Laser Blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
You know I have had so many requests and interest in Laser Blast I decided to post what little I have. I could figure out what forum to post it in so I figured here since most of you know me here and if Art needs to he cam move it to the appropriate forum.

I was in the opening of the film as the Alien.

I designed all the makeups, applied them. Ve Neill applied the one I wore on location with Dave Alan.

I designed the gun. The thing around his neck.

On one of the set days on the back lot Mark Hamill showed up and spent the day with us. What a nice guy and fun to be with.

We had a lot of fun making the movie. The opening was shot by Dave Alien, Paul Gentry, myself and Ve. That was the whole crew that day out in the middle of the desert. I forget the teeth that day. If you look I have no alien teeth.

The eye contacts were from Omegaman and hurt like hell. I still have them.

The gun based was sculpted as was the barrel. Acrylic tube for the arm piece. Lots of old computer heat sinks. TOS tricorder parts and a 35 mm film can. It all lite up up and blinked.

This was the second time I worked with Roddy. first being Planet of the apes TV show. Last time was Fright Night. He was alway delightful and wonderful to work with and a hell of a film buff.

Can't think of anything else right now. Here's a picture of the test make up before eye contacts in from of my home back in 78 I believe. Paul is finding more pictures that haven't been seen before and this is one of them.

Enjoy,

Steve

30909_424881393622_602313622_559751.jpg

laserblastgun.jpg

I love that movie, Remember seeing it on MST3K .
The alien turtles are really nicely made.

Great stuff Steve! These where the golden days a film making! Thanks for showing the photos. Randy

It's from this Tricorder. And I still have it but not the gun. An old friend years ago in the 70s made kits and finished TOS prop sets. He had lots of parts around and sold me them for the gun.

They are actually 1:1 scale tricorder parts.

tricorder_finished1.jpg

Steve

Michael it's props too and the original screen used, both costume make up and props. So I guess this is the best stop? Thanks for moving it though.

BTW the costume I'm wearing st the beginning of the movie is a Logan's Run costume the Studio rented from Western Costume.

Steve

Holy cow, I barely remember this movie I was so young but seeing this thread brought back lots of memories! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see more.

I really enjoyed your blog as well. I love watching how other people make their props and you have tons of videos there. I learned a few tricks so thanks for that too :D

MAN OH MAN Steve - thanks so much for this thread. As I posted before I loved loved loved this movie as a kid - I still laugh when he blows up the Star Wars sign. I even asked Santa that year for a "Laser Blast arm gun"!

Steve, what was the thing around his neck? I remember it looked a little like a grenade. Was it a found object?

Cowboys and Aliens owes this story some credit.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Great to see there is love for this movie! Thanks for sharing, Steve!

I've got part of the control panel that the alien waves his hand over.
lazer02.jpg

I was told this Billiken recast alien sat on Dave's desk.

Here is a casting that is supposed to be from one of the original puppets but I can't match it to the ones seen on-screen.
laserb.jpg

MAN OH MAN Steve - thanks so much for this thread. As I posted before I loved loved loved this movie as a kid - I still laugh when he blows up the Star Wars sign. I even asked Santa that year for a "Laser Blast arm gun"!

Steve, what was the thing around his neck? I remember it looked a little like a grenade. Was it a found object?
Cowboys and Aliens owes this story some credit.

I made a master and glued resin half domes to it then cast the whole thing in silicone. Then cast a polyester resin clear casting with the lights embedded as I recall.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Great to see there is love for this movie! Thanks for sharing, Steve!

I've got part of the control panel that the alien waves his hand over.
lazer02.jpg

I was told this Billiken recast alien sat on Dave's desk.

Here is a casting that is supposed to be from one of the original puppets but I can't match it to the ones seen on-screen.
laserb.jpg

I have one of those too and I'm not sure about that store but it might be true. But it is identical. I have one too. Bob burns gave it to me. Where did you find the old panel? I remember that set well when Dave was building it and animating. I was always around his studio in those days. I worked for Dave off and one for years after. We gave each other work all the time. He was a good man.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Steve, great photos! Thanks for making LaserBlast...definitely a true cult classic. I think I'll dig out my DVD and watch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back