A Knight's Tale patent of nobility replica help

AndroidShepherd

I've been working on this on on and off for a while now but I am beyond lost and was hoping the community hear could offer some guidance.

I've been trying to replicate the patent of nobility that Paul Bettanys character makes for Heath Ledgers. It appears to be just a leather roll and a single sheet of parchment but I can find no scans or images (high Def or otherwise) of the entirety of the page. I also can't find any information on the (what appear to be) medals hanging from the page or roll so I am unclear whether if they are a real historical element or simply a style choice made by the production team.

Any and all help with finding a usable image of the prop or even general information about what a real historical item if similar importance would be incredibly helpful.

Thank in advance.

Attachments

• 20230423_144601.jpg
    20230423_144601.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230423_144554.jpg
    20230423_144554.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230423_144636.jpg
    20230423_144636.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
I can't help you with specifics, but the medals at the bottom were traditionally wax seals attached to a document to attest that the person signing it was indeed who they claimed to be. Seals were usually embedded onto ribbon or chord. The movie ones look like ribbon. If you check up on Charter Seals that should give you an idea of what they'd look like. If you're feeling particularly authentic hunt for Dutch or German ones. And Ulrich Von Lichtenstein was a real person so there may be some details you can crib from his own history.

I can't help you with specifics, but the medals at the bottom were traditionally wax seals attached to a document to attest that the person signing it was indeed who they claimed to be. Seals were usually embedded onto ribbon or chord. The movie ones look like ribbon. If you check up on Charter Seals that should give you an idea of what they'd look like. If you're feeling particularly authentic hunt for Dutch or German ones. And Ulrich Von Lichtenstein was a real person so there may be some details you can crib from his own history.
Thanks so much! I had always assumed they where some types of medals with family crests on them that further attested to his lineage but that makes way more sense. This is going to open up a whole new line of research for me now that I actually know what to look for.

Cheers

Here's some clearer HD screen shots. On the left of the last one you can see the seals hanging off of other patents on the table...
The prop looks to just be wax circles hanging on ribbon, I don't really see any detail in them...
I've always wondered where the real prop of this, and the gold trophies they won, ended up... Never seen much of anything from this film out there... (Williams 'Nike' armor was sold at auction a few years back, still regret not bidding on that... :) )

Attachments

• Patent1.jpg
    Patent1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Patent2.jpg
    Patent2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Patent3.jpg
    Patent3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 17
  • Patent4.jpg
    Patent4.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 13
The higher resolution shots are appreciated I never noticed the stack of other patents before. I'm wondering if the wax seals are just generic due to the production not thinking it mattered/ would show up on film but that doesn't really feel right. An awful lot of detail went into plenty of things that you couldn't see, and you couldn't know ahead of time what the cameras would definitely capture. I've reached out to several of the production companies over the years, I found the one that made his armour (both sets) and the one that made his feather trophy but no luck in finding anyone who made this or knows what might have happened to it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back