Latex "problems"

I did some research and based on what i have been reading i need to make PAX, which i can make by 50/50 mixing prosaide and acrylics? after that i apply it as a base coat and it will hold tight on the suit? then paint it with normal acrylics?

-Ian

Seems like we are at the same stage in making our skins, so I might as well jump in. I have a bottle of pros aide laying here, and the way I heard about doing it, is mix it 50/50 with the acrylic ink base color (F/W from daler rowney) and then you are good to go with just using the ink, which I will spray paint with an airbrush.
I thought about making my own latex based paint, but since I have the pros aide and got a really sweet deal on the ink I will use that method instead,

If you go the PAX rout make SURE to clean your AB extremely well afterwards.  Pros-Aide is an adhesive, so you will basically be spraying glue through your AB.  A better way (at least in my opinion) is the way most do it.  Apply the Pros-Aide to the latex piece, let it dry (clear but still tacky) and paint on top of that.  Basically it would be your primer coat.  I've never mixed my inks with it.  That might work but I personally wouldn't do it.  I attempted to spray it through an AB one time and ruined it, so now I apply it with a brush and AB the inks on.  I did a simple search for "prosaide" and got 9 pages worth of results.  Maybe look through some of those before you begin.  After all, you can never have too much information.

Brian 

I agree with Brian. Would never contemplate spraying pros aide through my brush regardless how it is mixed, damn sticky stuff that is hard to get off your fingers never mind the intestines of an airbrush. Applying the pros aide first, letting it dry clear as Brian said and then brushing worked fine for my suit, hands and mask. Only had to apply the Pros aide once as a base layer.  I used Fw inks as well and having used them would probably not use anything else now.

Sean

As long as we are speaking about the FW ink... How much is needed for, say, a base coat of white that will cover the entire suit? I have a couple of bottles that are 29.5 ml each. How much will one of those cover? Don't hurt to ask before I start using the AB tomorrow after dabbing the pros aide on tonight... I decided to just go with the pros aide, and then white. No 50/50 mixing.

I aksed the same question at the stage you are at. Brian (Wonko) was spot on when he said about 3. This also covered my mask and hands as a base coat.

Sean

ulrikhedin said:
As long as we are speaking about the FW ink... How much is needed for, say, a base coat of white that will cover the entire suit? I have a couple of bottles that are 29.5 ml each. How much will one of those cover? Don't hurt to ask before I start using the AB tomorrow after dabbing the pros aide on tonight... I decided to just go with the pros aide, and then white. No 50/50 mixing.
I wouldn't let the pros-aide sit too long (2-3 hours tops) before coating it with paint.  I've had it dry out enough to lose it's tack and not hold paint.  I've heard of others having similar problems as well.  Then again I've also heard of others let it sit for a day or two with no problems, but I wouldn't chance it.  It may have been the pros-aide I was using, but I ended up having to re-coat the entire piece again.  If I were you I would pick an area to cover, apply the pros-aide, then when it's dry base coat that area (was easier for me to do small sections at a time).  When I do a mask, by the time I get to the bottom (painting from the top down) the top is usually just about all dry.  Allot of that will also depend on how thick you apply it.  More is not necessarily better in this case.  Just try and get a nice, even coat.  You can also speed up the drying process with a hair drier.  You'll also want to be careful not to touch it while it's still tacky or you could end up with a mess (don't ask me how I know).  Maybe try a test on an area that won't be seen to get a feel for it.  Better to mess up a small, unseen area than the entire suit.  That would also give you a spot to test your paint mix ratio to get it just right.

Brian

Thanks! 

Brian, I actually did just that. Could not wait until morning so after a couple of hours I sprayed it, and I did just as you suggested, doiing one area at the time, so now the front torso is covered and painted/primed. Tomorrow I will do the back, and then the arms and legs. 

Sean, I got 2 bottles right now, and I will get one large bottle (180 ml) on friday. Then I can **** it up and just paint over without standing there with no paint to use.

I will update my own thread about my build, you can find it here http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/30151-my-first-predator-costume-build/ or you can follow at my FB page https://www.facebook.com/ManiacFx/photos_albums which I update more often, at least picturewise

I remember hearing earlier at you need at least 8oz, I ordered 16 and it should be ere within the next week from today(July 26) and I have been researching more. So Brian(wonko) brushed in his pros aid. Is 16oz. Enough for an entire suit? Or am I going to be mixing it with the paint I want to use for a base coat?i din have an airbrush so I would have to brush it on. I remember earlier someone told me I could use spray acrylics. Would this be ok?

-Ian

Turns out the pros aide came just now:p I can not tomorrow, but am I supposed to be buying acrylics? As in a normal bucket of paint or should I go to a craft store and get their bottles of paint? Then I mix it to the pros aid?

Lonewolf260 said:
Turns out the pros aide came just now:p I can not tomorrow, but am I supposed to be buying acrylics? As in a normal bucket of paint or should I go to a craft store and get their bottles of paint? Then I mix it to the pros aid?
I believe George answered this question here:

ptgreek said:
wash the acrylics off with water and orange based cleaner ( it will actually be good for the latex) the enamel based spray paint ..sorry not much you can do there ..add another  coat of latex ..then go in with a prosaide wash ..then add paint ( stay away from those spray paints ..however Liquidex and Golden make acrylic cans ..they make for great base coats) OR ..mix you pax paint and start with that ..there are great paint tutorials on painting latex out there ..you should always read up before approaching something new
and here:
ptgreek said:
purchase Simple Orange cleaner from any hardware store. Order Prosaid medical adhesive from Nigels Beauty Emporium ( at least 8oz or more)

wash off the acryllic paint that you put on your latex without any bonding agent with water and Simple orange ..the spray paint may or may not come off ..to be on the safe side ..give the whole suit a new layer of latex. Now ..to paint on latex research a bit more ..the basic outline will be to start with a base that will adhere paint to a flexible surface ( like latex) and will bend with it rather then peel off. to accomplish this you will be using a medical adhesive called prosaid. You can either paint the whole suit with just prosaid ..wait for it to get tacky ..then start a base coat ( you at this pint can even use acrylic spray paint that is now sold in Michael's stores. ) Or mix PAX paint ..which is a mix of prosaid, water and acrylic paint.  If you want to get into airbrushing inks ..thats a whole other monster ..not difficult, but im not sure what your airbrush experience level is ..so i will leave it at that
Using cheap acrylic craft paint isn't going to give you the results or durability you're looking for.  Remember that you're painting something that needs to stretch and move, meaning the paint need the same ability.  If you're going the PAX route, use the proper acrylic paints, search the web for how others mix it, and experiment with it on some test pieces to see what works best for you.  All the answers you're looking for can be found here and pretty much all over the web.  It's not that we don't want to help, but by doing the research yourself you'll gain a better understanding of what and how things need to be done.  Inn fact, I read through this entire post again and everything you're asking has been answered here.  Take your time, don't rush it, and you'll end up with something to be proud of instead of getting frustrated and wanting to give up.  Here's a place to start  http://specialeffectsmakeup.blogspot.com/2009/07/making-pax-paint.html.  That's a good starting point, but you really need to work out what works best for you, as each application is going to be different.

Brian

Thank you so much for this, I will admit I have been kind of rushing and I should take my time To have a better piece to be proud of, I am researching a lot right now, the link you sent was very helpful! Possibly I'll start today but ill probably wait so I can research. So thank you so much Brian and everyone else who has helped me! I'll post my progress as I go on!

-Ian

Lonewolf260 said:
Thank you so much for this, I will admit I have been kind of rushing and I should take my time To have a better piece to be proud of, I am researching a lot right now, the link you sent was very helpful! Possibly I'll start today but ill probably wait so I can research. So thank you so much Brian and everyone else who has helped me! I'll post my progress as I go on!

-Ian
I'm happy to help, and know that the others here are too.  Hopefully it's saved you from some of the stupid mistakes I made when first starting out.  I can totally relate to wanting it done right now, but learned that taking my time and doing things the right way the first time are the two biggest things that kept me motivated to complete my first suit.  Keep us updated on the build, and have fun along the way!

Brian

One small question, I cannot find acrylic spray paint anywhere, I've looked online, and in many stores. But my friend has an airbrush an he says he can get many uses from an 8oz sample can from Home Depot, I don't know if that kind of paint is ok so I wanted to know from you guys. If not i was going to buy some acrylic bottles From a hobby store, i would assume it will be painted with acrylics because thats what ive read and ill just airbrush it on, I hope on starting my suit soon because there are small deadlines id like it done by. Thanks!

-Ian

My local hobby lobby just started carying FW inks, so if you have one close by check them out. Another option is check your local yellow pages for art supply stores, they almost always carry FW inks. Worst case, there's lots of supplies online such as dick blick. I like the FW inks so much I started using them in my bio paint ups as we'll. Hope this helps you out Ian!

Brian

I have a hobby lobby nearby, but FW inks come in small amounts so id
have to buy a ton, my friend sent me this, he uses these paints to airbrush things, any of these ok?

image.jpg

Stay away from latex paint. There are things in it that react poorly with RD-407 that will cause it to detiorate quickly (what I have been told). The cheap acrylic in the middle dries hard and will crack the minute you try to bend or flex the latex. I don't know anything about the other one, so can't say. Remember this. Latex was never really meant to be painted, hence the reason for special processes and paints. Ultimately the choice is yours, but if I were you I'd stick with what has already been proven many times.

Brian

I'm sorry but I don't think I understand, this is all a huge headache, I've done tons of searching and googling and can't find anything that really gives an answer. I have no idea on what paint to buy, I have the prosaide, isn't that used to help the paint be flexible? I'm really confused and have no idea what to do, I know this stuff takes time and patience but I've been working on this entire costume for about 8 months and just want to try and finish it

-ian

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back