Lot of rumors Trek is returning to tv

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Mar 27, 2015.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. Grey

Grey Sr Member

Sources: None.

3. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

It needs to be back on TV. J.J.'s movies are Star Wars prequels.

blueunit1701 likes this.
  4. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Eh, I think it depends entirely on who'd end up running it. Taking it out of JJ's hands won't automatically make it better. And, to be honest, I think it'd only confuse matters for franchise purposes. These days -- DC Comics notwithstanding -- the trend is towards brand unification, not fragmentation. So I don't see anything on TV being different from JJ's continuity.

Riceball likes this.
  5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"It's dead Jim!" :D

6. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Yeah, although I agree that Trek works best on TV, I think the powers that be really want to establish a film franchise. They have potential but they also have had missteps. A lot is riding on the next film.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

The fragmentation happened when JJ and his supreme court decided that they didn't want anything to do with the original continuity. And before they even committed the Enterprise on a mission of exploration, everyone who helped start this new continuity has already moved on to other projects. CBS has TOS-VOY which spans decades of television and stories where JJ only has two movies that always deal with saving the Earth.

And even if the series did take place in JJ's continuity, you think they'll be able to get all the actors from the movies to play the original crew? I highly doubt it. Not even Agents of SHIELD could get a movie title character to appear in any one of their episodes. Unless CBS does their own reboot of TOS, there isn't going to be a show following the original series crew even if it was set in JJ's continuity, so what's the point? You want to follow a continuity that only has two movies that barely go anywhere, or a continuity that has decades of stories that helped shape science fiction in general? It certainly has the better Khan.

Wes R likes this.
  8. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

It probably will be (at least for a while) after the next film, at least for a while.
    That said, there are a few gems to be found in the fan film arena. Phase 2 has been a little hit and miss, Continues looks promising, and I loved Prelude to Axanar (even though it's a toattly different feel to TV Trek, it still works). I guess it just shows that decent Trek comes from those that actually love/understand the source material.

9. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I just hope it's in the real universe post Voyager and not the reboot crap.

The Terminator likes this.
  10. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Axlotl likes this.
  11. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

[​IMG]

12. alienscollection.com

13. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I still think it would be better to have a series that involves a different ship and crew but in the same period as the original series.

14. seelsa73

seelsa73 Sr Member

I'm sorry, but while the fan stuff may have good stories, the acting in them is so horrible I want to gouge out my eyes and rip out my eardrums. The different tv series of Star Trek may not have had award-worthy acting, but it never made me want to do that.

The Terminator and Apollo like this.
  15. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

As long as there is a female crew member with big Spaceballs in a tight catsuit.

With this rumor, I also hope they announce that DS9 and Voyager are hitting Blu-Ray.

The Terminator likes this.
  16. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

FIX STAR TREK!

Get back to the roots and tell compelling Sci Fi tales that Trek could once do so very well.

17. Grey

Grey Sr Member

It's the same content being regurgitated with no actual source, they just link back to the "latino-review" article at the bottom of the page.

This is why I don't like internet "reporting", people just repeat something they read elsewhere as if it were fact.

18. alienscollection.com

Wonder if this is case of "Where's there's smoke..." I don't know, we'll see. If Disney comes to the obvious conclusion they're leaving money on the table by not making more Star Wars content, you have to be pretty sure someone at CBSP is asking those some questions about a Trek tv series.

19. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Funny how history repeats itself...

20. Apollo

Yeah but look at what we first were shown! :lol

21. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

why not new series with new ship/crew that has alot of stuff from voyager added to it? after all it took back borg technology, future technology and lots more. potential enough there for a good writer.

22. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Someone made a point that a new Star Trek show just wouldn't fit into the kind of channel that CBS is currently. Even saying that it would have a better chance being on Showtime (owned by CBS) than CBS itself.

23. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

No, I mean it was SW that lit a fire under Paramount to bring back Trek in 1979!

24. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Look the altverse stuff can be fixed. All we need is for Leonard Nimoy to....Oh Crap...

25. Apollo

Yes I know, and sadly we go STMP!

26. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Agreed. There are so many things that they did right in TOS that they have never done well in any other series. As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek ended in the 60s. The rest has all been crap.

27. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Oh I'm sorry, I see what you were saying now!

28. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hear hear :)

29. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

I don't think there's a tv show I want more than new trek. Not even live action star wars. If they set it post Voyager it would make my day.
    Similarly to how I always expected more star wars movies to be made, I'm sure trek back on tv will happen eventually. Just a matter of when.

30. mistymills

mistymills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well ours has a cast of mostly professional actors, but most productions don't. It's also really hard to have pros in it because once they go SAG we have to replace them. Plus most fan productions come from people being fans and not from them being professional filmmakers.

All costs are out of pocket since we can't make money or fundraise, so that plays into quality too.

31. alienscollection.com

32. mistymills

mistymills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just... :cry

33. seelsa73

seelsa73 Sr Member

Just goes to show what hacks latino review has

34. Sluis Van Shipyards

Well hopefully with SW taking off again and all the studios seemingly scrambling to put together a Marvel-esque movie plan, someone over there will decide they better get ST back on TV soon.

35. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

99.997% of "journalists" are just that. Can't even do a quick fact check to find out that JJ's 2009 Star Trek film DID NOT come out 2008 :facepalm

36. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Latinoreview: "So new Star Trek series happening & going to Netflix 2016 called STAR TREK GALAXY with Bryan Singer involved :) I'm happy. NO APRIL FOOLS"

Which means it's likely April Fools.

37. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For the duds they have reported, they have dozens more real scoops to prove that they are more than mere hacks. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Umberto Gonzalez from Latino Review aka elmayimbe on Twitter.

elmayimbe: "Guys, Waingro over at flatline is going to confirm our Star Trek TV story today. So heads up when he arrogantly doesn't give us credit."

He is referring to Deadline.com. The site publishes exclusive/breaking stories from time to time mainly due to the news given directly by the studio. But they are also known to publish stories which was taken from other sites which had the exclusive scoop first, but Deadline never credits those sites and publishes them as their own.

Anyways, this rumor might lead to something after all. Star Trek on Netflix, didn't see that coming.

elmayimbe: "No April Fools. The Star Trek TV story is real. It's going to Netflix."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  38. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I've been hearing about this for a while now but never watched an episode.
    I clicked on your link and now I can't stop watching.
    This is brilliant! Thank you!

39. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Gotta agree, that was good. If I didn't know better I would swear that I was watching an episode of the Original series. Well done.

40. alienscollection.com

41. Apollo

42. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Up until enterprise I could say I had seen every episode of every TV show that star trek made, I spent hundreds of pounds buying videos that are worthless now of TNG, DS9 and voyager because the UK was years behind and I didn't want to be, and I couldn't even be bothered to watch every week on a show that was on tv for free of star trek, for someone that had bought countless books, action figures, models and toys of star trek, suddenly I found myself in the position of new star trek being a bit, meh.

If you bring it back to tv, you better have interesting stories to tell, but if you are bringing it back just to milk the cash cow for a bit more, then just don't, that well ran dry decades ago.

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  43. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

I know a couple of the people that has been dealing with CBS about the proposed new series. With the reboot movie cast signing the fourth film deal it has effectively killed that potential series. Its one thats not been mentioned in this thread (that I noticed) nor mentioned in the Latino Review article.

44. Sluis Van Shipyards

Well they will be surprised at the backlash if they think a tv show based on the JJ universe would fly.

45. mtpalin

mtpalin Well-Known Member

It's easy to say that a new series should be as good as the original. The problem is that there is no Gene Roddenberry behind the effort.

Fan productions are to be lauded, but if you want great stories, with the character development and chemistry behind them and the attendant production value, you need someone with the vision (and the financing) behind them to pull it off.

46. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

.. that is not a problem. At all. Period.