Legend of Korra - New "Last Airbender" Series

TymerDC

Sr Member
For all of you that enjoyed The Last Airbender series...a new animated series is starting on April 14th called "The Legend of Korra" theres a full episode and a few sneak peeks on Nicktoon's website here:

Legend of Korra: Welcome to Republic City* Episode Clip | Nick Videos

From what I can gathered from the previews...Korra is the next Avatar after Aang has diseased and things are more "modernized". It looks great.... my kids and I are looking forward to watching it every week.

Last edited:
I've seen the first two episodes, and it's definitely good. Feels like the original series, just with a different set of characters.

I actually liked this show and for once it was nice to have the characters voiced by people who were roughly the age of the characters instead of a 40 year old trying to sound 15.

Hell yes! I didn't realize that was an episode until I watched it. I LOVE the style and animation of this one so far. It has the same quality and care and love to the Bending fighting moves that the original had. This series may even make me forget the travesty of justice that the Shamalamadingdong movie was!

I LOVE that they show that Metal Bending has become a 'thing' with Earth Benders, and I can't wait to see what Fong does with those discs she has on the back of her armor!!!

Last edited:
... It has the same quality and care and love to the Bending fighting moves that the original had....

i have to disagree, i've also seen the first two episodes, and as a martial artist, i feel the new series has taken a definite 'dance' approach to the martial arts choreography. With the original series, you could see, the wushu, shaolin, karate and taekwondo.

With this new series, i'm seeing break dancing, parkour, MMA and some dance stylized martial arts. Clearly, the animation reference being used are dancers and 'trickers' and not traditional martial artists like the original series.

However, it seems to be a theme that Korra is adapting to the 'newer styles' of bending - as seen with the pro-bending bouts.. so i guess it's all good...

I can't wait to see what Fong does with those discs she has on the back of her armor!!!

I think the 2 discs you see on her back is really 2 pulleys that operate the cables system they use in capturing criminals, getting to high places..etc etc. .

I think the 2 discs you see on her back is really 2 pulleys that operate the cables system they use in capturing criminals, getting to high places..etc etc. .

Hrmmm.. maybe. I guess the cables do have to come from somewhere. Maybe they just roll it out as they need it like Spidey uses a mechanical webshooter, except they can retract it if they don't need to leave someone wrapped up.

It's a shame, I was thinking we'd see a Deadly Disks ala Tron with Metal Benders.

I'm really enjoying Korra, it's like a more grown up version of the Last Airbender. Watching it makes me want to create either a Pro-Bender costume or one of the metal bender police costumes.

So, who else thinks that Amon is someone we've already been introduced to? And does anyone else think that Mako's girlfriend and her father are not all they seem to be? I have a suspicion that she didn't just accidentally run into Mako and she and/or her father have some sort of ulterior motive for her dating Mako and supporting the Fireferrets.

Speaking of Mako's girlfriend, was it just me or was her look when she was first introduced some sort of nod/homage to FLCL?

There's a character named Mako? NICE. That's GOT to be a tribute to the voice actor, Mako, who voiced Uncle Iroh. They had that dedication to him in the Tales of Bah Sing Se episode.

There's a character named Mako? NICE. That's GOT to be a tribute to the voice actor, Mako, who voiced Uncle Iroh. They had that dedication to him in the Tales of Bah Sing Se episode.
They've said as much, that it was done to honor him. Very cool.

And yes, I think there's more than meets the eye here. I don't think that we've necessarily met Amon on screen, but I think he's someone that we know about. I have a theory, but we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. I'm fairly certain he's a liar, that his "story" is as false as the face he wears. That he wears the mask not to hide deformity, but simply to keep people from recognizing him. At the very least, we know he's a hypocrite. He goes on and on about how benders use their power to instill fear in those who don't have that power, and what does he himself do? Uses his power to instill fear in people who don't have that power.

I also think he's making the same mistake Ozai made, in severely underestimating the power of the Avatar. He's treating Korra like any other bender, just one that happens to be able to bend all four elements. But that's only part of the equation, just as Ozai learned the hard way. Bear in mind we haven't seen Korra "hulk out" into the Avatar state yet. The scary part is that, when it happens, it's going to happen in the middle of a crowded city.

I also think he's making the same mistake Ozai made, in severely underestimating the power of the Avatar. He's treating Korra like any other bender, just one that happens to be able to bend all four elements. But that's only part of the equation, just as Ozai learned the hard way. Bear in mind we haven't seen Korra "hulk out" into the Avatar state yet. The scary part is that, when it happens, it's going to happen in the middle of a crowded city.

You make a good point, we haven't seen Korra go into Avatar mode yet, I wonder how long it will be before that happens. Can she even do that yet since she has yet to master air bending? I'm also curious to see what she will look like in Avatar mode since she doesn't have any tats that will glow, will glowing eyes be the only indicator of her being in Avatar mode?

Yeah, it'll be just the eyes. We saw the same thing on Kyoshi and Roku. And yes, she can go into it (remember that Aang did it several times before he learned any of the other elements). But I don't think she can do it at will yet, she'll have to be pushed to it.

I and my kids are so enjoying this new series. The storyline is great. I think there are clues to whats going on when Korra sees her past live's flashbacks......keep an eye out for them.

I and my kids are so enjoying this new series. The storyline is great. I think there are clues to whats going on when Korra sees her past live's flashbacks......keep an eye out for them.

I noticed, there definitely seems to be hints of what happened to/with Ang during the period between the end of the first series and Korra. I'd love to see a break down of what's happening along with screencaps, those flashback scenes go by so fast it's hard to make out what's happening.

I noticed, there definitely seems to be hints of what happened to/with Ang during the period between the end of the first series and Korra. I'd love to see a break down of what's happening along with screencaps, those flashback scenes go by so fast it's hard to make out what's happening.

I have freeze framed them on DVR.....but so far all I could make out are glimpses of the old airbender characters as adults.

So what did you all think of the season finale? I totally loved and thought it was probably the best episode of the season, I had no clue that Amon was who he was but I did suspect that he was a bender though. I can't wait to see what they do with season 2, I wonder what they're going to do for a villain with Amon out of the way now.

I was generally pleased with the season. They stuck with the storyline, gave just enough info each episode and had a good mix of kid/mature writing. I kept waiting for what happened at the end and was surprised when I thought it wasn't going to happen and they were going to wait to resolve it at the start of the next season. Glad they wrapped it up in case it's not renewed for some reason. If anything I think they could have taken a bit longer exporing a couple aspects of the city and the avatar's training but it is nice that they're not following the same character trajectory as the original series.

I agree. It was a great season although I didn't expect such "closure"... I thought there was going to be a cliffhanger leading into Book 2...
And I wonder what Season 2 will bring?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back