Kylo Ren Fabric

I think I know why the fabric on the cloak and sleeves look shiny. They may have used that waterproofing stuff for filming in the elements. So hence the shine possibly.

I ordered a yard of the fabric with the right weave in the right size. Once it gets in, I’ll be doing several paint tests of various kinds to match the look and sheen of the exhibit costume. I’ll be using varying thicknesses of plasti-dip, lacquer, latex spray, and an acrylic spray. Additionally, I’ll be using dry brushed pewter, spray pewter, and others. I’ll be posting the tests in my thread with pics in full sunlight and in fluorescents.

I think I know why the fabric on the cloak and sleeves look shiny. They may have used that waterproofing stuff for filming in the elements. So hence the shine possibly.

yeah i'm pretty set on this being waxed thread it's used a lot to add durability and water resistance and gives this particular sheen we're seeing

I am only at page 3 and i just saw the Blue Swatch. I made an account JUST to post. I am 100% done with my costume and I just wanted to say I would REMAKE my entire costume to get this material.

You can put me down for 10 yards (cause thats what it took to make mine)

For all the people asking about what to use on the outside I tried 10 different materials. I ended up using spray laquer on my costume. Smelled like the devil for 10 hours. but it shines like it should IMHO

I am only at page 3 and i just saw the Blue Swatch. I made an account JUST to post. I am 100% done with my costume and I just wanted to say I would REMAKE my entire costume to get this material.

You can put me down for 10 yards (cause thats what it took to make mine)

For all the people asking about what to use on the outside I tried 10 different materials. I ended up using spray laquer on my costume. Smelled like the devil for 10 hours. but it shines like it should IMHO

i was thinking blue .. what blue haha

was just my bad colour balance it was cream ^^

still waiting to hear from the mill they live in a much slower world than we do ^^

Thank you so much sir and not a problem! I am just very very very interested in this! I couldn't believe how much material this costume took to make and I am in NO rush to remake it as id just sell mine when i got a proper material. Mine is "close enough" its got the 2x2 lines at only 5 or 6 squares per inch unlike most the others I see, but yours...yours is PERFECT. So yes I am just fine with the "Surcoat" I do have. Just...yes VERY interested is all :D

Thank you so much sir and not a problem! I am just very very very interested in this! I couldn't believe how much material this costume took to make and I am in NO rush to remake it as id just sell mine when i got a proper material. Mine is "close enough" its got the 2x2 lines at only 5 or 6 squares per inch unlike most the others I see, but yours...yours is PERFECT. So yes I am just fine with the "Surcoat" I do have. Just...yes VERY interested is all :D

oo interesting in terms of your build would you say 7-8 meters of fabric covers it ? ti's the assumption we've all been going with so far but would be interesting to hear somone who's tackled it's view

also shots !! gotta see this ^^

Yes sir you'll have just enough! I did a makeshift pattern which I'll post later BTW! I am on my phone so all I can show is a WIP from 3 days ago haha but yes in 8.22 yards is what is needed. Which is 7.51 meters which BTW that's butt up against each other so always account for 25% more.
So 10 yards will do it! Which yes I would personally not buy less than 9 meters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Neolilangel/IMG_20150426_161657920_zpsxwesnngt.jpg

Howsabout this one? I know it's got a light purple/red tinge in it, but the pattern and heaviness of the fabric appear to be good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-yard-EGGP...en-Heavy-Upholstery-Fabric-54-w-/161668981182

In the description:

Soft top hand and stiff drape
54" wide
No Stabilized backing
Perfect for Sofa and Chair applications, Certain Window Applications, Cushions, Window Seats, Decor Pillows, Tote Bags, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my quick and dirty pattern concerning my above about needing 8+ yards btw!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Neolilangel/Neolilangel184/kylo ren pattern_zpsgis9exzk.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Howsabout this one? I know it's got a light purple/red tinge in it, but the pattern and heaviness of the fabric appear to be good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-yard-EGGPL...-/161668981182

In the description:

this ones acctually really good. it only has 7 squares per square inch.

I feel dumb now. I bet that was discussed on here last week, and I forgot. This is my first attempt at dying. Thank you for clarifying.

Maybe this might work?
I also was reading about a product called iDye...

"iDye's self-dissolving packet eliminates the handling of messy powders. Just fill a stainless steel or enamel pot with the recommended amount of water, add an iDye packet and the included Color Intensifier, add a pre-wetted garment, place the pot over high heat, stir until the iDye is dissolved, and continue to stir frequently.

The dyeing method is different for 100% polyester and nylon material, and polyester/nylon blends with natural fibers. Simply follow package instructions to achieve the best results."

I figure the more options we have the better until the exact fabric can be identified...Happy Hunting!

I got the swatch in the pattern is spot on but sadly it's too frizzy and not smooth. 1430438426697.jpg

Was certainly worth a look but I still think chenille is not a match for the fabric as well the weave looks to tight and would be hard pressed to ever look like worsted cotton yarn

Was certainly worth a look but I still think chenille is not a match for the fabric as well the weave looks to tight and would be hard pressed to ever look like worsted cotton yarn
I tried playing with it and heating it and it didn't go too well. This basket weave search is tedious! haha

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back