Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Where's the talent in putting **** as every third word? Even if could do that :lol

High levels of cursing in film has been around for at least 40 years. I don't think swearing or the lack of it denotes writing talent, sometimes it's appropriate for a story or character.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. For instance my friends all went to A Quiet Place. They came back and raved about it, so I went. I hated it. It was so boring for me. But I haven't seen anyone else apply boring to that film. I just perceive horror films differently then most people.

For me The Last Jedi wasn't a perfect film. Nor was it the worst (that goes to ATOC, still love it though).

All I could think of while watching A Quiet Place was, " and no one figured out why these things never attacked grandpa with his feedbacking hearing aids?" Many folks thought the movie was silly, but it was a standalone. It was different. They tried.

No way that family could have survived.

Watch Cargo, better yet, I am warning you, *dont* watch Cargo

So what would be your assessment of The Room then? Is it a film where the objective faults are scenes being out of focus and that's it? Script is okay, characters make sense, motivations are sound, scenes build properly on each other?
I have no assessment, as I haven’t seen it.

I’m guessing, though, that even as the “worst film ever made,” according to some, subjective arguments could be made as to why it’s good. “Unconventional storytelling” is the description from the wikipedia page that seems to fit that possibility. That’s not to say I’d agree with that assessment, necessarily. Just that it’s a possibility.

High levels of cursing in film has been around for at least 40 years. I don't think swearing or the lack of it denotes writing talent, sometimes it's appropriate for a story or character.

90% percent of the time, unnecessary, and overused. There was a guy who did video on YouTube about the PG-13 F bomb. And how it carries so much more weight to it. Because of the fact it can really only be used once. As people are so fond of saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

90% percent of the time, unnecessary, and overused. There was a guy who did video on YouTube about the PG-13 F bomb. And how it carries so much more weight to it. Because of the fact it can really only be used once. As people are so fond of saying, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Did somebody say Tarantino?

Reactions: JPH

All I could think of while watching A Quiet Place was, " and no one figured out why these things never attacked grandpa with his feedbacking hearing aids?" Many folks thought the movie was silly, but it was a standalone. It was different. They tried.

No way that family could have survived.

Watch Cargo, better yet, I am warning you, *dont* watch Cargo

This was my problem with it. Nearly every scare, was a jump scare. And I have a gift or curse that I can see jump scares coming a mile off. So when it happens I'm so completely ready for it, it doesn't scare me in the least bit.

Reactions: JPH

We all have personal taste but I'd be hard pressed to say 9 out of 10 over do it. I'm not personally offended by swearing since I work in industrial construction.

If JJ and Ruin (and many others today) were around in the 40's and 50's they would be in the same class as Ed Wood. Of course bad poorly written films have always been around, the difference is that they were regarded as such. Today the mediocre writers/directors are making the A-list films. It's like Ed Wood was tapped to make a big budget sequel to Gone with the Wind.

If JJ and Ruin (and many others today) were around in the 40's and 50's they would be in the same class as Ed Wood. Of course bad poorly written films have always been around, the difference is that they were regarded as such. Today the mediocre writers/directors are making the A-list films. It's like Ed Wood was tapped to make a big budget sequel to Gone with the Wind.

Most excellent point. What used to be mundane has become the exceptional. And more to that end: creativity seems to be dying (or dead) overall. We're rehashing the same movies again and again and again without end. We get a new King Kong almost every decade for example. I'm sick and tired of seeing different spins on the same plots.

And to others who are thinking it: don't say new intellectual properties can't succeed in Hollywood. That's bull****, plenty of movies have done well in recent years that had no relation to recopied movies.

Last edited:

I have no assessment, as I haven’t seen it.

I’m guessing, though, that even as the “worst film ever made,” according to some, subjective arguments could be made as to why it’s good. “Unconventional storytelling” is the description from the wikipedia page that seems to fit that possibility. That’s not to say I’d agree with that assessment, necessarily. Just that it’s a possibility.
So basically beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we should all agree to disagree...I understand your approach and point of view, it's just different to mine. I do believe in logic, craft and certain rules when it comes to art. Of course, rules are to be broken if something new is to be made, but as Picasso said "you need to learn the rules like a pro in order to break them like an artist".
Thanks for the discussion though. :cheers

I wouldn't go that far. Both Star Trek - The Star Trek and TFA are very competently made movies. I really like how TFA looks, there is a good craftsmanship in cinematography, shots are really well blocked, the pacing is a bit too fast, but there's some genuinely good moviemaking there. I would give some credit to Johnson too as a directos, mostly on the basis of Looper. Their writing though should be in check by someone more competent, no doubt about that.
Ed Wood had absolutely no competency, it all made sense in his head I guess but he didn't really know anything about filmmaking and directing other than sticking the camera somewhere. Hence my earlier reference to The Room when good vs bad filmmaking was discussed.

So basically beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we should all agree to disagree...I understand your approach and point of view, it's just different to mine. I do believe in logic, craft and certain rules when it comes to art. Of course, rules are to be broken if something new is to be made, but as Picasso said "you need to learn the rules like a pro in order to break them like an artist".
Thanks for the discussion though. :cheers
More or less, yes, as “kum-ba-yah, everyone’s opinion gets a participation award”-ish as that sounds, heh. It doesn’t mean I think that opinions are useless, themselves. Just the back and forth over “it’s bad!” “It’s good!” It’s nice to have civil discussions like this here. :cheers

I actually think we have discussed it beyond that. Sure there's a lot of kiddish back and forth and it's annoying, both "sides" considered, I agree. But there's literally hundreds of pages of discussion with plenty of intelligent discourse. Might as well close the forum down then if it's so pointless and we just always agree to disagree and glide on our star-studded roads of tranquil equilibrium.
And no, technicalities do exist in the script, direction, character motivation as well. There is a craft to writing a script, checking your boxes if your plot is tight, your characters' decisions make sense and so on and so forth.

This can happen sometimes when a torch is grabbed and ran with many months after the discussion started. I doubt there has been another movie more dissected in this entire forums history.

Did I just read Disney doesnt care if Solo flopped? Surely not.:wacko

When you can clearly define a flaw and people defend it, then you arent having a legit discussion. Bombers flying so close with armed bombs...and people defend it. Hyperspace ramming, like no o e ever thought of it, breaks Star Wars, and people defend it.

There is the issue. I am all for a discussion, but if Rey tells storm troopers to hold their guns backwards, and they all shoot themselves, someone would try to defend it as genius.

The rest of us realize how absolutely, inexcusably dumb it was.

We've seen people claim Annakin was an orphan, think that Kylo didnt get that much training from *Uncle Luke*, but those same folks are unphased by Rey's insta-mastery.

We just want a good movie. If you have a good point...GREAT! But when you defend something inexcusable, you get 60 -200 pages thread

The idea of the bombs in TLJ dropping is explained in a book. It’s canon. No “defender” input required. As far as practicality I don’t see why they’d design something like that, in universe, but it’s not like there’s no official explanation. You think it’s stupid? Cool, I don’t disagree. Still canon.

As for what you’re mentioning more specifically now, the bombers flying close together: one could say the same thing about the TIEs flanking Vader in the first Death Star trench. Why so close? What did they think would happen? I think it’s a dumb formation in either case.

There are also plenty of other examples from the OT that one could point to, if we’re discussing flaws or plot holes. We don’t talk about those because no one here has the opinion that those moves are bad, as far as I can tell. But they’re still there.

The idea of the bombs in TLJ dropping is explained in a book. It’s canon. No “defender” input required. As far as practicality I don’t see why they’d design something like that, in universe, but it’s not like there’s no official explanation. You think it’s stupid? Cool, I don’t disagree. Still canon.

As for what you’re mentioning more specifically now, the bombers flying close together: one could say the same thing about the TIEs flanking Vader in the first Death Star trench. Why so close? What did they think would happen? I think it’s a dumb formation in either case.

There are also plenty of other examples from the OT that one could point to, if we’re discussing flaws or plot holes. We don’t talk about those because no one here has the opinion that those moves are bad, as far as I can tell. But they’re still there.

Here we go again...

They armed the bombs INSIDE the bombers. And no, the explanation of magnetism didn't jive with how the bombs fell. I know, first, claim they were magnetically driven, then claim its fantasy when your science is wrong. Even nowadays bombs aren't armed until released. The last bomber crews were imbeciles.

It was an utterly braindead maneuver. Don't believe me, they blew themselves up.

TIEs next to Vader...yet another false comparison. Everyone hand wingmen, including Luke. The trench IS A TRENCH!!! Not a lot of room.

But thank you for supporting my prior post so well.

The problems with the OT are generally overlooked because the rest of the story is compelling, entertaining and well done. I can't say the same about TLJ. If I'm bored watching a movie, I'll be much more critical of it, and less willing to accept it's flaws.

Bad movies are much more open to criticism than good movies. I can suspend disbelief only so much. I can always point out flaws in military tactics, gun handling, and other things I have experience with, but only as long as the rest of the film is decent. In my opinion, The Last Jedi was not compelling, entertaining, or well done.

As far as Kathleen Kennedy, she likely won't step down, voluntarily or otherwise, until EP IX results are in. If it's a failure, or underperforms, she'll be replaced in all likelihood. Probably just to be shuffled over to another aspect of Disney, unless she gets an offer from somewhere else. Maybe she can go run DC movies. Couldn't possibly hurt.

Here we go again...

They armed the bombs INSIDE the bombers. And no, the explanation of magnetism didn't jive with how the bombs fell. I know, first, claim they were magnetically driven, then claim its fantasy when your science is wrong. Even nowadays bombs aren't armed until released. The last bomber crews were imbeciles.

It was an utterly braindead maneuver. Don't believe me, they blew themselves up.

TIEs next to Vader...yet another false comparison. Everyone hand wingmen, including Luke. The trench IS A TRENCH!!! Not a lot of room.

But thank you for supporting my prior post so well.

Just for funs.

If I remember, most bombs today are armed by the use of a propeller. So naturally, there is no air in space so you can't use propellers on your bombs. So why not have a remote arming, so they are armed after they drop? Perhaps there are ways to interfere with the bombs preventing the bombs from arming themselves? This would force them to arm the bombs in the ship before dropping to ensure that they detonated.

As far as the formation:

896EC611-67B3-4131-9844-DD6DDA32000E.jpeg

The concept is the same as with the WW2 bombers that the scene is based upon. Large gaps would allow fighters to get in between and wreak havoc. In the case of TLJ, the idea was sound, but in practice the gunners were either not skilled enough to deal with the TIEs, or there were too many. Flawed strategy for that reason, but the tight formation was purposeful. And much more sensible than the 3 TIEs in the Death Star trench, which was a bit like three motorcycles riding side by side in one lane down a highway.

As far as arming the bombs early, watch the scene again. A bomber is shot down and explodes prior to arming happening, and then, after arming when several more bombers are shot down/crashed into, look at the explosions. Not wildly different, as it would be if arming the bombs would turn them from inert spheres into weapons.

An alternative source of detonation, from either FO blaster fire or the TIE crashing into one of the bombers in this case, could make the explosive ordnance on board explode just as well whether the bombs had been armed or not. Nothing in canon indicates that the bombs in question are like plastic explosives, which, while a bit more resistant to exploding due to external forces, are still not impervious to it. A TIE crashing into the bomber could set of a chain reaction of explosions, especially when the TIE crashed directly into the bottom of the bomber’s magazine, or “clip.” (Canon term, not mine.)

Since we don’t know exactly how vulnerable the material in these bomber would be to outside forces, we’re left looking for other clues. And in the film, as mentioned above, the bomber that explodes before the bombs are armed doesn’t seem to explode any differently than those that are shot down after arming.

To demonstrate:
Before arming:

7B7D30D2-DA3D-4D10-87C3-6D7714AA4F88.jpg62B1B099-3295-49BB-B69F-63D104271E85.jpg

and after arming:

D0030B93-8150-40FE-A7C2-9CF81323EE2E.pngD22CBA9D-E0E4-478C-9622-5F40A44DCA94.jpg

In short: it fails spectacularly as a plan, that much is undeniable. The reason for that is because the story demanded that it happen. But it’s not as stupid of a plan as it might seem at first glance.

Except...

WWII bombers came in waves on a planet. Not six. But hundreds of bombers.

Even in our world, bombers have clips attached to their ship, when dropped, the clips armed the bombs.

Your observation is entirely absurd. In space you can approach from ANY direction. Six bombers from six different directions means reduction of incoming fire by 84%!!!

Whoever wrote your blurb is trying to excuse bad writing. Ignoring reality and credible tactics doesnt make it acceptable.

Good thing Poe took out their anti-aircraft! That was sarcasm.

Clumping together results in the enemy aiming for ONE BIG TARGET. They died. It was a frivilous waste of personel and ships.

And, as I recall, one, lone bomber DID make it. ;)

Gee, wonder why ?

So yes, it was a completely stupid plan. Vacuous of any common sense or strategy. This is supposed to be the Last bomber fleet, so even more insult to how plainly ridiculous the entire scene was.

The story demanding something really really stupid happen is the backbone of tlj.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back