Kaligar replica lenses

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys,

I spent a few hours today modeling my Kaligar lenses, with the idea that it might be cool to have some static replicas machined from aluminum.
Here's the model. I'm imagining this as a static one piece part to keep the cost down, with a glass eye in the center. There wouldn't be any engraving, but maybe Trent or someone could work out decals for the numbers.

What do you all think? Is this a project worth pursuing?

Kaligar replica3.JPG
Kaligar replica.JPG
Kaligar replica2.JPG

Yes that's indeed an interesting idea, but as Trooper trent said, Parks made a set recently and you might want to look at his offering to come up with something different to offer to the community. (y)

Yes, for sure. It seems these are probably the most expensive, and hard to find parts. This would probably be enough to get me off the fence about macros.

Yes, for sure. It seems these are probably the most expensive, and hard to find parts. This would probably be enough to get me off the fence about macros.
the issue is still that there is no alternative to the Kalimar hood either. For that reason you always need a Kalimar, no matter what you use for the lenses. Hopefully having some replica of the lenses would help lower the prices of the real Kalimars and we could buy one replica and one Kalimar for less that today.

I think it's a great idea, Dan!

Like Trent said, Parks recently made some, but I don't know the whole story.

Either way, I think A TON of folks would breathe a massive sigh of relief if these were made available!

Does anyone know how much Parks' sell for? I remember seeing them on e-bay. But, I don't know what the final price was or if there are more available.

My thought here is to do a small order of these (like 10 sets) if I can get my shop to quote me something cheap as chips

with your high reputation and if you manage to have a "cheap as chips" price, you can probably go for more than 10sets! My advice would also to accept to split the sets as some people might want just one. As I said before, you also need the kalimar hood to do the macros.
price of the Parks set was 400$

He really did do a great job on them. For the most part. It's funny that some areas are virtually perfect, while others are close approximations. Perhaps it has to do with molding and casting some parts, vs modeling and machining others.

with your high reputation and if you manage to have a "cheap as chips" price, you can probably go for more than 10sets! My advice would also to accept to split the sets as some people might want just one. As I said before, you also need the kalimar hood to do the macros.
price of the Parks set was 400$
That's odd. I could have sworn those listed for $599 because we were talking in a private group about how they're nice but also almost as expensive as real lenses used to be a couple of years ago. I'm thinking it didn't sell so he bumped it down maybe. This is the only set I've seen so I don't know if there's a run. There's no info on his site and he hasn't responded to my messages about them.

I haven't seen another set either and don't know if there will be a run but he is mentioning in the desciption that there will also be a replica of the Eumig. So maybe he is planning a run of several parts for the macro and this was just a test for the market value or something.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back