JURASSIC WORLD Owen Grady Costume

MartyMcPhly

Jr Member
Hey guys, was surprised to see no one had started a thread on this costume so I figured I would share some of the info I've uncovered in the hunt to put mine together!

On a whim, I actually reached out to one of the film's costume designers via social media and much to my surprise he responded and was super nice and helpful.

"We made Chris Pratt's shirts as we needed so many multiples but it was indeed based on a tropical outdoorsman shirt from REI or some company like that. We looked at so many inspiration shirts, I can't remember which . It was also overdyed to give it a more organic earthy rugged look. We also made the leather safari style vest. Good luck!"

THE SHIRT
This came after looking at just about every safari/guide/fishing/outdoorsman-style shirt on the internet. I looked at the shirts on REI's site but none featured the unique details seen in the hi-res images released thus far. And then I came across the Men's Aransas Pass Long Sleeve Shirt at Academy Sports & Outdoors which is an almost identical match. The one catch is they do not make it in that grey blue-ish color. But as he said, they over-dyed his shirt for the film which you can do with the light blue color to get it screen accurate. You'd also have to replace the buttons which is easy. If you don't want to go to that trouble, a good alternate is the Columbia Men's Tamiami II Long Sleeve Shirt. Perfect color and similar in style and detail. Just not screen accurate. There are a number of other similar shirts in that color that will work. Just have to do a little digging!

Chris Pratt i Jurassic World 2.jpeg
Chris Pratt i Jurassic World 3.jpegChris Pratt i Jurassic World.jpeg
DdnRanO.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 10.33.11 PM.png

THE VEST
The vest is already being reproduced by a number of online replica jacket makers. Not sure on the quality of those. I actually found the one they used for inspiration which is very similar in detail right down to the pockets and zippers. I just received mine and IT'S PERFECT. So happy with it. Really nice leather, very good quality and fits great. It's listed as black but actually looks very dark brown just like Grady's. The best part is it's a whole $100 cheaper than the reproductions!

THE BOOTS
The boots I have not ID'd. The costume designer simply noted "The boots were some simple rough out boots." I have followed up with him to see if he can give me the brand but based on all the hi-res photos and screen shots, the details make them appear to be Timberland Earthkeepers Chelsea pull-on style boots. Though Timberland makes a number of men's boots like this that are all similar but differ in detail. I haven't been about to ID them as the only photo you get a good look at them in is this one.

IMG_4399.JPG

THE PANTS
A lot of Grady's costume is very off-the-rack-looking clothing (giving him that everyman look) that can be found at a lot of stores while still achieving a screen accuracy. The pants are a basic 5-pocket canvas or twill pants in a dark gray. Those can be found just about anywhere.

THE BELT
The costume designer also noted that they made his belt. However, it is a basic style dark brown leather with a gold buckle that you can easily find.

THE ACCESSORIES
Other costume elements include a watch (which the costume designer said he thinks was "a navy seal style watch."). I'm sure that will be ID'd once the film comes out and we get a look at it on the big screen. He also wears a knife sheath the back of the belt and knife holster worn on the side of the belt. They made those too so best just to get one off Amazon that will do the job.

THE GUN
Grady's gun is a Marlin Model 1895SBL fitted with a scope and shoulder strap. They unfortunately do not make a airsoft replica of this gun however they do make very similar toy and airsoft replicas of lever action Winchester rifles that you can alter to look like the Marlin.

Chris Pratt i Jurassic World 2.jpeg

Chris Pratt i Jurassic World 3.jpeg

Chris Pratt i Jurassic World.jpeg

DdnRanO.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 10.33.11 PM.png

IMG_4399.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I never bothered to make a thread because I didn't have a whole lot to add. Somehow I missed the bit about his shirt but I've been staring at the "air strip" style shirts from a brand called Ex Officio. I definitely like the shirts you have linked here, and probably gonna jump on that vest you posted as well. Working on putting this together in time for the premiere but we'll see, may have to debut at a con towards the end of the year.

This is a great post! One question about the shirt. Do you know what color dye they used to dye the shirt or any suggestions on what color to dye the Aransas Pass Blue/White shirt to make the color mach the color in the film?

Last edited:
I'm starting to put this costume together. For the shirt, I'll probably end up using RIT Dye. They have a wide selection of colors that come in both powders and liquids. Not sure how well the powders work, but the liquids are great if there isn't any kind of weird coating on the fabric (like faux leather). Basically, this shirt will soak up the color really well.

I'll probably use RIT's ROYAL BLUE LIQUID DYE with the Aransas Pass shirt the OP linked. Here's the link to the color:
http://store.ritstudio.com/liquid-d...rce=Core_RoyalBlueLiquid&utm_campaign=ShopNow

You can find RIT in most Hobby/Fabric stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnns.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to put this costume together. For the shirt, I'll probably end up using RIT Dye. They have a wide selection of colors that come in both powders and liquids. Not sure how well the powders work, but the liquids are great if there isn't any kind of weird coating on the fabric (like faux leather). Basically, this shirt will soak up the color really well.

I'll probably use RIT's ROYAL BLUE LIQUID DYE with the Aransas Pass shirt the OP linked. Here's the link to the color:
http://store.ritstudio.com/liquid-d...rce=Core_RoyalBlueLiquid&utm_campaign=ShopNow

You can find RIT in most Hobby/Fabric stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnns.

That was the dye color I had my eye on as well. Are you going to use the Magellan shirt from Academy? I was trying to figure out if that was still the dye color to go with to achieve screen accuracy considering they unfortunately don't make it in white and the lightest color it's available in is that light blue color. Was wondering what color would come out using that Royal.

Also, I got my Columbia shirt in from Amazon and it's dead on in terms of color and the light grid pattern. If you don't want to mess with dying a shirt, this one works really well. And I have a feeling it's one of the shirts they used as a model for the ones they produced for the film considering the costume designer said they looked at just about every outdoorsman shirt at every major outdoors store and that model of Columbia shirt is one of the most popular. Seems like the color and pattern was inspired by the Columbia Men's Tamiami II Long Sleeve Shirt and the details were inspired by the Men's Aransas Pass Long Sleeve Shirt at Academy Sports & Outdoors

An update on the gun. The closest thing in detail to a Marlin Model 1895SBL I've found in an airsoft/air rifle/BB gun is the classic Daisy Red Ryder, which you'll have to paint and add a cheap $10 scope to though that is not too difficult. There's a few online tutorials just a Google search away! For the scope, both Daisy and Crosman make ones that are compatible but none that appear screen accurate. For that, I would go with something like this. It's the same shape as the scope Grady has on his gun in the film.

As for the strap, I haven't been able to ID that yet. It appears to be black canvas and rubber with vertical slots that hold bullets. Curious if our friends from Dragon Leatherworks made that too?!

View attachment 478582

I like the Columbia shirt a lot and would agree that the color is waaaay more accurate than the Aransas Pass shirt, and dealing with dye can be a hassle, BUT... I'm a little OCD for screen accuracy and I just can't get around the pockets on the Columbia shirt. I like the pockets on the Aransas Pass shirt more... Hahaha. I guess ultimately it comes down to whether or not you want to dye a shirt or buy one and be finished... Both are great options, and it's nice to know you were looking at the same color dye as I am... ;-)

Hey everybody! With some digging, I found a pretty good reproduction of the vest, available in genuine leather or faux leather. It comes pre-distressed, which I think is nice, considering the other repros do not (at least the ones I've seen). I might order it, but I want your opinions. I've provided the link to the site below. Place seems legit, but they've been around since 2009 and I haven't been able to dig up too many reviews. The link will take you to their black version of the vest. I've posted an image with the brown version here, which is closer to the screen color. Let me know what you guys think. I'd hate to get excited, jump the gun, and then be scammed.

http://sky-seller.com/Halloween-Costumes/jurassic-world-chris-pratt-vest

large.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everybody! With some digging, I found a pretty good reproduction of the vest, available in genuine leather or faux leather. It comes pre-distressed, which I think is nice, considering the other repros do not (at least the ones I've seen). I might order it, but I want your opinions. I've provided the link to the site below. Place seems legit, but they've been around since 2009 and I haven't been able to dig up too many reviews. The link will take you to their black version of the vest. I've posted an image with the brown version here, which is closer to the screen color. Let me know what you guys think. I'd hate to get excited, jump the gun, and then be scammed.

http://sky-seller.com/Halloween-Costumes/jurassic-world-chris-pratt-vest

View attachment 478935

I've always had pretty bad luck with those sites. They're often inconsistent, use cheap materials and shoddy workmanship. They trick you with photos of a product that you don't actually receive when you order. The photo on the site where you can see the actual vest and it's pre-distressing makes it look black and not very accurate. You can tell it's made of cheap shiny leather as well. I can't say enough good things about this vest that I ordered and received, which is such quality leather and the color is almost dead on (a very dark brown that will distress better). So happy with it. And a fraction of the price.

I've always had pretty bad luck with those sites. They're often inconsistent, use cheap materials and shoddy workmanship. They trick you with photos of a product that you don't actually receive when you order. The photo on the site where you can see the actual vest and it's pre-distressing makes it look black and not very accurate. You can tell it's made of cheap shiny leather as well. I can't say enough good things about this vest that I ordered and received, which is such quality leather and the color is almost dead on (a very dark brown that will distress better). So happy with it. And a fraction of the price.

Thank you for the input. My gut was telling me not to get that vest and go with the one you originally posted (for all the reasons you just listed, and a few more). Plus, I can distress that one myself, to my liking. I will say, in the defense of the company I linked to, they were good about responding via e-mail in a timely manner. HOWEVER, my "Spidey-Sense" went off when I saw it came from a mobile phone, and when asked where their stuff shipped from, they simply said they had a warehouse in the United States. Just figured the link and their offerings would at least be good for discussion.

I'm ordering my vest and shirt today! Gonna go with the vest you posted and the Aransas Pass shirt option and dye it. I'll post photos here as I go so you guys can see how it turns out! Also, for all of your information, my friend/roommate and I will be making a Jurassic World Logo Sign for our appartment. We MIGHT offer those in the near future, but I'll at least toss a pic on here so you guys can see how that turns out too!

The one item I've had trouble ID'ing is Grady's watch...I can never get a look at the face since he's wearing it John McClane style. The costume designer wasn't much help here, telling me "a navy seal style watch." The classic Navy Seal watch is a Luminox 3000 Series. The glimpses I've caught in the trailers somewhat resemble the all black face model of this watch with white hands (the only detail of the face I've caught). Though the shape doesn't look like a Luminox, which is more perfectly rounded. This watch looks bulky. The band is the best view we've gotten, which is the double clasp. That said, this is also the type of band Casio G-Shocks use, which is another go-to military watch and much more resembles the watch in this photo.

54ceb7e3e7bcf2ae15394c8d_super-bowl-jurassic-world.jpg

One of the more recent videos on the Jurassic World Facebook ALMOST reveals the watch as Chris Pratt is making as joke about his watch but we never see it. Though it does appear to have side buttons, which the Luminox does not and the G-Shock does.

54ceb7e3e7bcf2ae15394c8d_super-bowl-jurassic-world.jpg

Managed to find this shot. Only slightly better than nothing...

Attachments

• Chris Pratt i Jurassic World.jpg
    Chris Pratt i Jurassic World.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 497
I ordered the Magellan shirt (thanks, Marty McPhly!) and put a little comprehensive guide to dying it for screen accuracy.
These images were made using Photoshop, to avoid wasting actual dye that I purchased.

1) Here is the original shirt. I'm working with the intention of having the base colour contribute to 50% of the final colour.
01_original.jpg

2) Here are the 3 colours I ordered from: http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/idye-for-natural-and-poly-fabrics.html
Because this shirt is a polyester shirt, be sure to ORDER THE POLYESTER DYES.
The colours I ordered were:

a) Turquoise (Mixing with the original colour of the shirt to form the base colour)
b) Royal Blue (for darkness)
c) Silver (for desaturation)

I played around with some photoshop settings, keeping in mind that the original shirt colour will be contributing to 50% of the final colour and came up with the following formula.

02_colours.jpg

To ensure the dyes don't completely take over the original shirt colour, I am mixing in more than the recommended amount of water.
Royal Blue and Silver = 1:8 dye/water ratio each
Turquoise = 1:4 dye/water ratio

3) And the final result, in theory should be as follows:
03_dyed.jpg

If you're really careful, you may want to dye it lightly multiple times...

Dye it once, let it dry, compare the colors, tweak the dye mix, dye it again, let it dry, compare the colors, etc.

Good luck :)

I've always thought is was a Casio GA100-1A1CU. Still waiting for that perfect picture to confirm.

Thought the same thing. But before I gambled away $81.50, I ordered this G-Shock knock-off. Same basic details , including the shape and the double clasp/double hole band. It'll do for now, until it gets ID'd. Actually not a bad everyday wear watch. Actually ended up ordering the army green one as well because I liked it so much!

Here's a few of the best shots of the watch that give you an overall idea of the style:

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

Seeing the film on Wednesday afternoon so perhaps getting some glimpses on a giant screen will finally solve the mystery!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back