Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

Does anyone have a good recommendations for any replicas of Kolchak's hat, or a similar one that could have a correct band added that would fit a 25" head? I have terrible luck when it comes to buying hats. Since I was a kid, I've had to buy adult large-size hats.

The hat band would have to be made custom, and you will search eternally for an off-the-shelf hat that matches.
In the end, you might have to buy one from Esty and pay their price. (use title of ad as search terms)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 70
I bought one of those hats on Etsy a few years ago. The hat band and basic hat are really nice, the blocking was very soft so the crown detail isn't very good on mine. Overall, I do like the hat, it's always on display in my house and have worn it a number of times.

Does anyone have a good recommendations for any replicas of Kolchak's hat, or a similar one that could have a correct band added that would fit a 25" head? I have terrible luck when it comes to buying hats. Since I was a kid, I've had to buy adult large-size hats.
Searched "vented straw trilby" on Etsy and found this for $18:
il_1588xN.4653672558_rlbr.jpg

Fidra Natural Straw Trilby Fedora With Black Band 3 Sizes - Etsy (10 left!)

Some ribbon (this is $5.50 for two yards on Etsy, Get the 2 inch.)

il_1588xN.4901832079_8hqc.jpg

2 Yards Red Blue Craft Webbing Bold Wide Stripe Thick Sturdy - Etsy

- Get the hat.
- Re-shape the crown from fedora style to trilby style (check YouTube for how to re-shape it with steam).
- Get the ribbon (it's used for "boater" straw hats--Royal Horse Guards Regimental, I believe) and sew it or hot glue it on.

The whole thing should be under $50 (about $24 for hat and band, plus whatever shipping is). Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I did the metric conversion--the XL size on this hat is 59cm, but a 25" head is 63cm. Steaming will allow you to stretch the size of the hat a bit, but 4cm difference is a lot, so this might be small for you, LeoCor! You'll have to decide if you want to take a shot with it.

Last edited:
If you are brave enough to venture into the downtown LA garment district, you might be able to find a hat from one of the vendors there. It is probably the actual source of the original hat and the shooting location of some of the episodes.

How about this wrench thrown in the mix…..

I just watched the Night Stalker movie on Svengoolie (a funny guy at times)….

How ever you can access this movie by stream, dvd, etc. ….look at the scene where K discovers the bottles filled with blood in the vampires refrigerator at his home.

He proceeds to take his camera out…..step through that scene slowly or frame by frame …..you will see the brand name in part …on the front of the camera.

From what I can see …. It’s clear to my bloodshot eyes that the brand name ends in ON as in either NIKON or CANNON…..

I’m putting my 2 cents on NIKON…

PEACE

Last edited:
How about this wrench thrown in the mix…..

I just watched the Night Stalker movie on Svengoolie (a funny guy at times)….

How ever you can access this movie by stream, dvd, etc. ….look at the scene where K discovers the bottles filled with blood in the vampires refrigerator at his home.

He proceeds to take his camera out…..step through that scene slowly or frame by frame …..you will see the brand name in part …on the front of the camera.

From what I can see …. It’s clear to my bloodshot eyes that the brand name ends in ON as in either NIKON or CANNON…..

I’m putting my 2 cents on NIKON…

PEACE
Definitely Nikon.

1697987835142.png

Everything needed for a fan film. Have him in a chopper with Ted Fujita with him photographing glyphs left behind a tornado’s wake in the 1974 Super Outbreak

If it can be made once it can be made again. This will need to be ta team effort, since most of us do not have the resources to complete a whole custom figure.

The suit maybe available on its own, if not the whole figure already suited and accessorized.

Here’s MB’s Facebook page featuring the suit……

Kolchak 1/6 Suit

I don’t have a FB account…but the webpage is still viewable

It’s possible you can’t buy the completely assembled figure because it was privately commissioned (licensing?) ….but it might be sold in piece parts through MB for you to assemble yourself…

Peace

Last edited:
Here’s a possible Kolchak Figure Piecing Project for those with money to burn…..unlike me.

Perhaps the following has already been mentioned before in earlier pages of this thread….anywho…

A company called NECA puts out all sorts of figures covering movies etc….

It turns out a Kolchak head sculpt is numero uno in acquiring parts before attempting to go further.

NECA has 3 figures which use the Darren McGavin head sculpt….they come from the movie “A Christmas Story”

McGavin’s character is referred to as the “Old Man”

The 3 figs pictured below, come in …7” (1/10 Scale) ….. 8” (1/9 Scale) ……12” (1/6 Scale)

The 8” (1/9 Scale) is top left two pics….this figure has two sculpted interchangeable heads and removable cloth clothing and removable shoes (I believe).

The 12” (1/6 Scale) top right pic has a removable head (I believe) but the clothing is molded solid plastic and unremovable.

The same with the 7” (1/10 Scale) clothing is molded solid plastic and unremovable.

Although the 8” has the attributes of two head sculpts …… getting 1/9 Scale pieces would be difficult unless you craft your own.

Now with the 12” …..if the head can be popped off (which most articulated figures can) then there is a sizable market of 1/6 scale piece parts including articulating bodies…clothes and accessories…..for instance….a straw hat to use can be purchased from dollhouse 1/6 pieces….there are other manufactured 1/6 scale stuff out there…..sneakers etc….even clothing….clothing that can be dyed to colors needed.

Once again crafting skills would help…..it won’t be cheap $$$ when it’s done…..but you’ll like what you’ve done.

It will be a one of a kind!

Good Luck

Peace

eBay ….Etsy
FCE988A3-04B5-4B9C-A34A-DB4C459B1BEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Being something of a watch enthusiast I was curious about the watches shown in this thread.

There is what appears to be the correct one on ebay USA quite cheaply just now, though in need of service:

And another even cheaper one which appears to have the correct stainless steel case, but would need a dial or movement swap; the correct dial appears to be easier to obtain in gold cases?

eg.

That could be re-cased, or the plating buffed off or nickel plated.

Being something of a watch enthusiast I was curious about the watches shown in this thread.

There is what appears to be the correct one on ebay USA quite cheaply just now, though in need of service:

And another even cheaper one which appears to have the correct stainless steel case, but would need a dial or movement swap; the correct dial appears to be easier to obtain in gold cases?

eg.

That could be re-cased, or the plating buffed off or nickel plated.

Hey.. thanks for the tip…..i bought the top find. I figure I could use parts off of it, in case my working one breaks.

Who knows….maybe all it needs is a battery..

Peace

Interesting tidbit…..

We all know that Chris Carter creator of X-Files was inspired Kolchak’s Night Stalker series……..we also know that a short scene character on an X-File episode (season and episode escapes me for the moment) was modeled after Kolchak…..

F20B27C8-8B7F-43B4-8C8A-DF4F505510B5.jpeg

Well just recently, I watched a re-run of an X-Files episode that I had not focused on before…..it was an episode that features Darren McGavin appearing in moments of the episode and narrating throughout the story of the episode. It struck me that his narrating was as if the episode was written as a Kolchak episode. I was amused……..

The story is not bad……check it out if your able to…..

I don’t have a direct link to the episode to stream…..but it is available by different streamers…..some with cost.

1C742EA5-9D05-44C1-A375-BA44C9E02046.jpeg

Enjoy…..
Peace

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit…..

We all know that Chris Carter creator of X-Files was inspired Kolchak’s Night Stalker series……..we also know that a short scene character on an X-File episode (season and episode escapes me for the moment) was modeled after Kolchak…..

View attachment 1766083

Well just recently, I watched a re-run of an X-Files episode that I had not focused on before…..it was an episode that features Darren McGavin appearing in moments of the episode and narrating throughout the story of the episode. I struck me that his narrating was as if the episode was written as a Kolchak episode. I was amused……..

The story is not bad……check it out if your able to…..

I don’t have a direct link to the episode to stream…..but it is available by different streamers…..some with cost.

View attachment 1766084

Enjoy…..
Peace
Carter wanted Kolchak to be the father of the X-files, McGavin said no, hence the character being renamed in that episode.

For as much as he hated what the network did to his Series, It seems McGavin was still protective of it in later years

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back