Lost in Trek's TOS Replica Collection

Lost in Trek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've decided to photograph my TOS prop collection and thought I would create a thread to document. I'll be adding to this thread as I take pics, in batches.

First up tricorders, all built up by me from parts I was able to collecct over several years.

First up are replicas of Wah's two tricorders, the TMOST and the Jewelarama.

**TMOST**
Straight door pulls, blue watch crowns and a moire in the center compartment are what define this version. The strap is replica of the original installed by Wah, black on one side, tan on the other. I enlarged the last black divider on the memory drum to mimic the look of the original.

TMOST.jpg

TMOST-open.jpg

**Jewelarama** (my personal favorite)
This version has "L"shaped handles (without the curved ends), black switch on the crossbar, green, red and blue watch crowns and a jewelarama disc in the center compartment. I made this one with a removable disc.

Jewelarama-4.jpg

Jewelarama-1.jpg

Jewelarama-2.jpg

Jewelarama-3.jpg

**Geo**
Only seen briefly in the 3rd season episode "That Which Survives", the Geo was a combination of parts from the above two tricorders, body was the TMOST and control panel from the Jewelarama.

Geo.jpg

**Fiberglass**
The mid-grade versions appeared about halfway into the first season. This replica is made with fiberglass shells, aluminum parts and a wooden back, like the original. The control panel used sewing pins instead of watch crowns and the buttons were made by the Desilu prop department (not like the hubs used by Wah). I attempted to recreate that look as best I could.

Fiberglass.jpg

Fiberglass-door-open.jpg

**Leatherette**
OK, I cheated here... I used a set of soft pull shells and spray painted them with a rubber type material. I attempted to capture the details of this tricorder, speaker material flush with face plate, watch crowns with brass, not silver, bases. This version also had black, not silver, sides in the bottom door compartment.

Note this was the only version of the tricorder to have an unpainted aluminum base. All other versions had black bases.

Lastly, it appears this is also the only version in which the hood impacts and is stopped by the front aluminum bar.

Leatherette.jpg

Leatherette-hood.jpg

Leatherette-open.jpg

**Stunt**
Gaffer tape and cardboard.
Stunt.jpg

Last edited:
Next up all 10 versions of the TOS communicator. First three built by a friend. I built the other 7.

DSCN0749.jpg

DSCN0750.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

DSCN0756.jpg

DSCN0758.jpg

DSCN0759.jpg

DSCN0760.jpg

DSCN0761.jpg

More pics coming soon

Attachments

• DSCN0761.jpg
    DSCN0761.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0760.jpg
    DSCN0760.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0759.jpg
    DSCN0759.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0758.jpg
    DSCN0758.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0756.jpg
    DSCN0756.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0755.jpg
    DSCN0755.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0754.jpg
    DSCN0754.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0752.jpg
    DSCN0752.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0750.jpg
    DSCN0750.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0749.jpg
    DSCN0749.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I've decided to photograph my TOS prop collection and thought I would create a thread to document. I'll be adding to this thread as I take pics, in batches.

First up tricorders, all built up by me from parts I was able to collecct over several years.

**TMOST**
Straight door pulls, blue watch crowns and a moire in the center compartment are what define this version. The strap is replica of the original installed by Wah, black on one side, tan on the other. I enlarged the last black divider on the memory drum to mimic the look of the original.

View attachment 1570807

View attachment 1570808

This version has "L"shaped handles (without the curved ends), black switch on the crossbar, green, red and blue watch crowns and a jewelarama disc in the center compartment. I made this one with a removable disc.

View attachment 1570809

View attachment 1570810

View attachment 1570811

View attachment 1570812

**Geo**
Only seen briefly in the 3rd season episode "That Which Survives", the Geo was a combination of parts from the above two tricorders, body was the TMOST and control panel from the Jewelarama.

View attachment 1570813

**Fiberglass**
The mid-grade versions appeared about halfway into the first season. This replica is made with fiberglass shells, aluminum parts and a wooden back, like the original. The control panel used sewing pins instead of watch crowns and the buttons were made by the Desilu prop department (not like the hubs used by Wah). I attempted to recreate that look as best I could.

View attachment 1570814

View attachment 1570815

**Leatherette**
OK, I cheated here... I used a set of soft pull shells and spray painted them with a rubber type material. I attempted to capture the details of this tricorder, speaker material flush with face plate, watch crowns with brass, not silver, bases. This version also had black, not silver, sides in the bottom door compartment.

Note this was the only version of the tricorder to have an unpainted aluminum base. All other versions had black bases.

Lastly, it appears this is also the only version in which the hood impacts and is stopped by the front aluminum bar.

View attachment 1570816

View attachment 1570817

View attachment 1570818

**Stunt**
View attachment 1570819
Mr. L. Trek: you've performed a Man's-sized job here, done the Lord's work, and turned out living testaments to the genesis of this wonderful prop. I've archived all of your images, thank you. With the loss of Herocomm, it's up to Guardians such as yourself to keep the faith alive. (Upon re-reading this screed, it has definite religious overtones—they are purely affectation for amusement.) Best. Mike.

Attachments

• I Stole Your Post copy.jpg
    I Stole Your Post copy.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 60

**TMOST**

View attachment 1570807

View attachment 1570808

View attachment 1570809

View attachment 1570810

View attachment 1570811

View attachment 1570812

**Geo**

View attachment 1570813

**Fiberglass**

View attachment 1570814

View attachment 1570815

**Leatherette**

View attachment 1570816

View attachment 1570817

View attachment 1570818

**Stunt**
View attachment 1570819
Were the squared off hatch pulls a feature of the wah-b or an aesthetic choice on your part? It's difficult to tell from my screen grabs. Best. Mike.

Attachments

• 20221028_132052.jpg
    20221028_132052.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 44
Were the squared off hatch pulls a feature of the wah-b or an aesthetic choice on your part? It's difficult to tell from my screen grabs. Best. Mike.

That version had squared off door pulls until replaced by the curved.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 79
LIT:

Thanx for your prompt response. I'm working on replicating the Wah-B using a John Marco kit and Bart Braun ElectroForge Tricorder Simulator. I had intended knocking the corners off of the pulls as I was most familiar with that particular look. Bart's faceplate takes necessary liberties because of certain engineering realities, but I'd like it to be as faithful to the Chang as possible. [See my attached mock-up.]

Your builds that you've shown here are one of the inspirations that I carry moving forward.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Bart B.jpg
    Bart B.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 74
Love this thread.

And I really should have gotten a second TREKME/Jayeff kit, back in the day, so that I could do a Jewelarama build. Oh, wait, John Long is still lording it over people as One of The Experts by claiming it wasn't a Jewelrama, and is dropping hints about producing a kit to maintain relevance. Oh, and HeroComm is "HeroCon", despite their extensive and transparent research. Sigh. The negative aspects of this hobby can be really annoying, with the egos and all.

Anyway, I also built a TMOST-style tricorder (with the straight door pulls and two-tone strap) with the one kit I did get.

Love this thread.

And I really should have gotten a second TREKME/Jayeff kit, back in the day, so that I could do a Jewelarama build. Oh, wait, John Long is still lording it over people as One of The Experts by claiming it wasn't a Jewelrama, and is dropping hints about producing a kit to maintain relevance. Oh, and HeroComm is "HeroCon", despite their extensive and transparent research. Sigh. The negative aspects of this hobby can be really annoying, with the egos and all.

Anyway, I also built a TMOST-style tricorder (with the straight door pulls and two-tone strap) with the one kit I did get.

Love this thread.

Gregatron:

Thanx for the feedback.

At aged 12, I started watching TOS when first broadcast, but I'm relatively new to the whole prop community and am learning as I go. One thing that is apparent is that there is a lot of Inside Baseball going on which I try to avoid and do my best to find the most accurate information extant. I hate when Mum and Dad argue.

"Shoulda," woulda...let's not got down that road—it leads only to sadness. I could curl your hair with tales of long-lost musical equipment, but I digress. "TREKME/Jayeff kit," Gracie...? I'm still learning the lingo—to what do you refer? I've seen John's opinion on the jewelarama situation but I have sourced one that pretty much fits the usual moiré ring and comes from an actual 60's-vintage broach. Whether or not Chang used one exactly like it, the bill should be filled.

Speaking of Long, I do hope that he comes out with his kit. I own neither his previous phaser or communicator, but I've heard good things and they certainly seem authentic when built properly.

Neither of my current tricorder builds will be 100% authentic as I will be using Bart Braun's ElectroForge Tricorder Simulator Faceplate (V2) where the display geometry had to be "reimagined" to accommodate the LCD he uses according to Hobson's choice. We have made an effort to secure period watch crowns and Windsor "fabric."

Herocomm was one of my first online references when I started researching the phaser and communicator that I purchased in the 70s when I finally had the money. They referred me to Anthony Russo's Thecopycats.org site where I discovered that they were from Mike D.'s Starfleet Fabrication where we probably shared Dealers Rooms Back-in-the-Day. It was only quite a while after gobbling down everything I could at Herocomm and they went ****-up that I was even aware that there was some question as to their research methodology.

I would very much like to see your TMOST/Wah-A build. My so-called Bart-A [see attached] will be as close as I can come (to what you probably have) with the realities of the display. I will be going with the straight hatch pulls.

I have been unable to find a two-tone strap. If one doesn't materialize, I'll settle for all-black leather.

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Bart A.jpg
    Bart A.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 57
Gregatron:

Thanx for the feedback.

At aged 12, I started watching TOS when first broadcast, but I'm relatively new to the whole prop community and am learning as I go. One thing that is apparent is that there is a lot of Inside Baseball going on which I try to avoid and do my best to find the most accurate information extant. I hate when Mum and Dad argue.

"Shoulda," woulda...let's not got down that road—it leads only to sadness. I could curl your hair with tales of long-lost musical equipment, but I digress. "TREKME/Jayeff kit," Gracie...? I'm still learning the lingo—to what do you refer? I've seen John's opinion on the jewelarama situation but I have sourced one that pretty much fits the usual moiré ring and comes from an actual 60's-vintage broach. Whether or not Chang used one exactly like it, the bill should be filled.

Speaking of Long, I do hope that he comes out with his kit. I own neither his previous phaser or communicator, but I've heard good things and they certainly seem authentic when built properly.

Neither of my current tricorder builds will be 100% authentic as I will be using Bart Braun's ElectroForge Tricorder Simulator Faceplate (V2) where the display geometry had to be "reimagined" to accommodate the LCD he uses according to Hobson's choice. We have made an effort to secure period watch crowns and Windsor "fabric."

Herocomm was one of my first online references when I started researching the phaser and communicator that I purchased in the 70s when I finally had the money. They referred me to Anthony Russo's Thecopycats.org site where I discovered that they were from Mike D.'s Starfleet Fabrication where we probably shared Dealers Rooms Back-in-the-Day. It was only quite a while after gobbling down everything I could at Herocomm and they went ****-up that I was even aware that there was some question as to their research methodology.

I would very much like to see your TMOST/Wah-A build. My so-called Bart-A [see attached] will be as close as I can come (to what you probably have) with the realities of the display. I will be going with the straight hatch pulls.

I have been unable to find a two-tone strap. If one doesn't materialize, I'll settle for all-black leather.

Best. Mike.

The tricorder kit I have was produced by Trek Prop Zone members TREKME and Jayeff, some years ago. Highly accurate, very cool. Love it.

And Mr. Long, never one to admit failure, was a vocal critic of HeroComm and their discovery of the Alpha comm/Spock hero, despite overwhelming evidence of its authenticity. I'm reasonably sure he was just jealous that they got there first, and stole the thunder away from his referencing the Zeta and Epsilon comms for his own kit. And, of course, the Alpha comm and HeroComm were consulted for the Wand replica, not him.

Me, I say we should all get along and enjoy the hobby, but that's probably just crazy talk.

I was enjoying the Trek Prop Enthusiasts group until I got jumped for being critical of NuTREK, and then Long started popping in to endlessly toot his horn. No, thanks.

When building the jewelarama, did you get the reflective disk portion from the standard pieces of vintage jewelry available, like the cat?

Attachments

• il_794xN.4268899237_g2sr.jpg
    il_794xN.4268899237_g2sr.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 48
The tricorder kit I have was produced by Trek Prop Zone members TREKME and Jayeff, some years ago. Highly accurate, very cool. Love it.

And Mr. Long, never one to admit failure, was a vocal critic of HeroComm and their discovery of the Alpha comm/Spock hero, despite overwhelming evidence of its authenticity. I'm reasonably sure he was just jealous that they got there first, and stole the thunder away from his referencing the Zeta and Epsilon comms for his own kit. And, of course, the Alpha comm and HeroComm were consulted for the Wand replica, not him.

Me, I say we should all get along and enjoy the hobby, but that's probably just crazy talk.

I was enjoying the Trek Prop Enthusiasts group until I got jumped for being critical of NuTREK, and then Long started popping in to endlessly toot his horn. No, thanks.
Gregatron:

When building the jewelarama, did you get the reflective disk portion from the standard pieces of vintage jewelry available, like the cat?
Bill313:

(There's a good chance that I'm working the whole +Quote thing incorrectly.) This is what I got and from where. Looks familiar, right?

Best. Mike.

Attachments

• Jewelarama in Ring.jpg
    Jewelarama in Ring.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Jewelarama.jpeg
    Jewelarama.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the kind words on our tricorder Gregatron. I remember your build thread. I think you were one of the few persons who bought it and actually built it. Which was no small task because it was never intended to be a ready to assemble "kit". I always referred to it has a "collection of parts". You did a great job. I've seen Lost in Treks collection in person and it's beautiful.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back