learning how to sew

undeadmith

hey,

first of all no idea if this is the right thread so sorry if it is not.

so i want to learn how to sew (so does my gf so would be a nice project together) we also would like to make a jack and sally costume from nightmare before christmas. So that looks to me like the perfect thing to learn how to sew. now i have no idea where to begin!!

i can get my hands on an old sewing machine. and i know where to get fabrics, but how the hell do i begin on the costume itself? any idea's are welcome!!!

You have several options:

1. Find someone you know that knows how to sew and ask them to teach you the basics.

2. Take a class.

3. Try watching some YouTube videos.

Good luck!

Youtube videos are pretty good. I'd recommend starting with some stitches on scrap fabric. Try a bunch of top stitches, sew some pieces together, practice ironing, flat-felling, all of that. Try out some hand stitching as well. Learn how to do a straight stitch, slip stitch, blind hem, all that. Pick up some books on the subject. Get some patterns and try some stuff out. Expect your first few projects to be garbage-worthy. If you're looking to do menswear, start with a vest. Once you're comfortable with that, try a dress shirt. Then a pair of pants. Then shoot for a blazer.

coming from another person learning to sew, there are likely plenty of books on the topic at your library, some of them will include patterns. You mentioned you have fabric, but also just in case, I like to pick up some sheets at thrift stores as a way to get cheap fabric to practice on or use for projects.

As something you and your GF are doing, you may want to invest in a craftsy class, they have a few on beginning sewing and many on further sewing. Personally I find craftsy classes to be extremely high quality and in-depth, though at the expense of being sometimes too slow and long for my attention. Skillshare added a new class recently that I found to be great on covering several professional looking seems that you can use in any project. If you find some great YouTube resources, please share. There is great content of course, but some of it is harder to watch or understand.

I've tried to create some patterns on my own, and it's tricky business, especially as a newbie, but still fun. If you haven't seen it, this site is interesting to browse for cheap patterns that are emailed to you. http://www.lekala.co/

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back