Loosetoon's Crazy Ghostbusters Belt Gizmos

loosetoon

Hey, everyone. Here's my own personal take on a Ghostbusters Belt Gizmo. I made 2 of them last summer, one for me and one for the wife.

I used this tutorial as a guideline:

http://www.tk2441.co.uk/gb-belt.htm

And this PDF with the reproductions of the circuit board and chips and things:

http://www.jairuswhitley.com/files/beltcircuit.pdf

I got my tape holders at Lowe's. Home Depot doesn't sell them. They are $5 or $6 bucks each. You have to cut off the strap and a bit of the bottom small straps, then dye them black. It looks like this:

digimarc.ms

And my completed dyed version. I added a snap on the front for a bit more accuracy.

TapeHolderDone01.jpg

My homemade nixies are made from pieces of the 1/2" leg tubing from the suit, cut to just under an inch each. I got small black buttons to cap them with from JoAnns and I made a simulated number face to stick inside. They are a bit wider than proper nixies so my overall board is a bit wide and is a tight fit into the tape holder. I built the board and the nixie platform all out of sheet styrene and used styrene tubes for the round caps the nixies fit into. (I imagine it's probably easier just to get some real nixies from eBay. But this was more fun.)

I also added some various electronic doo dads from an old calculator I picked up from a thrift store.

MyCircuitBoard.jpg

MyCircuitBoardCU2.jpg

StyreneTube02.jpg

I still have to trim the wires off the back and glue them down in this shot:

MyCircuitBoardwNixies.jpg

Here's a CU of the completed fake nixie:
MyNixieCU.jpg

I originally was going to go with these applicator things I found at Hobbytown but they are too soft and not clear. I still used them though to cap the bottoms. I cut off the tops, I poked holes through them and fed the wires through.

Applicators.jpg

And here's my nixie digital interiors:

NixieDigitalInterior.jpg

The wires are called Loopy Cord that I got from JoAnns. It's lanyard cord, lots of different colors although not the exact correct colors.

The gold wire for under the white board chips I got at Joanns in the jewelry department. (I thought I had a few left over but I can't find them to take a photo.) The wire is about 2" long and comes in packs of 20 so you need 2 packs for 1 gizmo. They look like long skinny nails.

I bought the capacitors from Radio Shack. And the black phone cord is from an old phone from a thrift store. The daughter board is the board I removed from my MT500 radio.

And here's the finished product!:

LizGizmo_Done03.jpg

LizGizmo_Done02.jpg

LizGizmo_Done01.jpg

Thanks, guys! It was a lot of fun just making things up as I went along. I still can't believe that just cutting 1 inch bits from my leg hose would have worked so well!

I always like to see the way different fans create the belt gizmo since there are different variations used in the movie. Some screen used gizmos have up to 11 nixies.

Great Job by the way, very creative with the nixie idea.

Nixies are cheap? Never seen one of those . . .

I love it Loosetoon!! i'm pretty surprised you're not showing off your latest puppet here too ;)

I just finished this stunt board for a customer who wanted his to be a close match to his old one.

2004-old-versus-new.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back