Andre the Giant has a Pipboy! Build thread w/pics

Hypercats

Hey, I've been a fan of therpf.com for a while now, I mostly lurk, but I thought I'd share a project I did for a party I went to in Feb: A built-from-scratch Pipboy 3000:

DSC01078.jpg

The total build time from gathering artwork and making templates to finished piece was about three weeks, but it was only like 40-50 hours of that since I work full time and had other stuff going on.

The wife and I have been wanting some good Pipboys to play around with for a while now, and unfortunately the Official Limited Edition one offered with Fallout 3 was made with a flimsy plastic and not worth the $100-300 people are currently asking for it. Skruffy made some great copies of that one, but his run was over by the time I found about about it, and there were things I didn't like on the official one anyway. I made this one with parts and urethane mold rubber I had laying around the house. I have a list of about 15 things I want to change on the next one I build, which I'm working on now, but for a Saturday night costume party, this one was more than good enough. On to the build pics!

IMG00038-20110108-2357.jpg

Hope I don't break any tables here, sorry if the pics are too big!

I started out with a PVC coupler and some good ol' polystyrene. I used a mix of PVC sheets and Sintra for the flat bits since it machines well with a Dremel. The nice thing about the Pipboy is that they're supposed to look old, beat up, worn, and damaged, so I really didn't have to worry about 500 grit sanded, high detail precision on this project.

IMG00040-20110111-0847.jpg

More parts added! The PVC coupler/reducer was stretched to the length I needed by cutting it in half and using part of a QuikTrip cup as a spacer. The rest of it was used for the square "fins" on the left side of the Pipboy. Also added the clamp/strap, dial, and dial plate. The dial wheel is the plastic top from a Pepsi bottle. It's okay, but I've had problems with Smooth Cast and air bubbles in tiny little places like that, so I'm replacing it with a gear with wider teeth on the next one I do. Funny story, I used to live a couple blocks away from a QuikTrip when I lived in Des Moines, and every time I went to get a big gulp style drink, I'd get a new cup. I stockpiled about 75 of these things and like to use them in various projects. Hooray for cheap plastic containers!

IMG00047-20110116-1658.jpg

More details added! Polystyrene screen (it was easier and faster to shape than MDF but I ran into a huge problem later) and Sintra screen shroud added, and I put a coat of black acrylic on the polystyrene so show me where I needed more sanding. If you look closely, you'll notice two Stanley 99E Classics in this photo! My most used tool!

IMG00048-20110118-1112.jpg

More PVC sheet, Sintra, and polystyrene details added, and a mockup of the ribbed center piece (the white part in the pic) was fitted. I was hoping to use the router to cut the slots in a piece of PVC sheet and then use a heat gun to bend it to the curve needed as in the picture, but it would heat unevenly and warp/shrink and after 4 attempts I couldn't get one to come out clean enough. The blue pieces are pen caps I altered. Also, the white/black parts are some the templates I used.

I really can't stress enough, if you're going to build something completely from scratch, learn Adobe Illustrator, use it to take all your measurements, and print out scaled templates to trace/cut/follow! This way you're essentially assembling a kit that you designed, and it takes 90% of the guesswork out of assembly and parts fabrication. The 10% of guesswork comes from doing dumb things, like gluing the main control panel of the Pipboy to the PVC cylinder at an off-kilter angle because it's not tapered like the original, which ended up throwing off a lot of my measurements.

pipboy_3000_build_007_by_meowymeowmeow-d37mof6.jpg

Soooooo I guess I didn't take any progress pictures of the back? The upper right photo is the detail on the back, and here I added polystyrene, Sintra, wood filler, and adhesive Foamies Craft Foam (polyethylene?) I coated the whole thing in a couple layers of auto primer so I could see where I needed to sand or fill more.

I also made a horrible mistake with the screen. When I was a Design student, I was taught you seal polystyrene with acrylic paint so you can apply rattle can spraypaints or clear coat or whatever overtop of it without having the acetone melt your polystyrene. Your paint still eats through the acrylic layer? Should have used more acrylic paint. I have NEVER gotten this to work and later found that latex paint is a much better one-coat sealant, but it doesn't sand as nicely as acrylic and for some reason I thought I'd be able to seal the polystyrene screen with acrylic paint well enough to put a few layers of clear coat on it to give the surface a REALLY smooth surface. Turns out the screen wasn't sealed enough and the clear coat got under the acrylic and started eating up the polystyrene. Frowny face.

IMG00049-20110124-0037.jpg

Started with the back half when making molds. The Smooth On urethanes I had were over a year and a half old, some were opened and were getting kind of skeezy. I wasn't sure if the urethane rubber would cure, or if there were going to be too many air bubbles, but I combined some old, opened Part A Brush On with some new Part B PMC 121/30 Dry (it's the exact same Part B for both) and made it work. Mother mold was Plaster O'Paris and burlap (still my favorite, it's very cheap and very quick).

FUUUUUUUUU-2.jpg

First pull from the molds. I put a couple layers of primer in the mold before pouring in the Smooth Cast 300 so I'd get a good protective surface. For the life of me, I've never been able to get paint to stick to Smooth On resins without either flaking off, orange peel-ing, or fisheye-ing. There was a tech bulletin on Smooth On's website a few years ago where they basically said "Yeah, we know. Paint don't stick. Use auto primer or Bulldog first". Anyway, the molds held up enough for this one pull (it's four pics of the same two halves, not two pulls from two molds) and it was time to get to painting and cleaning. Or cleaning and painting.

pipboy_3000_build_010_by_meowymeowmeow-d385tcb.jpg

First layer of paint to be put down over the primer (and yes, I did try to scrub it down with degreasing soap first. Not a fan of washing parts with acetone because it has a tendency to also take the primer with it) was one of the colors I use on just about every prop I do: Rustoleum Metallic Charcoal AKA "cheap gunmetal in a rattle can". And hey, what a suprise! Multiple light passes from 10-14 inches still produces the orange peel effect that I didn't want. I'm starting to think it's not my lack of part cleaning, or Smooth On urethane resin's hatred of paints, but maybe that I'm not sanding enough? Maybe it's particulate on the surface that the paint is avoiding or globbing around? Anyway F YOU RUSTOLEUM, orange peel texture is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT HERE! I just didn't know it until I started putting the OD Green on. :D

DSC00953.jpg

So the fun thing about that coat of Rustoleum I put on was that now I had a great "pitted" surface to work with. I don't think I could have gotten the silver drybrush detail without there being high and low points on the smooth surfaces. I put a light coat of OD Green on the whole thing (save for the darkest recesses and deepest cracks) and started drybrushing a LOT of silver on.

If you're familiar with the Fallout universe, you'd understand that 1) these things when brand new would have been military/govt issue, hence the OD Green (which is also visible in the game) and 2) Your character is wearing one that is what, 100 years old? if it didn't look beat up when he got it, it would have been weathered heavily wandering the dusty, sandy wastelands. There's not much paint left, there's probably some rust, and a lot of little scratches, dents, scars, etc.

DSC00960.jpg

Sorry for the photo's color shift here, I took some more pictures under different/better lighting.

I added some rust color to a bunch of spots, and put some "decals" on. I printed out a screenshot from the game, and cut out the radiation meter, the barely visible "Pip-Boy", "Model 3000" and the "Stats Item Data" section above the lights/buttons. Illustator! It's good for making templates AND your own decals! I did these on regular printer paper and applied them with Super 77, but if you're going to make your own decals and don't want to pay for Testors Printable Decal Sheets, use a high gloss paper or photo paper, and seal it with a layer of clear coat. The ink soaks into regular printer paper, and sealing it just makes it fade more. However with a glossy paper, the ink stays on the surface, and a layer of clear coat really makes the colors pop. But whatever, by this time I was painting and repainting the Friday night and Saturday morning of the Saturday night party, so I couldn't be as precise as I would have liked. As far as the screen, well that was an acetone fueled nightmare, but it was my own fault for rushing. You'll notice the resin pulls from the mold have a bumpy, bubbled screen and I didnt' have time to go over it with filler, sand, re fill, re sand, etc. so I put a coat of a dark metallic black down to make it look like it was turned off, and also to hide the imperfections in the screen. My wife said "you went through all that trouble to make a Pipboy and you're not going to have the screen lit up?" So I decided to make a quick screenshot decal of a status screen to glue in the center of the screen. Unfortunately, the Super 77 has acetone in it which dissolved the paint layer that was already on the screen an made a goopy mess with a "screen shot decal" on it. It looked terrible, so I scraped most of that off and tried applying a bright green nail polish that was a similar color to the in-game model's screen. The theory was that 1)nail polish drys fast and I only have 3 hours left to finish this thing, 2) nail polish goes on thick and is kind of self leveling so it will fill in some of the blemishes on the resin screen's surface, 3) I really don't have any other colors of green in the house that I like. So I started putting on the nail polish and noticed that when I brushed it on green, it was leaving streaks of black in the brush strokes. Whoops, nail polish also has a solvent in it, and it was picking up whatever glue and paint was left on the screen, dissolving it, and mixing it into the nail polish. So I had to scrap that idea. Strangely enough, we had this lovely green latex house paint left over from something (that's one of the great things about living with an amateur theater producer) so I put a couple coats of that on and called it a day.

You can see more/larger/different pictures of the final piece and some additional build pics here if you're interested:
Pipboy 3000 Build by meowymeowmeow on deviantART

I'll update this thread with build progress from Version II which will be a mold of the two main halves and another mold of most of the little bits cast separately since I hate air bubbles in my resin as well as a larger screen shroud size to fit my brother's Zune.

The paint job is just lovely on that surface! You're right that the lumps and bumps allow for a much more consistent weathering over the entire prop and the silver accents are good too. What I find difficult about adding the silver is where to put it, which requires you to start giving the prop a history and life story. On yours for example, it is one hundred years old, but attempts have been made to keep it clean so was probably rubbed or scrubbed at over years which will take away finish on more areas than just those that would touch the table when put down.

As for the orange-peeling of paint, I have heard of various methods to decrease the effect by warming the paint either in a pillow case with a hairdryer or wrapped in a plastic bag and dunked in some hot water. I believe heating it up helps the solvent and the solute (the paint pigment) mix better and thus when sprayed, you get an even coat. Orange-peeling is inevitable from what I've heard and requires wet sanding after every coat and then buffed and polished for a smooth automotive finish.

Yeah I bet you're right about the heating of paint. My workshops are usually in the garage or basement, and I work on projects in the winter and my rattle can storage is usually someplace cold. I will have to try warming up the cans, thanks!

Also, I like that portal gun in your avatar pic!

IMO, it looked alot better with the black screen before you painted it green.

I agree, it was a nice dark metallic, similar to a CRT when it's turned off. The bar we were at for the party was very dark and the green showed up nicely though. And then a guy put a Shepard Fairey sticker on it and make the nasty screen a little better!

Version 2 update time!

I've made a list of things I want to change or update before I make new molds. I don't like air bubbles in my resin, so I'm going to do everything I can to make the main Pipboy low-detail body in two halves, with a third one-part mold for the smaller detailed pieces. That way, if there's problems with the smaller details, I can throw out the parts and recast new ones without having to cast a whole new Pipboy. There's nothing worse than pulling a piece from a mold, only to find that all the Phillips head screws didn't cast right and have huge air bubbles in the center of them!

cut-it-n-gut-it001.jpg

Cut it n gut it! I tried a couple different things for the dial wheel and wasn't happy with the outcome, so currently I'm playing around with small gears with wide teeth. This one in the photo is 1/4" thick and costs a whole .50 from allelectronics.com. If I leave the slot where it goes open, later Pipboy mods can use a gear or wheel there and have it turn.

I removed the dial switch and plate in the lower right and the radiation meter in the upper right. These will be cast separately so I can have a working switch there later.

The radiation meter was removed and will be cast separately.

The channels/vents on the left side will be cut down and reworked.

The screen and shroud have been removed and will be recast as separate pieces. I also noticed that there's a notch in top center of the shroud that I should probably add. The screen will have a couple options: solid resin cast "4:3 CRT" style solid resin either colored or clear (I have some ideas for decals recessed in clear resin), or no screen for modding (I have LCD screens I want to try :D)

Screws will be resin cast heads. Chamfered spots will be added to screw locations on the pipboy body.

Some more progress! Got the little details the way I want them. They're not attached, just placed where they'll go for the pic:

DSC01088.jpg

The long piece of sintra sticking out of the left side is the piece I'll be cutting to fit on the left and right side. Cut the channels with a 1/64th inch drill bit in the Dremel router table. I'll probably cast the groove/channel parts separately since there a great hiding spot for air bubbles.

Very nice, I wonder if there will be a kit since the others were are not being produced anymore and are too big for my arm anyway.

Very nice, I wonder if there will be a kit since the others were are not being produced anymore and are too big for my arm anyway.

Fantastic! :thumbsup

Are you going to build in any electronics besides the zune?

Yeah that's kind of the whole plan. I made the first one and it had some air bubbles and things that I wanted to change. A bunch of my friends said "cool, I want one!" and I didn't feel like trying to pull 10 Pipboys from these molds and have to fix the problem spots 10 times and then mod each one. I have some friends who would be happy with just the base Pipboy, no electronics, solid resin screen. But I also have a friend who works at Blizzard's Austin office so I'd like to trick out the one I give him. My brother works at Best Buy's corporate hq in MN, and he has a zune, so the one I make for him needs to fit his zune. I want to try putting a vehicle "back up camera monitor" in one for my wife and maybe one of those namco/atari/sega 20 game emulator joysticks. The more modular I make this Pipboy "kit", the easier it will be to swap out parts if I find something better I like or want to add working parts. I enjoy the parts design and industrial engineering aspects of making mass production efficient as much as prop making!

Also, I added a little twist-on LED light to the finished Pipboy I wore in Jan:
DSC00959.jpg

Cheap and effective. Not very visible in well lit areas, but great for a party at a dark bar.

Cool, I wanted one without a screen so if I get an Ipod touch I could put it in there.

But I'd defiantly be down for one once you get everything worked out.

I love the aged look to it and i agree while the one that i got as part of the deluxe edition is nice it's lacking plus at the price I paid (130 or so) most people would be afraid to cut into it to put a ipod in it. I never thought of using a Zune, they're certainly more affordable than an Ipod just to use in one of these. I was thinking with a little work you could probably also fit a small MP3 player in there or a recordable card chip so the geiger counter will make noise. Sadly i can't think of any real geigers small enough to fit in there BUT i saw a small dosimeter disk that could.

Hmmm, I think the Ipod has an ap to make the noise just like you can convert your ipod into the whole pip boy, it's really interesting.

I love the aged look to it and i agree while the one that i got as part of the deluxe edition is nice it's lacking plus at the price I paid (130 or so) most people would be afraid to cut into it to put a ipod in it. I never thought of using a Zune, they're certainly more affordable than an Ipod just to use in one of these. I was thinking with a little work you could probably also fit a small MP3 player in there or a recordable card chip so the geiger counter will make noise. Sadly i can't think of any real geigers small enough to fit in there BUT i saw a small dosimeter disk that could.

There are plenty of things you could put in it for a video type display: mp3 players, smart phones, digital photo frames, back-up camera screns, the screen from a rear view mirror display, maybe a Garmin GPS? I reworked the decal for the rad meter, so I can at least print out a better decal and have it backlit.
rad-meter-decal.png

Hmmm, I think the Ipod has an ap to make the noise just like you can convert your ipod into the whole pip boy, it's really interesting.

Was it this? PipClock - Post Apocalyptic iPhone ? Home

Bethesda released an official Pipboy theme for Blackberry and iPhone when Fallout 3 came out, but I don't know if it's compatible with the newest iPhone OS. My brother and I have Blackberry phones, and mine isn't compatible with the Pipboy theme, but his is. Apparently it only works on some models.

/\ No, it's a hack for the Ipod touch to make it a pipboy, with preset stuff, but all of the things the pipboy has, and recordings of all the radio channels and audio logs, etc.

New part I ordered came in the mail today. Thanks, Office Depot!
DSC01092.jpg

Small details to be cut out and added where they're supposed to go. I 'm going to make a mold of this original piece, and then resin cast copies of it so I can sand them down and put them where they go. Unfortunately, that means 2 more opportunities for air bubbles to mess things up, but hey, that's why you make parts modular. If I screw up the mold for this with air bubbles, I can make a new one. If I screw up any resin pulls from the molds with air bubbles, I can pour more resin. Now to see if my vacuum chamber can pull more than 24in Hg. It's got a leak somewhere. :(

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back