Kuhn Global - Poll #1

You mean a Studio Scale T Shuttle like this one? the body is almost 11" across.

168687149.jpg

168687157.jpg

Soon Kurt..... Soon ok maybe not that soon but in the works.

Steve

Awesome. Ok back to the drawing board for me but I'm very happy someone is making one. Will it be offered as a kit?

Working the details with the pattern maker. The Shuttle will be the last offering I think..

The next one from this pattern maker will be the ROTJ AT-ST... not the super giant one used for explosions but the one used for Go-Motion photography.

I'll post pics soon. They both will be a kit

ATST early fall. Shuttle first of the year.

Steve

LOLOL...ahhh man.... kewl Steve. THAT IS AWESOME...

I am there when it is complete. Just email me man. LOL.. sorry to have forced a reveal. I really didn't mean too. I had no idea this was in the works,.. or at least I forgot :confused

In any case..count me in Steve.

Well then.... BACK TO THE POLLS. :D

I am on the phone with Richard right now...

Since nobody really went for the ARC-170, and only 2 for the Republic Gunship,.. I would like to add 4th and 5th poll selections for quickies...

4.) From Star Trek Insurrection - A 1/24 Scale Federation Scout Ship that Data attacked with. One of my favs.

5.) Studio Scale U.S.S. Defiant from DS9...also one of my favs.

Well, I still vote for the gunship, it has never been done in model form just in CG?
but i`m just a newb, so what do i know ha. :lol

Well, my vote is still the Shuttle. I hate to be the first to state this, but.....

The studio scale that swpropmaker is working on, while beautifuly done, is not true to the ROTJ filming miniature. The proportions look more like the Ertl kit which is based off the full scale set piece. I prefer the sleek, elegant lines of the effects minature myself. One could take the Kenner/Hasbro toy and convert it into a pretty faithful studio scale kit. Don't believe me, look at the article linked below.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/lambdashape.html

I agree, the Kenner toy is by far the most accurate "proportionally" to the filming mini, ive tried a few times to bag one on ebay, but they do fetch some high prices here and there. It is one on my to do list though, the sleeker look is by far more visually appealing than the somewhat stumpy MPC/ live set shape, and by accurizing the toy it would in the long run work out cheaper and get the builder closer to the miniatures design.

Well,.. gathering from the notes directly on the pics,.. I don't believe Steve intends this to be a final product...this is not even a prototype.. just a form to be worked on at this stage. I have seen Steve's final products and I know this is NOT what it would be. It is shown here just to be made aware that he is looking at the project for future production.

I just got off the phone with him and he confirmed this. This is waaaaayyyyyy in the infant stages and not even being looked at right now. He's talking probably a year before even looking at it again. So everyone ....chill... lol... it was only posted for knowledge that it is being done in the future. ;)

Ok, fellow rivet counters.. as one of you kitbashing eagle eyes have pointed out the shuttle in the picture is not exact to the filming minature. The pictures are of the first build a friend of mine did. It is based upon a blown up version of the ERTL kit. He shared them with me in hopes I could help make it better. Not bad considering the starting point IMHO.

This version was NEVER inteneded to be the master pattern. I posted them just showing that a shuttle had been attempted before. I have contacted him and we have shared ideas on the construct of the Shuttle using actual kit parts.

Like I said before my focus is on other Studio Scale craft for now. Getting TIES out, Probe Droids, Molding a Escape Pod ect.

This was a project we were going to do after the studio Scale AT-ST was finished.

If you guys have a builder and the acurate kit part information to start one now, I say go for it. One less for me to help build. :p

I'm sure there are die hard Shuttle fans out there that have already mapped out all the correct kit parts and have the reference photos needed to recrate this craft. In the world of studio scale reproduction it's all in the accurate details. Lots of additional kits were used on the ROTJ minatures more than 5 or 6 years worth.

It will take a group effort to get it right. Gather reference, research, find and start identifing all the parts, then locate the parts, producing parts needed for construction. Luckly the Shuttle does not require lets say a Y Wing level if kitparts but if you look close there are some pretty decient areas required to be broken down and Identified. Using the correct kit parts will make the final Shuttle size accurate. It is the way to go.

So build away... if it turns out 1/2 as good as the the big E I'm sure everyone will be happy. :thumbsup

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>(swpropmaker @ Jul 19 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]1284018[/snapback]</div>
Ok, fellow rivet counters.. as one of you kitbashing eagle eyes have pointed out the shuttle in the picture is not exact to the filming minature. The pictures are of the first build a friend of mine did. It is based upon a blown up version of the ERTL kit. He shared them with me in hopes I could help make it better. Not bad considering the starting point IMHO.

This version was NEVER inteneded to be the master pattern. I posted them just showing that a shuttle had been attempted before. I have contacted him and we have shared ideas on the construct of the Shuttle using actual kit parts.

Like I said before my focus is on other Studio Scale craft for now. Getting TIES out, Probe Droids, Molding a Escape Pod ect.

This was a project we were going to do after the studio Scale AT-ST was finished.

If you guys have a builder and the acurate kit part information to start one now, I say go for it. One less for me to help build. :p

I'm sure there are die hard Shuttle fans out there that have already mapped out all the correct kit parts and have the reference photos needed to recrate this craft. In the world of studio scale reproduction it's all in the accurate details. Lots of additional kits were used on the ROTJ minatures more than 5 or 6 years worth.

It will take a group effort to get it right. Gather reference, research, find and start identifing all the parts, then locate the parts, producing parts needed for construction. Luckly the Shuttle does not require lets say a Y Wing level if kitparts but if you look close there are some pretty decient areas required to be broken down and Identified. Using the correct kit parts will make the final Shuttle size accurate. It is the way to go.

So build away... if it turns out 1/2 as good as the the big E I'm sure everyone will be happy. :thumbsup

Steve
[/b]
You are a class act Steve... good man. :)

You know I am on your list for EVERYTHING. LOL. :thumbsup :p :thumbsup

That AT-ST sounds AWESOME. Not to mention other secret squirrel stuff you have going on. Count me in. I am soooooo there. :D

So maybe Richard will be doing the Shuttle after all?..

I've been thinking this over for a few hours now.

I think what you've posted on the shuttle looks awesome as far as construction, details etc. If it's not exactly like the studio model because of the reference he used I don't doubt for a second he couldn't make it spot on with the proper references.

Since he's already taken the time and money to do such a wonderful job that looks outstanding then I think he deserves to finish it, and I just wouldn't feel right stepping in when someone has already invested so much in the subject.

There's PLENTY of other subjects out there, and I change my mind on what I want to make next about every 10 minutes. So me wanting to make a Tydirium was an out of the blue type thing, in fact every time I talk to Kurt we go over the different subjects that can be done and go into overload on where to start.

Personally the ships I really really want to make, because they're my favorites of all time are the Ent E, DS9 Defiant and a Mon Calimari Cruiser. I would like to make something simple to tide me over between those huge projects that take months and months to complete, that's why I'm looking to do a fighter etc.

Since Kurt has me doing a few build ups, a base for his X-Wing's and Y-Wing's and a sculpture for his wife I think I'll just cancel any plans for a simple ship and move on to a studio scale Defiant since that's one of the most kickass Star Trek ships out there...almost Star Wars worthy :D

There seems to be a fair bit of controversy about the size of the Defiant, but Ex Astris Scientia's assesment is 120 meters. So I was thinking of 1/144 scale at 33".

Richard... the Defiant is a great choice.

I think it is always a great idea to give any other master's project a wide birth (did I spell that correct? :confused ) as a rule anyway, but it was nice of Steve to give the OK anyway. Thanks again Steve. I will be in line for it when it is complete.

Richard,.. what was the Defiant filming model's size? Studio Scale is what I was thinking of. In the case of CGI designed only,.. that is where just any large scale will do.

As usual in our conversations,.. you have me excited about this. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back