Life of a CC X-Wing *UPDATE* FEB 5th SATURDAY NEW PICS!!!

Yeah liquid latex works as a barrier just as well, I've used it for this exact purpose before.

Looking good JDH!!! Makes me want to pull my kit out and start working on it as well....if only I didn't have soooooo many other pieces on the workbench already, hehehe!!

I've heard many people recommend liquid latex for different things, but I've been unable to find it at any of my local craft stores. Do you guys recommend a certain brand and/or know where I could pick some up?

Sean

I use some Mountains in Minutes brand liquid latex. I got it at a Model Railroad shop in their terrain section. But this brand is just as good...

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/785-1204

c1204b.jpg

Basically, just brush it onto whatever surface you want to protect from the paint/overcoat/etc and let it dry. Then go to town painting over it! Once you're done painting then just go in and either lightly rub it it off, or if it's a delicate area I've used tweezers to pull it up. The one thing to remember with the latex is that whatever you're putting it on top of has to be fully sealed first otherwise it might lift the paint as well. Also an even coverage works well, lessening the possibilty of thin spots or holes where the paint you're trying to block might get through. The latex I use starts out a milky blue then dries transparent blue so one can tell where it is and isn't pretty easily....

Hehehe sorry to hijack there JDH.... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

New Pictures posted today 1-25-05

Added the yellow striping on the top and bottom of the fuselage and the starboard gray marking.

fusemarksstarb2.jpg

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>May I ask what paints (brand and colors) you're using for the different markings, JDH? </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Fuselage & Wings
Testors Model Master Acryllics - Camo Gray

Tamiya Acryllic - Flat Red
Tamiya Acryllic - Flat Yellow
Tamiya Acryllic - Light Gray

R2 D2
Testors Model Master Acryllics - Flat White

Tamiya Acryllic - Chrome Silver
Tamiya Acryllic - Metallic Blue

Cockpit
Testors Model Master Acryllics - Different Shades of Grays, Black etc...

I'm not JDH but if I may I'll try to answer the "Why acrylics?" question.

I use almost exclusively acrylics for one main reason... ease of cleanup. Now there are other reasons... no harmful fumes, wide range of color choices without having to mix paints, etc... but the main one is cleanup. I can shoot a particular color through the airbrush, then flush the system with a quick rinse, and then start shooting another color within a minute or so.
It also helps that I got two full display racks of acrylics from my store when we moved to another storefront....the bigwigs said to just order new ones in so I wasn't going to let the paint go to waste...
icon_wink.gif

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>one main reason... ease of cleanup</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

That is the main reason right there. I can shoot indoors if needed, and I can switch colors really fast. I absolutely LOVE Tamiya paints.

I mainly shoot them straight with maybe a drop of thinner to break surface tension and being in Texas, the weather is 99.9% of the time totally perfect for Airbrushing.

So I guess it is just an ease of use thing, either that or I am a really lazy painter and don't want to spend days waiting for enamels to totally dry
icon_wink.gif

JDH

Didn't want to go with the Caboose Red...?

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Jades Dark Heart wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>May I ask what paints (brand and colors) you're using for the different markings, JDH? </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuselage & Wings
Testors Model Master Acryllics - Camo Gray

Tamiya Acryllic - Flat Red
Tamiya Acryllic - Flat Yellow
Tamiya Acryllic - Light Gray

R2 D2
Testors Model Master Acryllics - Flat White

Tamiya Acryllic - Chrome Silver
Tamiya Acryllic - Metallic Blue

Cockpit
Testors Model Master Acryllics - Different Shades of Grays, Black etc...

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Didn't want to go with the Caboose Red...? </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I went with base colors so that they are very fresh and alive looking. Even with the chipped paint they are very bright. I am going to use the weathering to get the worn colors of the darker reds and yellows.

There is a method to my madness
icon_smile.gif

JDH

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back