope they announce that DS9 and Voyager are hitting Blu-Ray.

Wonder if this is case of "Where's there's smoke..." I don't know, we'll see. If Disney comes to the obvious conclusion they're leaving money on the table by not making more Star Wars content, you have to be pretty sure someone at CBSP is asking those some questions about a Trek tv series.

Wonder if this is case of "Where's there's smoke..." I don't know, we'll see. If Disney comes to the obvious conclusion they're leaving money on the table by not making more Star Wars content, you have to be pretty sure someone at CBSP is asking those some questions about a Trek tv series.

Funny how history repeats itself...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back