Just Pre-Ordered the Glowforge Laser Cutter!

Flip and ENGRAVE is no problem, they are saying you can easily cut halfway through a material then flip and CUT the other half of it. It is incredibly difficult to line up cut lines when you flip something, so much so that I never do it.

That's one of the big selling points of this machine. The internal cameras read the material you're placing inside and don't require you to line anything up. The camera and the software automatically adjust to the material's location.

Re: Glowforge Laser Cutter: Many Questions Answered

I wish I had decided to pre-order mine sooner. I didn't understand how the referral system worked, and now I Im kicking myself for waiting so long. But there is still a little time left. If anyone wants in on this, please use my referral link. I know I am jumping onto this thing very late, but I could really use that discount.

http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=UStk6J

1) Cloud software. Must use a browser and the company's website to cut. FAIL.

2) Cutter is not compatible with G Code. You can not use common CAD/CAM software to interface with this cutter. FAIL. In the future if this company goes Bankrupt you are out of luck.

Can the Marketing Shills in this thread speak on these issues?

1) Cloud software. Must use a browser and the company's website to cut. FAIL.

2) Cutter is not compatible with G Code. You can not use common CAD/CAM software to interface with this cutter. FAIL. In the future if this company goes Bankrupt you are out of luck.

Can the Marketing Shills in this thread speak on these issues?

1) They've already announced they are releasing the software for the cutter so if they ever do go out of business, the device can be used as a stand alone Gcode cutter.

2) See #1
2 ext) See #1

The beauty of this device for ME, is that I can simply use Illustrator, or Photoshop...programs I am intimately proficient in.
I'm in the process of building a shop CNC, so eventually, I'll have to learn CAD and I'm fine with that. That all being said, it won't be long before someone releases a full "cloud like" app that runs on a PC locally to the Glowforge.

1) They've already announced they are releasing the software for the cutter so if they ever do go out of business, the device can be used as a stand alone Gcode cutter.

2) See #1
2 ext) See #1

The beauty of this device for ME, is that I can simply use Illustrator, or Photoshop...programs I am intimately proficient in.
I'm in the process of building a shop CNC, so eventually, I'll have to learn CAD and I'm fine with that. That all being said, it won't be long before someone releases a full "cloud like" app that runs on a PC locally to the Glowforge.

Just a heads up,

The CEO of glowforge recently did an interview with Tested (and this may be repeated other places I didn't bother checking but in that interview he clearly states):

Glowforge doesn't run on G-Code, and they are not releasing the software. They've since stated "We'll publish a reference version [of the firmware]" "It's not something where you will flip a switch and it will work offline". They also stated any modification of the firmware voids your warranty, and that they are only releasing one version of the firmware, meaning as they update and fix bugs they won't be helping anyone that wants to void their warranty and make adjustments to the machine. There is a huuuuuge difference in releasing firmware and software. This means that any offline conversion to g-code will need to be reprogrammed on the machine. The impression I'm getting from most of the people buying a glowforge is one of the big reasons is that it is the "Apple" of laser cutters. Whether or not that is true, those people also don't tend to be the ones who are programming custom firmware or conversions to run g code.

It's totally fine if you're psyched about Glowforge and are taking the plunge, I hope it works out. But please at least check your facts before writing off anyone that has something negative to say about this product. A lot has changed from the first day Glowforge went up and the company went into panic mode saying they would make an offline version to sate all of the backlash.

I'm confused as to why you say that you are able to use photoshop/illustrator with "this" cutter. Nothing is stopping you from using them with a different one!

http://www.tested.com/tech/548192-going-depth-glowforge-laser-cutter/

That's one of the big selling points of this machine. The internal cameras read the material you're placing inside and don't require you to line anything up. The camera and the software automatically adjust to the material's location.

The only problem I see with that is if your material isnt square at the edges it will be off when flipped. Not to mention the edges will have a pyramid shape to them if cutting from both sides due to the way lasers work.

Is there any pictures of the filter?

I just wanted to let you all know, I was told my referral link will be good for $100 off UNTIL the first pre-orders launch because it has been doing so well.

The Glowforge is STILL 40% off at present time, but will be going up at "some" point. Not sure when that will be. So if you're on the fence, I'd make the decision sooner rather than later so you aren't stuck buying at MSRP.

Here's the referral link again! http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=FrvUGs

Last edited by a moderator:
I was excited about this thing as well when I first saw the tested video, BUT after talking to the laser operators at our shop I was a little more apprehensive. I haven't looked recently, but at the time I didn't see anything about how the warranty was going to work. Our shop guys were also very concerned about the plastic case, not only because of potential fire from misaligned lasers, but also if it does get a crack in the wrong place it could cause misalignment as well and that adds to the danger. I also have to question the 50% off pre-order. I know a lot of kickstarter type projects offer discounts as such, but 50% off is quite a big cut. So either they are really over priced on their final retail, in which case they won't likely succeed long term, or they are planning on just barely making any profit on the pre-sale, which means if ANY issues come up they likely may not be able to fulllfill all of the pre-sale orders. Also, I wonder if the average hobby/craft person is going to be ready to spend $500 every year and half or so to replace the tube as well as hundreds for the filters. that's quite a big annual cost for a hobby set-up. I know a lot of guys here have no issue spending that, but if they don't get enough overall support long term then they may very well just not make it.

The team does have an impressive list of people working on it and it may very well be the best thing since sliced bread, I hope it is! But I am going to wait until they have a little time under their belt and have proven themselves in a market beyond just successfully marketing a kid's board game.

Just my 2 cents.
Bill

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back