Looks like the next Dark Tower book is a go

cayman shen

Master Member
‘The Dark Tower’ Expands Its Already Massive Story With A New Novel From Stephen King » MTV Movies Blog

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm a huge Dark Tower fan (for life, I guess, since I got a DT tattoo), and I would chew my arm off to be back in Mid-world for a few evenings, but of course every new installment is one more chance to screw it up. Fans are already divided about books 5-7 (not this fan--I love 'em!) so I'd hate to see book 8 become King's Phantom Menace. Thank god it's not a flat out sequel.

I am with you Brotha. Looking forward to this, and I highly doubt King will let the series slip to Phantom Menance depths.

Yeah, I hope not. In my opinion, he's never quite reclaimed his coked-up 80s glory days, but after a low point around the Bag of Bones era, I feel like he's more or less picked up again. I enjoyed Full Dark, No Stars and Under the Dome a great deal. The man's still got it, when he can be bothered.

Hrm. Put me in the cautious category. I love the Dark Tower universe fiercely, but I'm not sure that I'm okay with this. I don't really think we need to know every little thing they did on the road to the tower. I think what we DID see is fantastic.

I wish i could get into his stuff as I really enjoy The Stand but everything else is like slow torture reading to me.

Just got Under the Dome from Half Price for $10 a few days ago and Eyes of the Dragon for $5 so I'm on a King kick lately. Reread Salem's Lot last week to get the Twilight taste out of my mouth.

Heard about this as rumor about half a year ago. It seems like all that graphic novel side story stuff meant we'd get this as a pretty good shot. Here's hoping it's a great one!

Actually the only book that really dragged on for me was Wolves of the Calla. I've seen like 4 other Seven Samurai remakes but it went on and on. Some really good stuff in there but there seemed to be a lot of pages where near nothing even semi-important was happening. There were also some really painful parts in Roland's flashback in Wizard and Glass. Mostly because I hate teen romance novels and he just had to stick that in there as part of the genre mash. In fact he did it too well.:lol

Wizard and Glass is by far my least favorite for the same reason, though reading the comic adaptation gave me a new appreciation of it. Firesprite, I'm with you--do we need every little detail? And if so, aren't the comics doing a pretty nice job with that? If it was anyone else but King, I'd call this a callous cash grab, but I believe him when he said he had an idea and genuinely wanted to write it, so if it comes from pure motives, hopefully that artistic vision will show through.

Right now I think of it as "Little Sisters of Eluria": part of the canon, but not an essential part. Outside the main story enough that it shouldn't spoil things for me if I don't like it (I liked Eluria fine btw).

The anal retentive part of me is wondering how the spine will look on my shelf :lol Will it be numbered 4.5? Something artistically King-like (The Dark Tower: Wind Through the Keyhole (an Interlude)? Not that any of my editions match. I have matching copies of 1 and 4 (the versions released with the revised Gunslinger), 5-7 are the matching first editions, but 2 and 3 don't match at all (also first editions).

It's hard having low-grade OCD!

Still, I've been reading these books now for what seems like my whole life (I think I was 14 when I first read the Gunslinger? Maybe younger? So for 21 years. Wow), and it'll be a great joy to curl up with another for a few nights. King has rarely let me down.

images

Just ignore people who dont like your posts. There are a few trolls on here. Anyway, I am HOPING this book will be better than the final couple of books. Not to gripe, but the Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah were just.... well, they weren't my favorite.

But maybe it will be exciting like the Drawing of the Three or Wizard and Glass!

I am alright with it (I love the heck out of all things DT) but am very curious how it will fit in with the movie/TV plans? Will they add it in or keep it out since it is gonna be so late in the game?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back