King Kong 1933

I primed the head, which revealed a bunch of tiny air bubbles I didn't know were in the casting.
20190403_183314.jpg

And I sculpted onto the feet.
20190403_183415.jpg

I also bought the fur, but I don't think I'll apply any of it until I paint the head, chest, hands, and feet. I found this photo of animator David Allen and one of his King Kongs, and I really like the color scheme he chose, so I'm going to shoot for that.
primevals5.png

Cool! So will the jaw be able to move, or is just a solid head with one expression?

Solid. In hindsight I probably could have given him a little more emotion, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out. I may do some oil washes later on to make his eye sockets darker, making him look a little more menacing.

Solid. In hindsight I probably could have given him a little more emotion, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out. I may do some oil washes later on to make his eye sockets darker, making him look a little more menacing.
You could also have sculpted it so that it looked like a real gorilla, but then it wouldn't have looked like the 1933 version of Kong. I think you captured the likeness very well and you should be happy with the results.

Painted pretty much everything that needed to be painted, except the teeth. I'm going to wait for the pinkish coat to cure so I don't strip off any of it when I do paint the teeth.

20190417_204732.jpg

I'm close to the finish line, and in the future I'll probably break out a better camera so I can get some higher res photos. Thanks for looking!

I've been busy lately but I do have some minor updates on the build.

20190419.jpg

You can see how I'm doing the fur application, where the leg on the left has the fur trimmed. It's a very slow process, but hopefully soon I'll have some more time to power through it.

20190420.jpg
20190421.jpg

HI Joe cs,
I admire anyone who takes on a scratch build and this is something VERY different I like the way you have got things moving and can not wait to see the KING finished, good luck

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

I have been watching your progress on this, Joe. I was really curious on how you were going to handle the fur. Applying it in small patches seems to be working. I like the chest piece.

I have been watching your progress on this, Joe. I was really curious on how you were going to handle the fur. Applying it in small patches seems to be working. I like the chest piece.

The fur has definitely been a challenge, and the faux fabric is tough to work with, which doesn't help. I initially tried making patterns that would take care of large sections of his body, but I am neither skilled nor patient enough to make that work well. There's probably a better method, and I haven't fully researched how they did it on the real puppet.

Thanks for the kind words, by the way!

More work on the fur.

DSCN186.JPG

Shortly after taking this photo the model fell off the table (not the first time this has happened). Nothing was really damaged, I just need to touch up the paint in some spots. But I am running into the problem that the model is just too heavy for the armature to safely support everything, so I may have to make a display (Empire State Building or something else) to hold him up.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back