Lady on a Train (1945) "The Case of the Headless Bride" novel. Anyone ever do a replica?

Odin82

Sr Member
"Lady on a Train" from 1945 is a really fun murder mystery from 1940's Universal, and one of the early "eyewitness" plots.

In New York, a woman who partially witnesses a killing from a train window seeks the aid of a crime novelist to solve the murder.

Really fun film with Deanna Durbin, and scratches the murder mystery itch if one has it.

One of the main props the main character has, is a fictional novel called "The Case of the Headless Bride". Screencaps in the film are hard to pick out, and found one promotional image of the actress with the book.

Just wondering if anyone here who loves paper props has made their own version. Can't find any pics of the OG screen used prop.

vlcsnap-2023-01-27-09h58m41s681.png
aalady4.jpg

tumblr_onhx9eQj3L1ufqf11o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_onhx9eQj3L1ufqf11o2_1280.jpg

8.png

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 17.54.22.jpg

Last edited:
Still a WiP, but here is the 1st version:
Headless Bride Book 1.png

I chose this red/blue combo because converted to grayscale it looks pretty close to the screenshots/stills:
Headless Bride Book B-W Comp.png

Enhancing and colorizing the image will be a bit hard, but we'll see if it's doable.

On a side note, Google might think that I lost my mind, because yesterday and today I have intensively searched for vintage wedding dresses and brides:
3b143cb52fabf2a627cc23fbc4c96002.jpg 1930s-brides (7).jpg 1930s-brides (26).jpg a06a3e4260adcc102de4a7adafbf83a6.jpg image.png tumblr_mv5ocppHCN1s42zyno1_540.jpg

That pose from the book was a specific one to that period.

First attempt of colorizing, but sadly still no enhancement on the quality:
Headless Bride Book 2.png

The base colors were achieved with an automated colorizing software, then I added a bit of saturation, changed the color of the dress and added some color to the flower bouquet.

A better attempt of colorizing and enhancing. It looks promising:
Headless Bride Book Final.png

Update:
I call this the final version (for now); the size was reduced and now the cover dusk jacket should print at 468 x 210 mm (basically the book is close to an A5 format).

Last edited:
And two bonus photos of Nikki Collins (first enhanced with Topaz Photo AI, partially colorized with an automated option:, then the final colors were added individually):
Photo of Nikki Collins BW.png Photo of Nikki Collins Color 3.png

Made from this screencap:
Image12.png

Google might think that I lost my mind, because yesterday and today I have intensively searched for vintage wedding dresses and brides:

Sweet work dude! Amazing! I know the feeling about googling, as I had been searching for almost the same search terms and finding the same poses and the swooping weddings dress to the sides! In hope of it being a stock image that had been used.

Amazing work Rafal! And with the colouring! Looks incredible! (I had seen there's an old colorized trailer on youtube, but no shot of the book).

Some reason I didn't get any reply notifications.

The end scene has Wayne Morgan's new book on the film too. But hard to find a good pic of it to be able to work with, or see what the image on the cover is.

Hope you enjoyed the film if you had given it a watch!

Attachments

• Deanna Durbin juggles murder and romance in... Lady on a Train (1945).jpg
    Deanna Durbin juggles murder and romance in... Lady on a Train (1945).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the kind words, Odin!

I found this colorized version, but I didn't liked the color choices for the book:
23091046496_1380dc9ef3_o.jpg

I noticed the other book, but I think it will be hard to do something with it. Not impossible, just hard to make...

At one point I'll have to see the movie.

Haha, we found that about a month ago and hadn't identified it yet. I'm back there on Monday. I'll see if I can find it again.

That is great! I'm sure there are other paper props made by them for Tombstone, more exactly the No Guns Ordinance, the Bird Cage Theater Program and the My Friend Doc Holliday book (these are all WiPs):
Image4.png Tombstone Program 2.png Image34.png

And the Circus Program from Batman Forever:
Gotham Circus brochure 2-min.jpg 6157da40-a77d-421c-b816-b87b11fa8570.jpg

The font and design on the inner left side is identical to the one from the No Guns Ordinance.

Haha, we found that about a month ago and hadn't identified it yet. I'm back there on Monday. I'll see if I can find it again.

Wait, you found this book from Lady on a Train? Noooo wayyy... really? What a coincidence! I was going to post it a few weeks ago but said I'd spend some time researching images first. If the second one is there, would be well cool to see what they look like now!

I'm guessing the newspaper / clipping from the movie is located near it hopefully!

GHkdTLf.jpeg

Wait, you found this book from Lady on a Train? Noooo wayyy... really? What a coincidence! I was going to post it a few weeks ago but said I'd spend some time researching images first. If the second one is there, would be well cool to see what they look like now!
Yeah, about a month ago we found that title on 3 different covers. It went into the "figure out what its from later file". Now I just have to find it again :/

That's fantastic man. It's a fairly prominent prop / plot device in the film. If it would be possible, would love to see some photos. It's a terrific fun film.

Awakening this thread from its lethargy.
Accidentally found the original photo used by Mr. Haskell at the train station to recognize Nikki:
257a9a87aec35d986b769f94ef048a48.jpg

Cleaned up the photo, run in through Topaz Photo AI to enhance it, then used HitPaw Photo Enhancer to partially colorize it, then the final touches were done manually:
Photo of Nikki Collins Color New.png

This should print around 260 x 220 mm.

I'm also working on the Circus Club matchbook. Here's a preview of the fully vectorized logo (1st variant from the matchbook and the 2nd variant from the sign outside the club):
Circus Club Matchbook.png Circus Club Sign.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back