Key from Return to Oz

I commissioned Mike Rush to do one for me earlier this year which he also offers via shapeways. It is fantastic.

IMG00081-20100210-1319.jpg

Mr Rush's Emporium by LocationScout03 on Shapeways

Ooo! I'll have to get one of his, too. Mike and I had discussed the key a long time ago. I was going to machine it on my 3-axis mill, but decided to try my hand at building the model in Rhino.

I'm glad to see he finished it. It looks great!

Pick a key, any key......

One or Two or Three or Four or Five
links above to org pics.....

five%20keys.jpg

The first is suppose to be SA from the escape from the wheelers scene...
I think the second one, the "black detail" one from Juno's OP looks quite like it.
The third one, I don't know what happened when they gold plated it. If it's the same draw as the black detail one, where did the detail go?
The fourth one, looks pretty good except the top part of the notched key part looks too narrow. What materials is that one?
The fifth, the cast/crew key.

And, yeah, where do you get one of those emeralds.....
I did some goggling and ebaying last night, couldn't find anything.
Looked for something LARGE, like a paperweight, or big novelty gems.......
Crazy--emerald cut CLEAR crystal/acrylic OR diamond cut EMERALD crystal/acrylic--if we could just reverse the colors there!?!

Oh, there was this one --expensive, sold out and not quite long enough......
If anyone finds anything suitable, please post the link. Otherwise, Juno, you're gonna have to figure out how to make the emerald and make us a run for posting that pic and making us want it!

Shylaah

Was the length of the keys different?

If there is any difference, it would be very minimum.

I'm a bit confused by your post. I see how comparing all keys to the screen-used one can be useful, but linking everything back to the same thread, which is this one?

About green crystal, contact Hydin. He has a crystal manufacturer who makes his Superman Kryptonite Crystals. Heck, Queen Momby's ruby key could be made, too.

>>>clip<<<
I'm a bit confused by your post. I see how comparing all keys to the screen-used one can be useful, but linking everything back to the same thread, which is this one? >>>clip<<<

I linked back to the originals pic because they are bigger and belong to someone else. And yeah, all but the SA one is in this thread, but some people don't like digging backwards in a thread (me, for one), and it will make it easier for me to find later on cause it's in one of my post.....

Shylaah

>>clip<<

five%20keys.jpg

>>clip<<

I received my OZ keys today!! So AWESOME!! Can't believe I actually have one now!!!!

I didn't really like any of Shapeways metal choices offered for this key, so I ordered them in the Black Detail mainly because the description for it said it would be quite smooth.

Now I need some recommendations of what to use for a finish on them. I would like them to be an antique gold or bronze like in the first key in the picture above. One is for a gift, and the one I keep will be for the OZ section of my Christmas tree, neither will be subjected to any abuse.....

Shylaah

No, I hadn't. Do you mean the real sheet kind? Wouldn't that be hard to get into the nooks and crannies? I've seen a 'liquid leaf' that you paint on, but don't know anything about it.

Shylaah

yay for shapeways! I love these guys!

this is your first model? welcome!

check out my stuff there: www.shapeways.com/shops/baltimore

I can't wait til they come to nyc

i use them multiple times a week. theres a few hundred bucks worth of prints on my desk here next to me

Yes, the OZ keys are my first model. I also ordered with them a spirally Christmas ornament to fulfill the minimum $ purchase requirement. Very interesting concept, very interesting stuff and I can certainly see the potential for it to become addicting!!

Shylaah

Yes, the OZ keys are my first model. I also ordered with them a spirally Christmas ornament to fulfill the minimum $ purchase requirement. Very interesting concept, very interesting stuff and I can certainly see the potential for it to become addicting!!

Shylaah

Yes yes! buy more stuff =) I'll make custom things for people and send them there.

But, I was asking juno if this was his first model uploaded to shapeways, since I saw no others in his shop

The key to Oz could only be forged in a green flame!
6252334353_57895f95a9_o.jpg

That's a pic of my friend casting brass keys for me. This is an old dentist's centrifugal casting machine. The arm is wound a couple of times like a clock and locked in place. The round soupcan-shaped piece is the plaster mold. The mold is connected to the crucible where pellets of brass sit. The brass is heated by torch, and the arm is released. The rotation forces the metal into every little crevice of the mold.

The keys come out all tarnished and coated with a copper oxide. In the case of these keys, they also were missing a bit of material on the end. This could be due to any number of things, from the speed of the arm, to the temperature of the metal.

Here's what the cast keys look like.

6252496598_abb807d4ff_z.jpg

The key to Oz could only be forged in a green flame!

Love that!!!

Those look great even if they have bits missing.
So is your friend using the lost wax process or is it just a plaster mold?
Is the mold made from the Shapeways key?
.....and when will these be available in the junkyard : )

Shylaah

Yes, the process is lost wax. The wax keys are encased in plaster and then burned out in a furnace.

The mold is made from my Shapeways key. I put this batch up in the junkyard.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back