Large Voyager Style PADD made from cardboard

Hiddenevil

So i've seen the works of BAK55 on here and was inspired by his use of cardboard and paper to make props that look amazing. While some of you might have seen my recent posts, i'm a relative newbie. I started out about a month ago and have thus built a small voyager padd out of acrylic, a Starland (garage) kit and overhauled an old convention Gamma comm i had. But i wasn't happy with working on all thse pre cut kits. I wanted to scratch build something with my bare hands. So using only card and paper, i've constructed the following.

Now before anyone points it out, i know the top plate is reversed. But this is due to me messing up the correct side while sanding. I was still learning how to sand cardboard and made the mistake of treat it like styrene. I'll never do that again! :lol

So here it is

Cheers
James

Hey, great work! Glad to see a fellow fan working with this medium and the results come out so well.

As you gain experience, you'll start to challenge yourself with more complicated builds. Half of the fun is figuring out how to build the parts that you'll need.

Thanks, i REALLY enjoyed making this. At first i was like "GOD what have i got myself in to, this will never look right!!" This was my reaction after the first layer of primer was sucked in by the card :lol After a sand down with some 400 grade and another layer of primer added. It started to come together, but that wasn't before i discovered one REAL importanted tip. Dont try doing wet and dry on cardboard. I dont know why i thought it was going to end well, but i learned my lesson.

As this was the prototype, i'm have plans to make another two. A small voyager padd and a TNG padd. I have a soft spot for these props and now i know i can make them from this material. It's lots of fun!

And a big thanks Bakk55!, i'll be raising a drink to you later for getting me in to this with your Rocketeer helmets and backpacks :lol

James

Cheers, you know i found that link about a week ago..Half way through making my own. I'd definately suggest it to anyone starting out. I've been pottering away with paints and materials for a month and managed to do things i'd never thought i could. Definately lots of fun seeing a project completed.

Cheers, you know i found that link about a week ago..Half way through making my own. I'd definately suggest it to anyone starting out. I've been pottering away with paints and materials for a month and managed to do things i'd never thought i could. Definately lots of fun seeing a project completed.

I spotted it a few months back myself. It's definitely a great starting point for anyone. And I think that you can switch the materials from the strawboard to styrene and still get an excellent result without having to change the method of constructing it.

That's cardboard? That looks better than the kit I built... of course it was a great kit and totally my fault for not following the directions... but that's neither here nor there.

Cheers guys, i've been trying to make a padd out of styrene and i had a b$44ch of a time cutting out the windows. Resulting in snapping the styrene. I've tried all sorts of glue's but it wont patch back together. Going to buy some plastic cement tomorrow and see if that works. Working with cardboard has been great. If all else fails i will find a company to laser cut the plastic for me. I've tried to shy away from this as i want to do all the construction.

James

Yep. There's nothing like a little sense of pride knowing all the work is yours, and to have other people appreciate it.

Well i sprayed it in matt varnish, so it wont go soggy ;)

Can't wait to make another. I'm thinking i might try making a TOS padd or a data card viewer.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back