Kuhn Global - Poll #1

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Kuhn Global, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I was speaking with REL (Richard) this evening and we were discussing what his next project should be for Kuhn Global after his Starship run is complete. He told me he would want to make something that would be quick for him to do (Since Starships are so time consuming and also since my plans are to keep him busy..lol) and we came up with the following projects that we wanted to know your opinions on...

Which of the following would everyone be most interested in?

A.) 1/24 ARC-170

B.) 1/24 Republic Gunship

C.) Large Scale (about 3 feet high.. whatever Studio Scale is) Shuttle Tydirium

These will be offered to all of you as well when they are completed so your response is important...

Poll away... :D

2. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gunship......

3. Maths_Hal

Maths_Hal New Member

Large scale Shuttle Tydirium.....

Maths

4. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Lambda shuttle.

5. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Thats easy, shuttle, its a classic ship thats never been done in SS, not that ive seen anyways. Prequel ships just dont have the spark for me, there isnt one that jumps out so not a fan of them.

6. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Large scale Shuttle Tyderium for sure.

7. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

SS Ty Shuttle. With the ability to add motors/gearing to the wings. :thumbsup

8. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I vote for taking a breath.....erm wait * stop making me want to spend money.

The Shuttle for sure. :p

Greg

9. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

My vote is not on your list.

1/350th scale K'Tinga Klingon Cruiser.

10. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Jul 17 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]1282462[/snapback]</div>
    LOL... Ohhhh but it is. Just not on this specifically stated project. :D That will be done just a bit later.

This project is to get him away from something that will take him 4 to 6 months to complete in order to break up the cycle of those looooonng projects. I am sure you all know what I am talking about. :p

He is estimating a short delivery time on this one. I can hear the thoughts and rolling eyes now. :rolleyes LOL.... "SHORT?.." :confused LOL. Of that I can say that I have come to well know Richard's accuracy,.. it has been demonstrated time and again on the Enterprise. He is a perfectionist in the highest form which is another reason I will be using him in Kuhn Global future builds.

A 1/350th K'Tinga,... oh yes.... it will happen. :D As Frank stated to me in another thread... give it time. LOL. :lol However,.. if MR or another rising company gets to it first, I will be in line just as all of you will be. We're all grown children at heart or else we wouldn't be here. ;)

I am forgetful these days and am sure someone asked what projects I have on my list. Let me say that there are many. If it existed in Sci-Fi or non Sci-Fi,.. and I enjoyed viewing it in any measure,... it will be done for as long as I able to make it happen. So the better question would be,.. what isn't on the list. ;) LOL

Certainly with all the talent on this board participating in suggestion or physical participation,.. it truely will be triumphs for all involved as each project completes.

Please continue the Poll... I appreciate it greatly.

<div class='quotetop'>(Jades Dark Heart @ Jul 17 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]1282398[/snapback]</div>
    LOLOLOL....AGREED Greg. Please let me know how to stop?. LOL. I think I am going a bit nutty and over the top with the projects. "Out of control" I think is what Jesse said..lol. It pleases me to have the opportunity to keep talents like Richard and Bob (HandSolo) as busy as possible and also be able to help Richard offer his work widely and not just in my collection alone. He began his trek (forgive the pun) with the Enterprise,.. I am just along for the ride. There is just too much talent here not to take advantage of it. I am happy in my belief that I have chosen the right guys to accomplish my dream. They are awesome. I say life is short... live what you can.

11. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

i vote 1/24 gun ship..

12. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

Shuttle...

13. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I cant afford a studio scale shuttle, a gunship is way cheaper.

14. REL

REL Sr Member

Awesome thanks Kurt for the kind words. I was hoping it would be the shuttle as it's something I wanted to make for years.

15. falcondesigns

falcondesigns Well-Known Member

So,you gonna do the shuttle or what.

16. REL

REL Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Jul 17 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]1282462[/snapback]</div>
    Man I've seen your work, I have no doubt you could make one.

<div class='quotetop'>(falcondesigns @ Jul 17 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1282863[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yes. :D

17. REL

REL Sr Member

The Lambda class is 20 meters long, at 1/24 scale that would make it 32" (83cm) long. So just under 3 feet long, but with it's wing's open it would be pretty tall.

18. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Richard,.. you have well earned the due kind words and respect.

Looks like we have a winner in a very short poll then...

STUDIO SCALE SHUTTLE TYDIRIUM.... :D

Sounds like this is the one you really want to do anyway Richard. :p Having passion for the project always helps in it's creation. LOL. This excites me,.. I can't wait to see another REL creation. :D

OK folks... it will be done. Maybe after that we can talk 1/350 K'Tinga or Republic Star Destroyer? :)

We can talk about which version of K'Tinga at that time too... ST-TMP or ST-VI.

19. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Shuttle would be cool...(as are all the ideas)

Excellent...can't wait

20. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

Which of the following would everyone be most interested in?

A.) 1/24 ARC-170

B.) 1/24 Republic Gunship

C.) Large Scale (about 3 feet high.. whatever Studio Scale is) Shuttle Tydirium

Hmmm, if you ask me. I say.... All 3. :p Honestly, I like em all. :thumbsup

Unless your choice is:

A.) Naboo Fighter :eek:
    B.) STAPS :rolleyes
    C.) Gungan Sub :confused

Than I will go: "Errrr..... errmmmm.... welllll.... hmmmmmmm .... errrrrr ....."

B

21. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

You mean a Studio Scale T Shuttle like this one? the body is almost 11" across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon Kurt..... Soon ok maybe not that soon but in the works.

Steve

22. REL

REL Sr Member

Awesome. Ok back to the drawing board for me but I'm very happy someone is making one. Will it be offered as a kit?

23. Viceland

Viceland Active Member

Ok, Steve, I want one of those, like definitely.

24. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Working the details with the pattern maker. The Shuttle will be the last offering I think..

The next one from this pattern maker will be the ROTJ AT-ST... not the super giant one used for explosions but the one used for Go-Motion photography.

I'll post pics soon. They both will be a kit

ATST early fall. Shuttle first of the year.

Steve

25. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

LOLOL...ahhh man.... kewl Steve. THAT IS AWESOME...

I am there when it is complete. Just email me man. LOL.. sorry to have forced a reveal. I really didn't mean too. I had no idea this was in the works,.. or at least I forgot :confused

In any case..count me in Steve.

Well then.... BACK TO THE POLLS. :D

I am on the phone with Richard right now...

Since nobody really went for the ARC-170, and only 2 for the Republic Gunship,.. I would like to add 4th and 5th poll selections for quickies...

4.) From Star Trek Insurrection - A 1/24 Scale Federation Scout Ship that Data attacked with. One of my favs.

5.) Studio Scale U.S.S. Defiant from DS9...also one of my favs.

26. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Hey Boxster.. Its me Stippy.

27. Boxster

Hey Stip man. Good to see you here. :)

So the question is back.

I vote for either the ARC or the Gunship.

B

28. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Well, I still vote for the gunship, it has never been done in model form just in CG?
    but i`m just a newb, so what do i know ha. :lol

29. bwize

bwize Well-Known Member

Well, my vote is still the Shuttle. I hate to be the first to state this, but.....

The studio scale that swpropmaker is working on, while beautifuly done, is not true to the ROTJ filming miniature. The proportions look more like the Ertl kit which is based off the full scale set piece. I prefer the sleek, elegant lines of the effects minature myself. One could take the Kenner/Hasbro toy and convert it into a pretty faithful studio scale kit. Don't believe me, look at the article linked below.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/lambdashape.html

30. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I agree, the Kenner toy is by far the most accurate "proportionally" to the filming mini, ive tried a few times to bag one on ebay, but they do fetch some high prices here and there. It is one on my to do list though, the sleeker look is by far more visually appealing than the somewhat stumpy MPC/ live set shape, and by accurizing the toy it would in the long run work out cheaper and get the builder closer to the miniatures design.

31. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Well,.. gathering from the notes directly on the pics,.. I don't believe Steve intends this to be a final product...this is not even a prototype.. just a form to be worked on at this stage. I have seen Steve's final products and I know this is NOT what it would be. It is shown here just to be made aware that he is looking at the project for future production.

I just got off the phone with him and he confirmed this. This is waaaaayyyyyy in the infant stages and not even being looked at right now. He's talking probably a year before even looking at it again. So everyone ....chill... lol... it was only posted for knowledge that it is being done in the future. ;)

32. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Ok, fellow rivet counters.. as one of you kitbashing eagle eyes have pointed out the shuttle in the picture is not exact to the filming minature. The pictures are of the first build a friend of mine did. It is based upon a blown up version of the ERTL kit. He shared them with me in hopes I could help make it better. Not bad considering the starting point IMHO.

This version was NEVER inteneded to be the master pattern. I posted them just showing that a shuttle had been attempted before. I have contacted him and we have shared ideas on the construct of the Shuttle using actual kit parts.

Like I said before my focus is on other Studio Scale craft for now. Getting TIES out, Probe Droids, Molding a Escape Pod ect.

This was a project we were going to do after the studio Scale AT-ST was finished.

If you guys have a builder and the acurate kit part information to start one now, I say go for it. One less for me to help build. :p

I'm sure there are die hard Shuttle fans out there that have already mapped out all the correct kit parts and have the reference photos needed to recrate this craft. In the world of studio scale reproduction it's all in the accurate details. Lots of additional kits were used on the ROTJ minatures more than 5 or 6 years worth.

It will take a group effort to get it right. Gather reference, research, find and start identifing all the parts, then locate the parts, producing parts needed for construction. Luckly the Shuttle does not require lets say a Y Wing level if kitparts but if you look close there are some pretty decient areas required to be broken down and Identified. Using the correct kit parts will make the final Shuttle size accurate. It is the way to go.

So build away... if it turns out 1/2 as good as the the big E I'm sure everyone will be happy. :thumbsup

Steve

33. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(swpropmaker @ Jul 19 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]1284018[/snapback]</div>
    You are a class act Steve... good man. :)

You know I am on your list for EVERYTHING. LOL. :thumbsup :p :thumbsup

That AT-ST sounds AWESOME. Not to mention other secret squirrel stuff you have going on. Count me in. I am soooooo there. :D

So maybe Richard will be doing the Shuttle after all?..

34. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Wow a stuioscale AT ST .
    I beginn to save money, I don't know if I could get all the money but I will try, I want one . :D

35. REL

REL Sr Member

I've been thinking this over for a few hours now.

I think what you've posted on the shuttle looks awesome as far as construction, details etc. If it's not exactly like the studio model because of the reference he used I don't doubt for a second he couldn't make it spot on with the proper references.

Since he's already taken the time and money to do such a wonderful job that looks outstanding then I think he deserves to finish it, and I just wouldn't feel right stepping in when someone has already invested so much in the subject.

There's PLENTY of other subjects out there, and I change my mind on what I want to make next about every 10 minutes. So me wanting to make a Tydirium was an out of the blue type thing, in fact every time I talk to Kurt we go over the different subjects that can be done and go into overload on where to start.

Personally the ships I really really want to make, because they're my favorites of all time are the Ent E, DS9 Defiant and a Mon Calimari Cruiser. I would like to make something simple to tide me over between those huge projects that take months and months to complete, that's why I'm looking to do a fighter etc.

Since Kurt has me doing a few build ups, a base for his X-Wing's and Y-Wing's and a sculpture for his wife I think I'll just cancel any plans for a simple ship and move on to a studio scale Defiant since that's one of the most kickass Star Trek ships out there...almost Star Wars worthy :D

36. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

REL, How big is the SS Defiant??

37. REL

REL Sr Member

There seems to be a fair bit of controversy about the size of the Defiant, but Ex Astris Scientia's assesment is 120 meters. So I was thinking of 1/144 scale at 33".

38. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

WOW, Thats big :eek where would you put it?

39. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Richard... the Defiant is a great choice.

I think it is always a great idea to give any other master's project a wide birth (did I spell that correct? :confused ) as a rule anyway, but it was nice of Steve to give the OK anyway. Thanks again Steve. I will be in line for it when it is complete.

Richard,.. what was the Defiant filming model's size? Studio Scale is what I was thinking of. In the case of CGI designed only,.. that is where just any large scale will do.

As usual in our conversations,.. you have me excited about this. :D

40. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

I'd love a gunship next..then an Arc 170.

41. REL

REL Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 19 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]1284130[/snapback]</div>
    Here's a pic of the studio model, looks like it's about 4 feet long.

[​IMG]

42. bwize

bwize Well-Known Member

Hey Steve, I totaly meant no disrespect by what I said. I did say that what you had was beautiful afterall. Like you said, there are some die hard shuttle fans out here, myself included. Sure didn't intend on * anybody off.

Bryan

43. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jestefarean @ Jul 19 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]1284170[/snapback]</div>
    I would also very much like to have a 1/24 scale ARC-170 sitting next to my CC X-wing displays. It would be HUGE...

And the gunship.... that would be amazingly HUGE in 1/24 scale.

1/24 scale is a very good scale for CGI fighters and troop carriers. I would even love to see the idea resurrected on the EpIII Jedi Starfighet... the ETA in 1/24 scale.

So Richard,... as we have excitedly discussed,.. I would be up for each of these.

44. Boxster

Oh sweet. Instead of simply one, there will be 3. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I agreed on all the choices.

B

Oh, I missed out on the ETA. That is a MUST. Another fantastic choice.

B

45. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Here here. i second that for the 170 and the Eta 2. in 1/24

46. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I think all of the above will be on the hit list, but for now the Defiant is the winner.

Richard will be building one for me to be complete by the end of the year.

47. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Now all you need is a thimble-sized Runabout to fly up the impulse engine.

I forget which DS9 episode it was that they went on their 'Fantastic Journey' thru the bowels of the Defiant....

48. Boxster

Wait, isn't ETA in 1/24 the size of the AMT or Revell's?

B