Lets see your Marty McFly costumes!

Thanks man! Yeah, the denim is factory phresh! And we don’t have any upcoming cons for the moment unfortunately, but I did make my wife take pictures of me the other day. :lol View attachment 805429Not much of a Marty lookalike, though. haha

You still rock the look dude. That jacket with the real Class 5 is great in natural light. Question: would you say the lighter part on your jacket is a light grey or a very pale stonewashed blue?

Thanks dude! The grey is definitely either bleached or stonewashed. I’d say the original color was probably a dark blue. I’ll take some good closeup photos when I get home :thumbsup And I just picked up an original 2” guitar pin that I’ll post pics of later. :) Any idea on tracking down the Art In Revolution pin, by chance?

Thanks dude! The grey is definitely either bleached or stonewashed. I’d say the original color was probably a dark blue. I’ll take some good closeup photos when I get home :thumbsup And I just picked up an original 2” guitar pin that I’ll post pics of later. :) Any idea on tracking down the Art In Revolution pin, by chance?

Excellent! The more photos we have of the color schemes of these jackets, the closer the myth of "is it dark grey or light stonewash" gets to being resolved lol. And great find on the pin! Here are a few links for the Art in Revolution pin that tend to cross my search feeds:

Just the Art pin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marty-McFl...671761?hash=item441a19c1d1:g:qiQAAOSwKnVZtEjd

Max Cady's replica pin set (including a spare pick pin): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-Acc...hash=item2f0bd72150:m:mKGFzzph4o3A8FrbENUOduQ

And a cheaper ETSY option: https://www.etsy.com/listing/214066821/art-in-revolution-back-to-the-future-1

Last edited:
Thanks man! Good lookin out! Didn’t the original Art pin company bring them back for a while, too? Are those pretty hard to come by? Or dare I even ask about true vintage ones?

Anyway, onto mythology!

Now keep in mind that my jacket is authentic Guess, and I’m in the camp of belief that the OG was a knockoff. With that, it sure looks like the OG knockoff manufacturer had closely studied Guess jackets, (combining the two specific styles) but I couldn’t say whether or not the denim on the OG knockoff was identical to authentic Guess jackets of the same time. Not trying to muddy the waters, just establishing that the details of my jacket won’t be as defining as having an OG knockoff in hand, so grain of salt.

Pure natural light, overcast
AE3D6766-3F45-4B9C-B882-26071A19DAFB.jpeg
Combined natural and warm artificial light. And the vintage 2” brooch just waiting to get a fresh coat of paint! :)
8E9A0F99-CCD9-4D2A-A3E3-C7EF3B94098E.jpeg
Left: combined natural and warm artificial light
Right: in closet, only warm artificial light
55A23B84-D2ED-42BC-984C-86497AC146B3.jpeg
C2A13BA0-8574-42D7-81D8-E7BD83E266F0.jpeg

I would actually say that the base denim might’ve been black. (?) And further, I don’t know much about fabrics, but the two tones actually appear to be different “weaves”. Has this ever been noticed on the OG knockoff, or otherwise discussed on authentic vintage Guess?

And I didn’t mean to steer us off track, so anyone speak up if we oughtta move this conversation to keep this one tidy!

Last edited:
I've been adding to my skill set and Marty repertoire since I started cosplaying 4 years ago, and am glad to say I have made (or pieced together from thrifted items) all but one of his outfits - the Enchantment under the Sea Dance 'zoot suit'.
If you want details on or close-ups of any one of these in particular, let me know.

Most_Martys.jpg

Your Friend in Time,
Marty McFly Dallas Cosplay,
aka ElectroDFW
aka David M,
@Mcflydallas
Owner of the #KiaTimeMachine

Last edited by a moderator:
So cool!! With so many Marty’s, do you display them or throw em in the closet between cons? I always grapple with how to display an ever-expanding collection. And where’d you get your ‘55 jacket from? Such a great look and the skateboard totally sells it!

Thanks man! Good lookin out! Didn’t the original Art pin company bring them back for a while, too? Are those pretty hard to come by? Or dare I even ask about true vintage ones?

Anyway, onto mythology!

Now keep in mind that my jacket is authentic Guess, and I’m in the camp of belief that the OG was a knockoff. With that, it sure looks like the OG knockoff manufacturer had closely studied Guess jackets, (combining the two specific styles) but I couldn’t say whether or not the denim on the OG knockoff was identical to authentic Guess jackets of the same time. Not trying to muddy the waters, just establishing that the details of my jacket won’t be as defining as having an OG knockoff in hand, so grain of salt.

View attachment 805675
Combined natural and warm artificial light. And the vintage 2” brooch just waiting to get a fresh coat of paint! :)
View attachment 805674
Left: combined natural and warm artificial light
Right: in closet, only warm artificial light
View attachment 805676
View attachment 805677

I would actually say that the base denim might’ve been black. (?) And further, I don’t know much about fabrics, but the two tones actually appear to be different “weaves”. Has this ever been noticed on the OG knockoff, or otherwise discussed on authentic vintage Guess?

And I didn’t mean to steer us off track, so anyone speak up if we oughtta move this conversation to keep this one tidy!

Dude thank you so much for the pics! I think that yes, the grey fabric was either originally a dark black or perhaps a navy blue. The varied stitching is intriguing though!
And hmmm I wouldn't know about the original Art pins. I wonder if they're an easy find or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been adding to my skill set and Marty repertoire since I started cosplaying 4 years ago, and am glad to say I have made (or pieced together from thrifted items) all but one of his outfits - the Enchantment under the Sea Dance 'zoot suit'.
If you want details on or close-ups of any one of these in particular, let me know.

View attachment 806120

Your Friend in Time,
aka ElectroDFW
aka David M,
@Mcflydallas

WOW...that is an impressive collection of Marty costumes! double props for the correct Poncho and crazy "astro cowboy" looks from BTTF 3. Serious props, man! Who made the 1985 denim jacket btw?

So cool!! With so many Marty’s, do you display them or throw em in the closet between cons? I always grapple with how to display an ever-expanding collection. And where’d you get your ‘55 jacket from? Such a great look and the skateboard totally sells it!

Thank you! Yes, they go in the closet between cons.
90% of what I'm wearing in those photos I've made (or heavily modified) myself. I've also made two other 2015 jackets for friends, and another 1955 jacket for Matt Bell (New York's premier Marty McFly cosplayer.)

In Texas, wearing jackets is pretty much a masochistic act, so my 85 and 55 jacket replicas use shirts as their main base. the 2015s are usually one or the other of PVC, vinyl or pleather

Your Friend in Time,
aka ElectroDFW
aka David M,
@ mcflydallas

- - - Updated - - -

WOW...that is an impressive collection of Marty costumes! double props for the correct Poncho and crazy "astro cowboy" looks from BTTF 3. Serious props, man! Who made the 1985 denim jacket btw?[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I spend a lot of time freeze-framing every aspect of the poncho and 'Roy Rogers" outfits from part 3 as I could. I can even tell in which scenes he's wearing the serape backwards from the rest of the scenes. (Mostly the cut-to closeups.) I haven't seen anybody else get the coloring right on the teardrops, and the variation of color within the 2's and the 5's.
I made the 85 jacket myself. (Base source is a shirt, actually, because Texas. I call the amalgam a "shirket") I need to retire it though, as it's showing its age, and I've been wanting to update it's accuracy to match those that I've made for and given to my friends.

Your Friend in Time,
aka ElectroDFW
aka David M,
@ mcflydallas

It is. I contacted the head guy Miki Ooyagi and he confirmed that it is in production. The first sample will be finished and shown off at the end of the month and will be fully released in October. If you plan to buy one when it is released do it fast. They do very limited quantities of each size. I missed out on the size smalls in 2015 and had to get a medium. They are also doing another run of the vest. No updates to it are being made though as it was pretty much perfect.

It is. I contacted the head guy Miki Ooyagi and he confirmed that it is in production. The first sample will be finished and shown off at the end of the month and will be fully released in October. If you plan to buy one when it is released do it fast. They do very limited quantities of each size. I missed out on the size smalls in 2015 and had to get a medium. They are also doing another run of the vest. No updates to it are being made though as it was pretty much perfect.

Do you know what the sizing is like on these?

Do you know what the sizing is like on these?

They scaled the first jacket to a vintage Guess jacket. The cut looks alright, but not completely accurate to the movie. I think they go up to size large but im not 100% sure. Im 5'5 with an average build for my height and the medium fit a little big on me. MJF is 5'4 and it is agreed upon that he wore a size small jacket with a size medium vest.

Hey everyone! It’s been a while! I hope everyone is having a wonderful new year so far!

I’ve made some very exciting additions to my collection that I’m excited to share with you!

First I found the screen accurate Guess jeans, with every detail matching up, thanks to The Searcher’s work. Then I found a 1984 Valterra, along with vintage stickers, copers, and I added Madrid grip tape. Then I found an original vintage Art In Revolution pin that is absolutely perfect. After that, I came across a pair of pristine 1981 Bruins that I couldn’t pass up, and then I most recently found a 1984 Guess jacket that I am so totally blown away by.

I’ve decided not to dive into details about the Guess jacket on here, so I’m sorry if that’s disappointing to any of you, but I wanted to share this incredible discovery with you all. And, of course, nothing is or will become available for sale. It’s all strictly for ogling. :)

And sorry for the watermarks. I made my account when I was a teenager, and I really didn’t think it through when I was selecting my username. haha

Hope you’ve all been well, and I’m excited to share my collection with you!

Jonny

Attachments

• 7DC0E2AB-575B-4866-86E6-83DDECDA1CB7.jpeg
    7DC0E2AB-575B-4866-86E6-83DDECDA1CB7.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 509
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back