Kialna's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Smaug the Magnificent

Re: The Hobbit - Smaug the magnificent

Kialna, chapeau! It looks amazing! The things you can do with Worbla... And you just use regular acrylic paint?

So I have been playing detective (har har har did u see what I did there?) and contacting PostNL and DHL. PostNL has been searching ALL DAY for my package from the RingLord, and couldn't find anything. They are willing to ask Canada post. But sometimes Canada post goes to DHL. I hope DHL will reply to me and maybe find my package.
The package is insured, so they would probably resend my order and consider the package 'lost' if neither has it. So that's a pretty big setback, which delays my progress a lot.

On the other hand; this saturday we will obtain the fabric for the legs. Mum will drive to Helmond to get 3 metres of it, while I go to the market and find some non-stretch and stretch fabric which isn't nearly as expensive. This weekend, I may have actual dragon legs...maybe.

I obtained the fabric and did some treatment to it to make it look more realistic. I think it looks great!

DJjUtJHl.jpg

eXXRYszl.jpg

bfvK6Apl.jpg

fShBDYyl.jpg

Maybe several layers, not sure yet. But it is a great improvement from the flawless red.

Well then. I am not too happy with the skinning of the feet, so I might redo them. The general shape for the legs however, is good. The lower legs need some more stuffing probably. The upperlegs/thighs are rather satisfactory. However, I have hit the point where I don't want to work on it, just wear it. I have to keep going though. *motivates self*

XyMxb9rl.png

gC0ycjVl.png

tVMCBRNl.png

lZiw2Nll.png

DpmZLHdl.png

Attachments

• XyMxb9rl.png
    XyMxb9rl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 104
  • tVMCBRNl.png
    tVMCBRNl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 102
  • tVMCBRNl.png
    tVMCBRNl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 99
  • tVMCBRNl.png
    tVMCBRNl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 103
  • gC0ycjVl.png
    gC0ycjVl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 98
  • gC0ycjVl.png
    gC0ycjVl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 103
  • XyMxb9rl.png
    XyMxb9rl.png
  • XyMxb9rl.png
    XyMxb9rl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 97
  • gC0ycjVl.png
    gC0ycjVl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 95
  • DpmZLHdl.png
    DpmZLHdl.png
  • DpmZLHdl.png
    DpmZLHdl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 105
  • DpmZLHdl.png
    DpmZLHdl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 106
  • lZiw2Nll.png
    lZiw2Nll.png
    503 bytes · Views: 97
  • lZiw2Nll.png
    lZiw2Nll.png
    503 bytes · Views: 96
  • lZiw2Nll.png
    lZiw2Nll.png
    503 bytes · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:

yTjNVrfl.jpg

First test with the eyes. These will not be used, but I learnt a lot making them.

[PANIC MODE ON]

I STILL ONLY HAVE 18 DAYS, IF I COUNT MY FREE DAYS!

I might take some days off from work to work on this thing. We're going to do this quickly now! The Scalemail has been lost and it will be a miracle if I would get that done in time. So instead, I might go for the temporary option: get more of the red scale fabric, treat it, and make some kind of gilet.

I'm going to have to make a planning. But I am IN NEED OF HELP!

I want dragonskin as a toplayer on the skull, but is it necessary to cast the head with formsil or any other kind of silicone/alginate/thing to then make a skin from dragonskin? Is it possible to make a mold with just plaster? Because it's a one time thing? Then; what kind of dragonskin will I need? And how do I paint it? I have checked some tutorials on it, but I am a bit uncertain.

I am also in need of help for LED-strips. They are 12V and I need them wirelessly powered. I am guessing I will need at least two 9V batteries, but I am not sure. I might ask the local guy for help (where I bought them. He knows I make costumes)

And then at last, but not at least; I need to connect two servos to my Arduino Micro. I think there are tutorials available, but if anyone can help me out, I'd be glad.

[PANIC MODE OFF]

This is really coming together! I wish I could be of more help to your questions, but even though I'm not, I'm stopping in to offer support!

You can do it! :D Can't wait to see the final results.

Wow, looking really great so far! I really like the effect you've achieved with the dry brushing, it really looks fantastic.

So today I started on the wings and made the head ready for molding.

x33pyOvl.png

uZFGNTql.png

tarlfvjl.png

k3BW9Dul.png

8vnl4dRl.png

SvLleBQl.jpg

Z15ZjYWl.jpg

FXITUXAl.jpg

3UDIGv9l.jpg

Last edited:

I have no experience at all when it comes to advanced leds or arduino setups, but I cheer you on non the less.

Are you molding the eyes yourself?

If that is the case, I've heard that that particular process is very hard to get right without some serious experience, and if at all possible to do without breaking your budget I'd say you might be better served by ordering a pair of blanks from some online store that has a good reputation with timely deliveries. That way you can focus on the other stuff and learn about molding eyes when you're not rushing to finish in time.

It's hard to tell from the image, but it looks like you painted directly on the front. Is this true or is it a trick of the light?

There seems to be the possibility of painting on a sheet of paper and then attaching that to the backside of the eye. If you have access to a laser printer you can also print the eyes in the right scale, but that probably doesn't work as well with the leds. One possible way of doing it could be to print the colored parts on a thin paper and lay a dark piece on top of it to form the pupil.

If you decide to go with printing I can create a flat template for his eye. Just say the word and you'll have it made.

Sidenote: I'm not trying to discourage you from molding your own eyes. It's just that you have a lot of miles of work ahead of you to make this happen on schedule, and I think your attention is best put trying to work some magic on those wings, the head mold and the new skin parts.

Yes I mold the eyes myself. They are not painted on the front, but on the back. It's actually not all that much work.

It's just getting a mold, pour in clear casting resin, let it cure, paint it on the back, let that dry, add another layer of clear resin, put in the leds when the resin is sticky while curing, wait until it's cured. When cured, sand the eye to remove imperfections (which doesn't take long) and keep sanding until it's smooth. Then add varnish. They're clear again.

It's a few minute's work, excluding the wait. Although I must say this resin cures rather fast.

Last edited:

FINALLY I got my Scalemail.

What happened; the mail service failed to give me notice of the package. It had been brought to the post office (this rarely happens here, they tend to come at least THREE TIMES and leave a note every time, with the last note telling me to pick it up at the post office). Since I didn't get any notice, I didn't know it was there. The ringlord shipped a 2nd package which arrived within a WEEK! (That's how fast it should've been, and then my mail would've been finished by now.)

So the Ringlord recieved the 1st package back, and I filed an official complaint to PostNL. Anyway, I've got therapy in the week now. :lol

kzA1hbAl.jpg

So I got tired of the latex not doing what I wanted it to do. So I ordered dragon skin, small and superfast, to practice on the gloves, before I do the entire head.

Best. Decision. Ever.

They still need some work and refinement, but hardly as much as the latex.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397258273.856217.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397258289.618896.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397258304.118387.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397258323.849371.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397258341.308816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was certain that I had answered, but I guess the internet ate the post.

When you describe the process of making the eyes I feel like I've overestimated the complexity of that craft.
What do you use for a mold, and how big of a problem are bubbles?

Nice to see that your package arrived, but it's a bummer that much time was lost on something you couldn't affect.

As for the hands, looking at the first photo of the dragonskin gloves I have to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing the head cast.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back