Looks like the next Dark Tower book is a go

I figure as much as they try, they'll never fit it all onto film, so if it doesn't make it, no big loss. No movie ends up putting in everything from the book it's based on.

Not that I want them to make a series/film of it. :unsure

The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower 4.5) is out tomorrow and getting rave reviews! All the reviews I've read have completely calmed my doubts and fears. Can't wait to go back to Mid-World tomorrow afternoon!

Agh....no no, a thousand times no. The series was absolutely defining for me until they set out aboard Blaine. Man that ending was awesome, but the opening of the next book just swept that all aside as King obviously changed his mind. Each successive book after that got worse and worse, until finally....the INCIDENT. I'm of course referring to the "it was all a dream" horse**** of The Dark Tower. No going back from there.

The first three were sublime, suspenseful, beautifully written in a facinating world. King really shat the bed in the last two books though as they spiralled down into his usual dreck and overtly gory nonsense. Massive oppotunities wasted in the last half of the series too as he set up intriguing ideas, cross-overs and threats, and then just pissed them away.

I'll gladly read this one but even though it has been years since he wrapped up the series I'm still angry about how he ended it. LOL. I cried three times during the last book and was so pissed at how it ended that my wife refuses to start the series, and she loves Stephen King! Anytime someone brings up those books she kinda goes "Don't do it!" as she knows Im going to get mad again. :lol

I don't know but I am willing to give it a read!

The consensus is that, since it's basically Roland sitting down telling a fairy tale from his childhood, you don't even need to have read the other books to enjoy it. And if you like, you can more or less ignore it without books 1-7 being impacted at all, much like you could ignore the comics or Eluria story without 1-7 suffering for it.

I have an extra copy of the audiobook read by Uncle Stevie himself if anyone wants it. I ship everything from work, so this offer is for U.S. members only. Apologies to the rest.

I purchased The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger the day it came out and I reread all the books every time a new installment came out. The series has had its ups and downs (just like life) and none of the latter books quite reached the brilliance of the first three but I still enjoyed them. I am looking forward to reading the new one.

I will probably ignore it! :lol

I don't know, I hope Steve has not been hanging out with George to much ;)

The consensus is that, since it's basically Roland sitting down telling a fairy tale from his childhood, you don't even need to have read the other books to enjoy it. And if you like, you can more or less ignore it without books 1-7 being impacted at all, much like you could ignore the comics or Eluria story without 1-7 suffering for it.

Big DT fan here. I picked up Wind Through the Keyhole the other day and just started reading it. I'm really enjoying it. Its like catching up with old friends you haven't seen in forever. This book took me right back to Mid World like I'd never even left.

I wasn't really expecting to, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. And it's not one of his eight hundred plus page behemoths.

Ugh...okay, around a hundred pages in (poop has hit the fan in Denbaria at the ranch) and am convinced I was right about where King screwed up with this series. Roland's Ka-Tet should never NEVER have gotten anywhere NEAR the damn Tower, that's when it all went wrong - when suddenly there was the pressure of having the group almost there. This whole series was about the impossible, doomed quest through a broken and dying world-moved-on. He had no clue what to do once he decided that Scoob and the gang were actually going to get there, and bungled it badly. Which brings me to WttK.

THIS is the Dark Tower! This is the world and the slightly laconic style of storytelling that makes the series special! All King had to do was take the pressure off the story of being so close to the Tower, put Roland's gunslingers back on the path of the beam, and the magic is back. In short, great book and goes a bit of the way to making up for the bad tast 6 and 7 left in my mouth. And we all say thankee.

I really does fit just where it needs to. All the little hints and references were done magnificently while it told it's own excellent little story. The whole 'levels of the Tower' are always interesting. Loved it, and for $16 I can't complain.

What I would kill for is a novelization of the Fall of Gilead and the Battle for Jericho Hill. Comics and graphic novels just aren't my thing.

Just finished this one and LOVED it! A great tale within a tale (and another tale within that!). Didn't affect the main story at all, but as someone else said, it was GREAT to be back in midworld!

BUT, even more interestingly than that is the first chapter of "Dr. Sleep" the sequel to the Shining! I am SUPER excited to read this one and can't wait for it to come out!

In my opinion, King has a lull for quite a while, but his last several offerings have been truly awesome and I am really enjoying his work again!

So, I just saw this on io9 a little bit ago:

The Dark Tower
Ron Howard is reportedly still trying to get his massively ambitious adaptation of Stephen King's novel series off the ground, even though original backers Universal dropped the project and it was only with a slashed budget that Warner Bros. ended up taking it on, with HBO mooted as a possible home for the tie-in miniseries. Frequent Howard collaborator Akiva Goldsman is reportedly close to delivering a new script for the first movie, and the latest casting news is that Javier Bardem is no long attached to play the gunslinger Roland Deschain. Now, the project is being reconceived as a starring vehicle for Russell Crowe, who has kind of quietly become a big deal again what with his upcoming appearances as Jor-El in Man of Steel and the title character in Darren Aronofsky's epic Noah. Crowe isn't yet close to signing on, however, and this project still seems way too doomed to get all that worried about casting news until we see something a bit more concrete.

All I can say is.... *deep breath* No, no no no nonoNononononononono! I like Russell Crowe and think he's a fine actor, but he is NOT Roland! *stamps foot in adamant fangirl rage*

GRR!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back