Klingon Vor'cha, with actual lasers!!

modelerdave

Sr Member
Yes, actual small red lasers (the green lasers I could find were all too large to fit into the ship) that will fire from the front and rear weapons emitters using the Batwing machine gun effect from the Hobbylink International HLI FX board. I need to use something like a machine gun effect because even these small lasers get very hot if they're on continuously for even ten seconds, so a short staccato burst works much better for keeping them cool.

Impulse engine light test.
GktM8yph.jpg

Test of front laser firing. It looks so much cooler in person!
U7g803xh.jpg

I shamelessly copied Boyd from TrekWorks ambient light idea for under the weapons control center, or whatever that thing is.
cRO3m04h.jpg

The rear-firing laser mounted in the center.
YwUTHhBh.jpg

LED light strips inside and control board mounted but not connected. I drilled out all of the windows very carefully and will be filling them with .05 fiber optic cables.
Y58NtcBh.jpg

Another shot of the forward section. I added two window lights on each side.
nISmPwfh.jpg

Fixing seams!
dA736SQh.jpg

XiQ4gvwh.jpg

Quick light test. There's masking over the windows. They are much more red in person. And of course light blocking isn't done yet.
VAvkRffh.jpg

The paint scheme. After the primer I used a teal-sort of color as a first layer, and sprayed some other panels with a dark tan. I'm using Mission Models colors for this entire thing but I don't have them in front of me to tell you the exact colors. After masking some of the panels I airbrushed the final hull color, which is a bit more vibrant green. Here you can see the very subtle difference between the teal and green. I plan to do this for a lot of the panels on the wings and head of the ship.
AwMT2pCh.jpg

Final paint color with the masks off. I need to do some minor touch up but I'm liking how this is coming out, even though it looks fairly horrible at this magnification(!!). I'm not worrying about the studio model or design guide.
TqLTsXgh.jpg

And the masking continues! That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by.
jmXjQ2Wh.jpg

A short painting update. I'm liking how the panels are coming out. It's very subtle but looks good to my eye. I hope the glass and clear coats don't knock them down too much.

I decided to redo this piece and change the color of the lighter panel. I decided I'm only going to do a few of these brighter ones.
obRsLHXh.jpg

TUhTmUkh.jpg

SJZJGtYh.jpg

jxLgwVrh.jpg

ItE1FUqh.jpg

I haven't had much time to work on it this week but I did get some minor painting done last night.

Added some red details to the engine nacelles. I'm going for a subtle look. You can also see the beige squares on the neck, which need a lot of touching up before I'm happy with them.
Ze3rsopl.jpg

The green and teal colors on the top side of the wing, plus the beige squares and some small red details. All of these need some minor touch ups.
dRKMVIDl.jpg

Bottom of the ship. Same comments regarding touching up.
pr83xiNl.jpg

Wider view of the top. The triangular module is not glued in place. I also added some small red details to it, and a few to the head of the ship.
9dtMjDTl.jpg

That's it for now. My goal for tonight is to finish the touch ups, then get a gloss coat on to protect the paint. The weekend will be final wiring and assembly, and fixing seams where the wings and nacelles meet. At least that's the plan!!

Sorry for the long delay. I'm done(ish!). I need to convert the lights to wall power because there's just too much draw for a 9 volt. The LED strips start to dim almost immediately. But the build itself is done.

I need to get smoke somehow to make the laser beam itself visible. I'll add a few more shots once I have that figured out.

2eJYPtrh.jpg

gyYWzM6h.jpg

vFsxTFTh.jpg

grRtQF2h.jpg

aOy8lGch.jpg

jvNXPITh.jpg

0zyLnwKh.jpg

fKGVVFxh.jpg

6VyAcFNh.jpg

pPcsHoBh.jpg

J6ndinnh.jpg

7pkzzC8h.jpg

A few more pics and a video where you can actually see the laser beams! These were still surprisingly hard pics to take. I had to buy a vape pen to generate enough smoke! lol

e3sSR52h.jpg

Xpq9sJ4h.jpg

ufYTZuHh.jpg

y36N6wOh.jpg

JLzFdyTh.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back