Lenses and LEDs questions

Cjames3

So I am trying to finish up a Batman armor helemt made out of foam. What do y'all lose for lenses and where can I get some LEDs that are ready to go? I know nothing about saudering and just want some "plug and go" lights.

I am waiting on the delivery of these - www.adafruit.com/products/1622.

My plan is to mount them in my helmet, leaving a small gap/slit at the base of the eye socket so I can see out.

When lit the light from the LED obscures the slit - this so sort of thing has been successfullydone by people building Ironman helmets.

For those that are interested here is my first test of the Adafruit LED diffusers.

You start with this:

1622-02.jpg

You peel off the translucent layer and the diffuser is see through !

12884377_10206187931324949_103797270_n.jpg

This allows you to simply mount them in the eye sockets of your helmet without having to fiddle around leaving a small slit at the base of the eye socket to see through. However the price you pay is that the illumination from the LED is reduced. However some reflective stick on window tint on the inner surface helps to correct this problem.

IMG_20160329_201029.jpg

That's a test of the left eye ( nothing in the right eye) using just a 3 volt button battery - it maybe a little brighter with a 9 V (and the appropriate resistor to prevent burn out).

Vision is OK but not great. With the LED off you can see adequately enough not to bump into things, there is a reduction in vision when the LED is on due to internal glare - but you really can only see in a well lit room, you are completely blind in a dark room. Total white out inside the helmet.

Hope this helps

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back