Kylo Ren Fabric

I just tried dyeing the first cream/white fabric (70% wool, 30% cotton) It didn't accept the dye completely even though I added vinegar (wool needs the acid in vinegar to accept dye). I ended up with caramel brown. So that one seems to be a no-go. A shame, because the weave wasn't too bad even though it's still far from being perfect. : (

A custom option would be real good right now... can't imagine that it'd be hard to move 50+ yards. (I mean, if the Galactica crowd can move hundreds of yards of flight suit material, the Big Bad of the new Star Wars should be super easy.) Just for fun, I might check with a couple places here in Sweden, since "monk's cloth" comes from here. (I'm guessing it'll be crazy expensive though.)

What kind of dye did you use? I know dye exists that is specifically for wool but I've never used it. Wool also likes to shrink in hot water which scares the heck out of me. I'd rather just buy custom. I imagine we could even move 100m of the stuff.

I have not had luck finding a metallic fabric paint that doesn't look like children's glitter. Does anyone have a lead for where one might buy that?

in my opinion the fabric is not actually metalic its just coated i.e wax coated which is giving the shimmer in the light it's hard for me to comment more as i couldn't see it in the flesh

in my opinion the fabric is not actually metalic its just coated i.e wax coated which is giving the shimmer in the light it's hard for me to comment more as i couldn't see it in the flesh

Precisely. If the production actually had it woven, then I would also assume that they actually used waxed thread instead of coating it afterward. Side note: Waxed cotton is also often mistaken for leather since it shines so much. (For example, a lot of people thought that Nick Fury's coat in Avengers was leather because it was so shiny, when in fact it was waxed denim!)

Precisely. If the production actually had it woven, then I would also assume that they actually used waxed thread instead of coating it afterward. Side note: Waxed cotton is also often mistaken for leather since it shines so much. (For example, a lot of people thought that Nick Fury's coat in Avengers was leather because it was so shiny, when in fact it was waxed denim!)

ditto for Gamora !

Well everyone contacting joanns was a bust they don't have basket weave and recommended other styles but as we all know that won't cut it. Back to the drawing board. Anyone else have better luck?

I believe I found the pattern on amazon but it doesn't have that upholstery sheen to it. I posted my finds a few pages back 51ECTr5r9ML.jpg51oSo1RSklL.jpg519Hg+u+aIL.jpg

I believe I found the pattern on amazon but it doesn't have that upholstery sheen to it. I posted my finds a few pages backView attachment 470270View attachment 470271View attachment 470272

Has anyone seen a chenille at their local store, Would a chenille be too fuzzy and soft? I saw a few today, but breezed past them because they seemed a little too much like a loose minky fabric, but I have no idea what paint and wax will do to change the texture and the way it moves. Does anyone know?

I ordered a swatch of it hopefully I can match it.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.fabricempire.com/chenille-solid-basket-weave-black-fabric-59-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx

I am going to an armor party on the 2nd with the san joaquin garrison here and Im meeting with the guys who will be making the bucket and saber for kylo as weak they haven't started the soft goods search they're leaving that to me. I will send pics of what they have so far if they bring the items.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back