Return to Oz (1985)- Fabricated and Real Props- Identification and Builds

Leaves of the Lunch Pail Tree

In post #6, I learned while reviewing the screenshots that the leaves on the tree are, in fact, napkins. Just never crossed my mind. Dorothy even tucks one into her shirt while eating one of the "fruits."

44.PNG
45.PNG
46.PNG

My first question was: real cloth / linen or disposable paper napkins? I quickly answered my own question, though. Production would never have splurged on real napkins for this scene, and besides, you can clearly see them fluttering in the wind. This ease of movement is only possible with paper.

Here is a closeup of the third picture. You can see this decorative embossed design, which is still present on modern napkins.

Close Up Napkin.jpg

So, a little searching, and I picked up these dinner and cocktail napkins (GFS brand, Gordon Choice) in the color Jade Green. The actual color is much better in person, I just had bad lighting.

20230415_151355.jpg

This closeup of a corner shows the exact same embossing design.

20230415_151403.jpg

And here are some folded roughly into the shape on the tree. This was harder than it looks, as the napkins want to pop back into their original shape, so I had to add some extra folds. The unfolded dimensions of a cocktail napkin are 10" x 10" and the dinner napkins are 15" x 16.5". The cocktail ones, being perfect squares, fold a little too symmetrically, while the dinner ones do not, as they are slightly rectangular. For this reason I think the movie tree uses the dinner napkins.

20230415_151455.jpg
20230415_151547.jpg

Another simple addition checked off of my list.

Last edited:
Prop Store's upcoming June 28-30 auction has the Nome King's bear head stirrup cup listed again, this time with correct information and another reference photo, showing the stop motion, rock style bear cup "though this style cup did not ultimately appear in the final cut." I attribute this adjustment to this thread- I feel they found the better info here when re-researching and made corrections. If true, I feel like that's a win!

They also have another / the same again vac-formed Lunch Pail Tree Fruit that was up before.

Tik Tok's Royal Army of Oz Chest Emblem

It's been a bit, but another update for you all of the newest addition to my collection. My daughter is currently 7 months old, so progress on basically everything is slow going at the moment. On Tik Tok's chest, right over where a human heart would be, is a presumably solid metal (copper) emblem indicating that he is a member of (or the only member of) the Royal Army of Oz.

6.PNG

According to Google Translate, "Semper Honore" means "Always with Honor." A very fitting slogan for a dedicated protector of Dorothy and friends.

As with virtually all things I can lay my eyes on in this movie, it has always captured my interest. The big O and Z, reminiscent of the Key to the Old House / Tik Tok's room and the old, patinated metal look.

They gave out metal casts off of hero emblems upon completion of the film as crew gifts, which occasionally show up on ebay for a few thousand dollars. These are shiny and new, being based on the end coronation scene, when Tik Tok is all shiny and polished himself. I'm not a fan of this look. Not only am I not able to afford it, but don't like the new appearance, and the castings are pockmarked with airholes and sloppy errors. See the lettering in "semper" below.

Return-to-Oz-Return-to-Oz-Tik-Toks-Badge-1.jpg

I found and purchased an excellent 3D model on Cults 3D, and printed it out. I found the precise dimensions in one of the above mentioned ebay listings of a crew gift version (same size as hero) to be 8.5 cm tall by 7 cm wide. The depth is unknown, but I did 1/4" at it's highest. Mixing measurement units, I know. Too bad.

Here is the printed emblem before any finishing work.

20230825_194116.jpg

And spray painted. I used this Ace Hardware Metallic Antique Gold spray paint I had left over from my DaveP Luke Hero Saber paint job.

20230827_195103.jpg20230825_194509.jpg

And weathered to be more like old metal. I could not seem to get the lighting correct to actually show off the weathering in the photos, but it definitely is there. Sage Green, Burnt Sienna, and Black acrylic paint washes got it where I wanted it. This will be the paint scheme of my next few posts...

20230828_170254.jpg
20230828_170329.jpg
20230828_170336.jpg

Pick me up! Pick me up!

Tik Tok's Operating Instructions / Backplate

Next up on the agenda is the plate that is screwed onto Tik Tok's back, informing the user how to operate him- where to find the keys on his back to wind up his thinking, speaking, and action. These were cast in metal, and POSSIBLY given out as crew gifts. I'm seeing conflicting information online about that.

31f0f2693e767a328ffabe39ecde5405.jpg

Here is an unknown photographer who had the wonderful foresight to include a ruler next to the plate, seen mounted to the shiny coronation scene version of Tik Tok.

oz tik tok instructions.jpg

6.5" wide, and 4.25" at it's highest peak in the middle. Maybe 1/8" thick. Using this next picture, you can see that the plate itself is curved to sort of match the curvature of Tik Tok's spherical body. It doesn't quite look like it is a perfect curve, as there appears to be a bit of a gap in the middle between plate and body, but close enough. I don't think a shadow explains ALL of that dark area.

oz tik tok action key.jpg

As with the Royal Army emblem, this 3D file was also found on Cults3D. It's not a super perfect match, but it gets the job done. Minor adjustments would be nice- font is subtly different and spacings primarily. I still think it's a good model, though.

Here's hot off the printer

20230830_164218.jpg

And base coated. Same as before- Ace Hardware Metallic Antique Gold spray paint.

20230831_195146.jpg20230825_194509.jpg

And weathered. I like the look of this shot and coloration the best, so this was my inspiration.

tiktok2.jpg

Sorry, but again- photography is not in my wheelhouse, and I can't seem to take pictures that look like real life. But this is my final result. Gold, burnt sienna, and sage green acrylic paint gave me the patinated copper look I wanted.

20230905_202451.jpg

Some day when I learn how to make sand molds, I would love to cast this in actual copper. Hopefully someday, but this will look great on the shelf until then.

Always loved this guy! One more piece is complete.

"I am not alive, and never will be, thank goodness."

Nicely done! The weathering turned out awesome (And I agree with you, when given the choice between shiny and new and nicely weathered, gotta go with the charm of weathering).

Out of curiosity, would you theoretically able to heat and bend the print slightly to give it the same slight curve Tik tok's has?

Nicely done! The weathering turned out awesome (And I agree with you, when given the choice between shiny and new and nicely weathered, gotta go with the charm of weathering).

Out of curiosity, would you theoretically able to heat and bend the print slightly to give it the same slight curve Tik tok's has?
Thanks, shiny doesn't do it for me in most cases.

I probably could heat and bend it without issue. I don't know if it is a simple curve (like bending around a pipe) or a compound curve (bending on a sphere). Looks like a simple one to me, but for now I am content with this. Whenever I hope to make a metal one, I might try to curve it. Not until then, though. The curve is very minor- a 6.5" plate on a 3' sphere doesn't amount to much, but it is there.

Tik Tok's Winding Keys

Hot on the heels of his operating instructions, we have Tik Tok's winding keys. Thinking under left arm, walking / action middle of back, and speaking under right arm.

oz tik tok thinking key.jpgoz tik tok action key.jpgoz tik tok speaking key.jpg

Another big shout out to the unknown photographer who had the foresight to include a ruler to make a measurement against. The keys are much bigger than you may initially think, at about 3 7/8" wide, making the height about 1 7'8" tall, for the key part alone. The mounting and pivot point adds about another 1". They are double sided, each side being identical.

This was another Cults 3D file- these keys and the backplate came as 1 file. They did need drastically resized- if you assume the file is correct, they print out comically undersized, about 1" wide, or thereabouts. Each key prints in 6 pieces, and needs to be glued together. I'm really happy with how these turned out. Kudos to the model designer.

Same drill. A before shot, but not spray painted shot, as I forgot to do so. Oops, but nothing really new to see if you've been following along.

20230915_202252.jpg

Same paint scheme. Sprayed Antique Gold, acrylic black, burnt sienna, and sage green to match my previous Tik Tok parts. Again, didn't want shiny, and prefer the used look.

20230921_195346.jpg
20230921_195151.jpg

More Tik Tok for my shelves is always a great addition.

Jack: "If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?"

Dorothy: "It happens to people all the time, Jack."

Ha, I was going to ask if you had those on your "to-do" list! Would be cool if you could twist the keys and it would make a winding sound, I know I've seen mechanisms like that in kids toys but I have no idea how one would replicate it for a prop.

Ha, I was going to ask if you had those on your "to-do" list! Would be cool if you could twist the keys and it would make a winding sound, I know I've seen mechanisms like that in kids toys but I have no idea how one would replicate it for a prop.
The purchased 3D file has an option to mount the keys and backplate onto 1 "display" plate. I didn't like it, because that isn't where the keys are in relation to the instructions on Tik Tok himself. Anyway, if you glue the outer ring of the key base to the display plate, and assemble the keys, built into the model pieces is a small, but somewhat ineffective, ratcheting mechanism for noise. It doesn't sound like actual winding but more of a clicking. I can also do it by hand with what I have here, but it's so meh that I didn't bother mentioning it. You can also see just how off scale they are to each other here, but to be fair, the designer made it to get the idea across, and probably figured not too many people would actually care about the proper dimensions.

Screenshot_20230924_065204.jpg

But a real, clock winding mechanism and sound would be a fun addition! Perhaps down the line, I have lots of other stuff to tackle!

*Update* Tik Tok's Chest and Collar Rivets

I was unhappy with the plain brass 3D printed filament look that my prior post about these had. I painted one to match my previous few Tik Tok pieces posts. Same deal. Looks better in person, of course. And much better than a plain, single solid color. That is all.

20230930_195229 Crop.jpg

Dorothy's Carved Pumpkin- Psych Hospital Room Decoration
AKA "Real," Cottonwood Falls, Kansas Jack Pumpkinhead

It's almost time for Halloween, and Return to Oz does not disappoint! Even though the whole movie is creepy, and is a good watch for this time of year, it is almost Halloween in the story as well. As I mentioned in post #35, about the tornado clipping, it is 6 months since Dorothy survived the tornado of Wizard of Oz, which took place in April, making the movie's timeframe October.

The "Ozma" girl (real- or imaginary?) tells Dorothy in her room at Dr. Worley's clinic that it is almost Halloween. How did she get in there, anyway? The door is never heard to open. No matter the case, she presents Dorothy with an undeniably real carved pumpkin, that stays in her room even after she leaves. Ozma must have carved and "created" the face, which is why Jack recognizes her as his real mom at the end of the movie, and not Dorothy, who is more of an adoptive, stepmom type figure in his life.

oz01.JPG
oz04.JPG

As with many things Dorothy sees in Kansas that are the inspirations for what she encounters in Oz, this is, of course, the "real" Jack Pumpkinhead! There is a big list of these inspirations, that I do not currently want to list, so as not to spoil any future posts ;).

Here's another shot, after "Ozma" disappears from the room and Dorothy is waiting for the squeaky gurney to "Wheeler" her to her electroshock doom.

oz13.JPG

I think this is at a Disney convention- a display of Return to Oz props with this carved pumpkin. Not sure of the provenance, or if it's a replica, but take it for what it's worth.

ac5a6e7eabdac6be6719f2f02fb47a58.jpg

Seemed like a fitting candidate for my next build. So I got one of those hollow craft pumpkins from Michael's, on sale of course because of the season. Ashland brand, about 6" tall and 6" in diameter, this was the closest I could find that seemed to match what we see on screen. It's a very dense foam like material, but not actual styrofoam. The original was possibly (?) a real pumpkin, since it's only in a few shots. But then again, there is that above prop display. So I'm not sure.

Here it is in all of it's obviously fake, almost cartoon-like glory. Much too consistent looking for me.

20231005_194105.jpg

So I weathered it up a bit to look more like the real deal. I used primarily burnt umber and "cafe mocha" acrylic paints for the vertical lines, and cafe mocha again, along with antique gold and medium flesh for the stalk. Much better.

20231005_200310.jpg

Then using my reference images (not all shown here) I penciled in the face. It's a good thing that pencil erases pretty well on this surface, because I had to redraw that miserable mouth too many times. But I got it to a point where I was satisfied. There are 5 teeth on top, and 4 on the bottom.

20231006_190912.jpg20231006_190915.jpg

Carving time! Some places online claim you can use actual pumpkin carving tools on these, but after a test, it leaves the edges too ragged. So, I used the method recommended on the tag- use a hot knife. Thankfully, my wood burning / soldering iron has a screw in exacto blade attachment, which worked just fine. The curvature of the eyes matches the screenshots, and I did cut the top lid, as it is visible on screen. I'm showing off in dim lighting, so the lighter colored interior looks more black, like what we see, and not too bright as it would in natural lighting. I don't really want to paint the interior black (since real pumpkins aren't), but it is an option. After a test on the eye pieces, I can confirm that spray paint doesn't melt this dense foam, and brushing on acrylic paint will suck in a lot of paint. But it is possible. Cut the lid and spray inside, then cut the face.

20231006_194418.jpg
20231006_194435.jpg
20231006_194512.jpg

Sure, it may just look like any old carved pumpkin, but amongst the other Oz stuff in my collection, it is undeniable that it belongs there. Another satisfying prop project. Propject?

Quiz time! I left out a bunch of reference pics, which is directly related to this, that will be in a post soon about another acquisition. Post your guesses, if you so choose!

Last edited:
Love stuff like this! Is there a name for this kinda prop, where it's used in a movie to foreshadow a character that's met later? Something about that just seems extra magical to me, especially how it's used in Return to Oz (And Labyrinth of course). Mundane objects become fantastical characters... really gets the imagination going what stuff we have around us in our everyday lives could be a fun little character we'd meet on an adventure. Great little piece to add to your collection!

Love stuff like this! Is there a name for this kinda prop, where it's used in a movie to foreshadow a character that's met later? Something about that just seems extra magical to me, especially how it's used in Return to Oz (And Labyrinth of course). Mundane objects become fantastical characters... really gets the imagination going what stuff we have around us in our everyday lives could be a fun little character we'd meet on an adventure. Great little piece to add to your collection!
Indirect foreshadowing gives the reader subtle clues to events that will happen in the future. The reader usually will not even realize the importance of the foreshadowing until after the event has taken place.

Here's the best description I could find. Nothing specifically related to objects, though.

Thanks for the kind words, yet again! Just like Labyrinth, there's a bunch of foreshadowing between Kansas and Oz. Another, very subtle example coming soon...

Billina the Chicken- Research / Fan Theory

This post will be a bit of a deviation from the usual prop update, but I just had a sudden interest in diving into Billina a bit.

hqdefault.jpg
IMG_20150113_172935.jpg
Return-to-OZ-return-to-oz-40532721-3000-2011.jpg

First off, I wanted to determine what kind of chicken she is supposed to be. The books, as far as I am aware, never specify what type she is, just "chicken." According to Google, there are 1600 different chicken breeds in the world. But after a search of "orange feathered chicken," the results came in pretty quick. I believe she is supposed to be a Golden Comet chicken. These chickens seem to be more or less a common breed to raise or have on a farm, so it's not unreasonable to think so. These pictures below seem to match the correct feather coloring and comb / wattle area red flesh. Ignore the crazy chicken eyes- most all of the closeups we see of Billina are of the animatronic version, which likely used less insane eyes to make her seem more intelligent.

Golden-Comet.jpg
Golden-Comet (2).jpg
Golden-Comet (1).jpg

I may be wrong, but if so, let me know. I'm not about to go through hundreds of chicken breed pictures. This seemed to hit the mark.

At some point I would like to be able to have either a very good plush, or a taxidermied Golden Comet chicken for my display. Normally I don't care about having a full size representation of a character I like, but a chicken is small enough to make an exception, so if anybody has a lead on a good looking version of one, let me know!

Now this bit is a little out there, and most likely has nothing to do with anything. It could just be a bit of seeing connections where none exist. But it's still fun to think about. The movie opens with Dorothy lying in bed, Aunt Em talking to her, and Uncle Henry worrying about her imagination. Dorothy then looks out the window, and sees a shooting star / meteor.

Shooting Star.jpg

This is "supposed" to be the OZ key coming to Kansas for her to find. Billina is the one to actually find it, though. Yes, I am fully aware that a comet is NOT a meteor, but I'm gonna go ahead and make the outlandish connection that the filmmakers chose to make Billina that particular breed of chicken because of this shooting star. Golden Comet chicken finding key delivered by meteor- crazy? Probably, but fun to think about anyway.

Of course, if I am totally wrong about the breed, then this theory is shot out of the window. Oh well.

It's funny, but I've also considered taxidermy in my pursuit of props to add to my Labyrinth collection, or at least where I could find a full-size realistic barn owl approximation. Chicken's might be a bit easier to track down then a barn owl, but food for thought I've seen some folks do really cool "Art doll" versions of animals, so maybe that's an avenue to look into? Though I could also see a custom art doll costing as much as a real taxidermied chicken.

Dorothy's Psych Hospital Room Comb

A comb?! Who cares about a comb. Ah- but this one is special. Very special. Here are several "in action" shots of her play-combing Jack Pumpkinhead's "hair".

oz07.JPG
oz08.JPG
oz09.JPG
oz10.JPG

These 4 shots, maybe 5 seconds of screen time, is all that there is to see of this comb. It is hard to tell the exact length and width, due to how Dorothy is holding it, so I had to make some approximations. There also appears to be some teeth missing off of the shaft. What is 100% visible, though, is the color- transparent red. What else is transparent red in the movie?

7.PNG

That's right- Mombi's key to Cabinet 31, where her real head is kept. Coincidence? Ok, so the color matches, they aren't even the same type of item. Correct, but what did Dorothy look directly at while being dropped off by Aunt Em?

38.PNG

Head Nurse Wilson's, presumably, master key to Dr. Worley's clinic patient rooms, attached to her hip.

Nurse Wilson's key + Pumpkinhead comb = Mombi's Key to Cabinet 31

I'm nearly certain this was the intention. If this connection slipped past you, don't feel bad- I didn't catch on until I was really scrutinizing the screenshots of real world Jack! So now I had to find one. A brief search on the history of plastic reveals that it wasn't invented until 1907, so a plastic comb is a bit of an anachronism in 1899, as combs of the era would be metal, horn, bone, ivory, or wood. It sure couldn't be a glass comb, right? If we ignore historical accuracy, it would just have to be pre-1984, when the movie was shot. A search for vintage combs yielded very few results, but I did find an excellent candidate that doesn't have a year attached to it. The seller could only say that the display box said they were sold for 15 cents. I have no clue when a comb could be bought for so cheap, but that sounds like a good, pre-84 buy to me. The seller also has transparent blue, yellow, and green. Must have been a countertop pack of many colors. Fun coincidence, the seller is in Kansas!

20231013_195431.jpg

It's a vintage Placo Mademoiselle 8.25" x 1.5" comb. It does seem to be a little large, especially if you picture it in a 10 year old girl's hands, but with so few options, this will do. The only other comb I could find was far too wide and had a metal pocket clip attached. I can't currently bring myself to break off any teeth to make it screen accurate. And now for a modest scene recreation:

20231013_195640.jpg
20231013_195622.jpg

Just like the pumpkin, this is another Kansas item that inspires something in Oz. I am pretty pleased to share this find, as I have never seen it get any attention.

Jack Pumpkinhead: "Mom? Mom, is that you?"

Last edited:
Hello to all!

My interests are all over the place. However, I recently came to the realization that I would really like to have my primary collecting focus to be on stuff from Return to Oz, which has always been one of my absolute favorites. I already had a bunch of stuff I made or bought, but wanted to try to find items that were not created just for the movie. So, my intention with this thread is to be an ongoing log / information resource / help center where we can hopefully collaboratively try to identify some things from the creepy Oz movie.

View attachment 1668447

I will also be posting here items I have made, with varying degrees of accuracy. Many things I just want on the shelf, and can revisit when I get more time, or the accuracy bothers me badly enough.

I feel like this movie is enjoyed by many, but doesn't really get much attention in the prop area aside from the Oz key and Tik Tok, and hope that this can be a welcome database of sorts for fellow fans.

I will be updating this thread periodically into the future, so keep an eye out here if you don't see something you have a question about yet.

I would like some help identifying some items in my posts, so please look around!

I've also got a companion thread to show off non-prop items I have. Take a look!

Return to Oz (1985)- A Non-Prop Collection

Thanks to everyone for looking!
If you made the ruby slippers you did a good job. On the originals as you probably know are over two thousand sequins.
I love the original Wizard of Oz and my favorite character is the wicked witch of the west played by Margaret Hamilton. She did such an amazing job as the witch. I am considering being the witch next year and found someone who makes the replica costume including the hat.
I found several photos of a replica broom and I'm sure I can make one very similar to it. However, I can't find any information on why there are red bands on the broomstick. What is the significance?
It looks to me like the 'straw' of the broom was made of natural raffia and was quite long so it hangs over itself. Two metal bands of different thickness and sizes are on it and the crisscross design looks like it could have been made of leather.
Rich Correll owns the original witch costume including the hat and it's in his museum in California. The original broom is owned by someone he knows and the guy refuses to sell it to Rich. It's valued at several million dollars. However, we can replicate this broom fairly easily.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back